2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Nolan Steven's College career has ended. Hopefully we will know within a few weeks at the latest about his decision.

MU_Beerman

May 20, 2004
i thought the same thing watching Stevens skate today, but watched games earlier in the year where he looked better. I think hes just tired playing back to backs. I have to wonder if Foleys feet, however, will keep him from progressing past the AHL. They looked bender level at times.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Unless Stevens improves his skating, I honestly just don't see him carve out a career at on the 3rd line in the NHL. I really like him, he just lacks the ability to create much space and it will only get harder the higher he goes. Hopefully he has a good off-season and can find a step or two.
He looked really slow today.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I’d be concerned if it took that long.

It’s one of those situations that you burn this year as an incentive to sign.

Maybe so, with him being a senior I just dont know if signing would affect his graduation. I'd love for him to sign his ELC or maybe Blues loan him to Providence so he can continue his classes.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Wouldn't signing him before the season ends mean he would be eligible to be drafted by Seattle if he becomes that good, or are we cool taking that chance?

I believe so since he is older. He could do what Parayko did, sign an ATO for the AHL, then at the end of the season sign his ELC.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Wouldn't signing him before the season ends mean he would be eligible to be drafted by Seattle if he becomes that good, or are we cool taking that chance?

Believe he would actually have to play this year - if we sign him but he doesn’t play this year in the AHL, then this season wouldn’t count as a professional season?

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Believe he would actually have to play this year - if we sign him but he doesn’t play this year in the AHL, then this season wouldn’t count as a professional season?

Correct, but Blues won’t sign him for this season if he isn’t going to play. If he doesn’t intend on playing in the A this season, Blues will wait until season is over so they don’t burn a year in the ELC.

Reactions: tfriede2

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Yes, but that is a secondary concern. He can go to UFA if he wants to wait until August.

It’s great if he is willing to sign a pre-dated contact starting on July 1. If he isn’t, then we just have to burn the first year so he can get his signing bonus and be a year away from RFA. It just depends on his agent.

It isn’t an issue with Foley because he isnt eligible for UFA this summer. If we sign him then it’ll probably be similar to Parayko, deal starting on July 1 and a PTO in the AHL.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Seattle would be doing us a favor by taking Stevens. And thats not a knock on Stevens at all

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I believe both Stevens and Foley can both be signed to an ELC that starts next season and play in the AHL on an ATO the rest of this season if they’re so inclined. IIRC, I believe that’s what Parayko did we he left school. Stevens probably has more leverage given that his rights expire this year and we have an extra year to get Foley signed.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Well I know that......but what's the skinny on him?

I am not really sure. I am at work so can't really dive too deep into a scouting report. I read a NHL app article that popped up on my phone. Sounds like he is pretty offensive minded defenseman. Really good stats in college.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I did a quick look for Reinke on Eliteprospects.com and hockeydb.com. Smallish PMRD with decent assist totals in 2yrs of NCAA. I liked the fact that he was selected to the US U19 team 2 yrs in a row. He's 22, older than I thought.

Last edited:

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Twitter speculates that Stevens might get time this year on the Blues. So we are fighting for the playoffs and going to throw him in there straight from college?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I am not really sure. I am at work so can't really dive too deep into a scouting report. I read a NHL app article that popped up on my phone. Sounds like he is pretty offensive minded defenseman. Really good stats in college.
That's all I could find too.... if were looking to throw guys in the fire we need LHD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad