2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
He wouldn't hurt the team but he was a long shot as it was. Just wouldn't waste one of the 2 call ups on him.
Part of my thinking here is that the AHL might be a better place for TT developmentally right now. But if that's not the case, then I get not wanting to use a call up on Bennett.

I believe part of the reason that we originally used a call up to send TT down was so that he would technically be eligible for the AHL playoffs...jus sayin

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Kostin will be exempt. His contract slides, so this year doesn't count towards the two years of pro-hockey.

The contract sliding doesn’t change his years of professional hockey.

Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement – meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.

NHL teams receiving information on potential expansion draft - Sportsnet.ca

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Part of my thinking here is that the AHL might be a better place for TT developmentally right now. But if that's not the case, then I get not wanting to use a call up on Bennett.

I believe part of the reason that we originally used a call up to send TT down was so that he would technically be eligible for the AHL playoffs...jus sayin
I agree that TT should be in the AHL. I'm not sure how all this works but I can think of 2 forwards that may be available before the end of the season that may require those transaction spots.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Can you explain this?
Players like Julius Honka played the entire 2014/15 season in the AHL and were included on the exempt list that the NHL released. Can't find a link to that, but you can see he isn't on the Dallas Stars list of available players here.

I don't believe that the NHL actually ever explained the impact the slide rule had on AHL players, it was left up to the media. They don't even think the fans have interest in their teams cap situation, so no surprise they don't publicly release all the details on issues like this.
The contract sliding doesn’t change his years of professional hockey.

NHL teams receiving information on potential expansion draft - Sportsnet.ca
Thanks for the link, that's the rule that makes him exempt. You have to be older than 19 for an AHL season to count as pro hockey.

Last edited:

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I don't believe that the NHL actually ever explained the impact the slide rule had on AHL players.

Go figure the NHL would do something like that. When I looked at the definition it said all minor league regular season games and playoffs. Ugh, I hate the CBA.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Thanks for the link, that's the rule that makes him exempt. You have to be older than 19 for an AHL season to count as pro hockey.

What could possibly be the point of that rule? You're of legal adult age and playing in a professional league, how does that not count as a year of pro hockey?

Not questioning IF it's a rule but more HOW is it a rule? What reasoning could be behind that?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I saw someone compare this play to McDavid and though it was a bit over the top, but I get it. The thing McDavid does better than just about anyone on the planet is to control the puck, even when it isn't on his stick, at top speed. Thomas sure showed a bit of that on this play.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I saw someone compare this play to McDavid and though it was a bit over the top, but I get it. The thing McDavid does better than just about anyone on the planet is to control the puck, even when it isn't on his stick, at top speed. Thomas sure showed a bit of that on this play.
Ironically, the first thing I thought when I saw that highlight was, "that looks like something McDavid would do".

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Ironically, the first thing I thought when I saw that highlight was, "that looks like something McDavid would do".
...only difference is Thomas is doing it against junior players and McDavid would do it against Doughty :laugh:

Still, really impressive play by Thomas there. Great to see him flash the wheels like that. It's also great to see him bouncing back positively following the suspension!

Reactions: PiggySmalls

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
...only difference is Thomas is doing it against junior players and McDavid would do it against Doughty :laugh:

Still, really impressive play by Thomas there. Great to see him flash the wheels like that. It's also great to see him bouncing back positively following the suspension!
He often tries to make that play but ends up being squeezed at the boards. I think the defenseman that time sorely underestimated his velocity

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
You know it. When I get bored, I just search Robert Thomas on Twitter. It is so funny seeing what these "Experts" from Montrehell thinking Thomas will be theirs this summer.
Y'know who needs centers just as bad as Montreal?? You guessed it!! The Blues!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad