Prospect Info: 2017-18 Stockton Heat & Prospect Stats/Discussion (CHL, NCAA, Europe, AHL, ECHL)

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Our goalie situation is a bit murky.

-Will Parsons eventually outshine Gillies in the AHL?
-Does Rittich have starter potential in him?
-Will Smith look near as good next year?

If the answers to all those questions, are a definite "yes" then you take a first for Gillies and run with it. But if Parsons takes a while to develop and Smith starts slowing down to due to age, then it's nice to have Gillies as insurance.

Reactions: snipetype

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah my nightmare would be trading Gillies, watching Parsons and Rittich not turn out. And then proceeding to watch Gillies be a dominant starter in the mould of Pekka Rinne for a decade in another jersey.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't trade Gillies for a pick. I would trade him for young up and coming RW with some size and then worry about throwing darts at our goal tending situation if need be.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
What more do you want from him than the current season he's having?

He's played really well this year from what I understand (I haven't listened to any Stockton games this year yet) but I'd like to see it over a full season before I'm ready to say he'll be even an average NHL starter. His development arc has definitely far exceeded my draft-day expectations but I think most of us agree his first year in Stockton didn't really show the dominance you'd hope to get out of a guy who had the NCAA career that he did. Goalies are a crapshoot. Until they eat a league alive you're not really sure whether they're ready to take the next step.

Right now I wager he ends up a backup or the 1B in a tandem, roughly at the level of Brian Elliott. If he continues to trend up this year he could definitely be something better though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wouldn't trade Gillies for a pick. I would trade him for young up and coming RW with some size and then worry about throwing darts at our goal tending situation if need be.
I agree, you don't dump him for picks, It has to be as apart of a package for a tangible upgrade to help the team win now and not just a rental

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah my nightmare would be trading Gillies, watching Parsons and Rittich not turn out. And then proceeding to watch Gillies be a dominant starter in the mould of Pekka Rinne for a decade in another jersey.

Next year, one of Smith, Rittich or Giles have to go?

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I agree, you don't dump him for picks, It has to be as apart of a package for a tangible upgrade to help the team win now and not just a rental

One thing that might not cost too much would be Thomas Vanek, but I doubt Vancouver wants to do us any favours, so maybe the cost is steeper then I think. Not sure he's in VAN long term plans given his age.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Vanek
Bennet-Janko-Frolik
Mangiapane-Lazar-Hathaway/Brouwer

That looks solid to me if the cost wasn't ridiculous.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jon Gillies Waivers Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Exemption Determination

• Waivers signing age: 20
    • Position: goalie
      • Years Exempt: 4
      • NHL Games Played Exempt: 80
    • Seasons complete determination:
      • First pro-game while signed to an SPC: 2015-16
      • Current season: 2017-18
      • Seasons complete: 2
SEASONSNHL GAMES PLAYED
REQUIRED480
COMPLETED22
2014-15 games played: 0
2015-16 games played: 0
2016-17 games played: 1
2017-18 games played: 1
REMAINING2
Waivers eligible beginning the 2019-20 season
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No, Gillies doesn’t require waivers next year.

Cool, not sure why people want to trade him then.

We need to find out what he can do and doubt if anyone is going to pay much for an inexperience goalie

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Keep Gillies. Rittich has been very solid so far, but it's also a small sample size. If you deal Gillies and Rittich takes a step back, suddenly all you have is Parsons and McDonald.

I suspect the Flames will be taking a goalie in one of the later rounds of the upcoming draft.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Treliving said that he plans to draft a goalie every 2 years so I'm expecting him to draft a goalie this year unless the few amount of picks we have changes his mind

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Treliving said that he plans to draft a goalie every 2 years so I'm expecting him to draft a goalie this year unless the few amount of picks we have changes his mind
Another possibility is an undrafted UFA signing like Schneider

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lol him and McDonald are wastes of contracts imo

And I agree with taking a goalie late. We need forwards early though.

In general, any Flames drafted goalies are waste of contract....We'll find out soon with Gilles....

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gillies got spanked tonight.
Parsons in for relief.
He was shelled with 34 shots against in 42:14 of playing time, 4 of the 5 goals allowed were on the PP, at least one was with a two man advantage. It was a piss poor effort from the team as a whole. They got their shit together a little bit when Parsons came in thankfully. Hopefully Gillies can forget that outing quickly and Parsons can build off of his.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
If anyone wants to take part in an Interactive Mock Draft as the Calgary Flames, private message Ristoreilly on the Mock Draft board.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
The Flames MO in recent years is to take a goalie in the top 4 rounds

With the lack of picks this year and with Gillies/Rittich getting close to losing waiver eligibility, I could see them taking a goalie late in this draft, then another one earlier in the following draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00