Prospect Info: 2017-18 Stockton Heat & Prospect Stats/Discussion (CHL, NCAA, Europe, AHL, ECHL)

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Ruzicka with a terrible giveaway in his own end that leads to Comtois' goal. Taking back what I said about his defense lol

Slovaks immediately put him out on PK1, not sure why.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
End of game summary: Positive Dube will at least be a middle six forward for us. Kid is quick, protects the puck incredibly well, great instincts in every zone. I have never ever been disappointed after watching him.

Ruzicka was bad enough that the colour guy mentioned he should be a bigger factor this game. Got more and more disinterested as Canada's lead grew. Can make small things happen here and you can see him starting to warm up whenever he gets into the offensive zone, but I wouldn't have noticed him if I weren't looking for him.

Overall, the players on Canada you'd expect to impress were the ones that did impress. Canada's entire top line, Dube included, will all be good players. Mete, Makar and Raddysh were stellar, and we should've kept our second to draft Formenton. Comtois was also really good. For Slovakia, Hrenak is worth watching, had a good game despite getting lit up for five against.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I wouldn't be too concerned regarding Ruzicka's disinterest in a blowout. I'd certainly like to see more from him though.

Overall our prospects in this tournament have been pretty pedestrian. Hoping for a turnaround.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Valimaki has a goal and an assist so far. Finland is outshooting Denmark by like 30 shots but the score is only 3-1.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Parsons called up to the Heat. Gillies will obviously get the lion's share of the games at the start but wonder if Parsons ends up staking a claim to make it 50/50 as the season progresses

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Parsons called up to the Heat. Gillies will obviously get the lion's share of the games at the start but wonder if Parsons ends up staking a claim to make it 50/50 as the season progresses

Have a feeling it'll be a lot closer to 50/50 to start.
They'll ease Tyler in, but, they'll give him a bunch of starts.

I really think Rittich is a guy to thank for all of this; his caliber of play got him in the NHL and then is simply keeping him there big time. Best backup we've had in a long friggen time (at least so far).

Reactions: L13

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’d like to steer this conversation here, here’s an interview I heard a while back from Brad Pascall talking about some key players on the Heat

Fast forward to the 3:40 mark, he starts to talk about the defence and Rasmus Andersson. At 5:40, he discusses Kylington, his issues with recklessly moving the puck up the ice, how he’s improved and how he’s become a reliable player for them. He also said he’s pushing for a callup. I don’t think that sounds like an organization just stroking a player, I think the Flames are still high on this kid and he still has NHL upside.

Anyways he discusses some forwards as well later on as well for those interested in giving it a listen.

Flames Assistant GM Brad Pascall with Rob Kerr - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Calculon

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tyler Parsons got his first career AHL start last night, and got hammered.
Didn't expect much from a 20 year old coming off an injury in his first start on a depleted Heat team (that got outshot by a wide margin).

33 Saves on 40 shots.

According to the game report, Parsons played very well for the first couple periods, and the flood gates simply opened in the third and the game slipped away.

Wish You Were Here

Mar 14, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Too bad for Tyler on his rough start.
Regardless, the Top 5 players from the Heat are now on the Flames.
One of them may go back when Frolik returns.
Gillies & Parsons will just have to get used to seeing lots of rubber for the foreseeable future.
With the lack of offence, defence-men Andersson, Wotherspoon, Kylington, et al have their work cut out of them.

Next season, Foo should be better, and Dube, Fisher, Gawdwin, Joly, & Phillips could all graduate to the AHL.
Gillies will be re-signed.
Klimchuk, Poirier, Shinkaruk, & Wotherspoon most likely receive new contract offers.
Carroll, Gadzic, Glass, & H. Smith will probably not be re-signed.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Too bad for Tyler on his rough start.
Regardless, the Top 5 players from the Heat are now on the Flames.
One of them may go back when Frolik returns.
Gillies & Parsons will just have to get used to seeing lots of rubber for the foreseeable future.
With the lack of offence, defence-men Andersson, Wotherspoon, Kylington, et al have their work cut out of them.

Next season, Foo should be better, and Dube, Fisher, Gawdwin, Joly, & Phillips could all graduate to the AHL.
Gillies will be re-signed.
Klimchuk, Poirier, Shinkaruk, & Wotherspoon most likely receive new contract offers.
Carroll, Gadzic, Glass, & H. Smith will probably not be re-signed.
Wait... what?
Stockton is missing some of their top players because of recalls, yes, but it isn't their top 5 players. Jankowski only played 6 games for Stockton, so while he was great in those 6 games, calling him one of their top players 35 games into the season is pretty disingenuous. I assume Rittich is also one of these "top 5 players", but again, just 6 games. Rittich has been very good for Calgary, but he was not the starter in Stockton, so again, calling him one of their top players is being pretty disingenuous.

If we're being generous and considering Hathaway one of their top players (he's only been there half the year), then at worst they have lost their top 3 forwards and even that is debatable as I would argue Klimchuk is one of their 2 or 3 most valuable forwards because he is essentially the Heat's version of Backlund (except as a winger).

I'm not exactly sure why you are bringing up the defense, the only defenseman they are missing is Goloubef (I would consider him a top 5 Heat player before Hathaway for the record) who went to the Spengler Cup and now will be heading to the Olympics. Which is a blow, but adding Prout certainly softens that blow. Their defense is the best it has been in a very long time, the best since I have been watching them anyways and that dates back to them moving to Abbotsford.

Also it is IMO very unlikely Poirier and Shinkaruk will get qualifying offers from the Flames, although Shinkaruk is more likely than Poirier. Poirier just has not been good again this year. He had a good few games where he racked up almost half of his points on the year, otherwise he's been a non-factor. Shinkaruk started fairly slow but has been better since early December, with almost 2/3 of his production being in the last 15 games.

Wotherspoon returning, is very debatable due to his age, I would say the odds are close to 50-50, but I would like to see him return. He is easily having his best season as a pro and has emerged as a legitimate top pairing defenseman for the Heat, he also seems to mesh well with Andersson. Tspoon is going to shatter his personal high for points at his current pace (he's 2 points from matching) and he's playing the most physical he's ever played. He's more engaged in both ends of the rink and I think that if we suffer another injury he deserves a look with the big club, so they can better gauge his progression (this is not a slight to Andersson). But, I think if the Flames do move a defensive prospect such as Andersson, Kylington, Fox or even Valimaki in a deadline type deal, I think it increases the odds of Wotherspoon returning.

I agree on the guys you suggest will not receive new contracts, however Glass or Gadzic returning on an AHL deal would not shock me.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Adam Ruzicka recorded his first career OHL hat-trick in Sarnia's 6-3 win over Flint today. Also picked up an assist and had 9 shots on goal.

The best part? His lone assist was primary and all 4 points were scored during 5v5 play. Spectacular game.

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Adam Ruzicka recorded his first career OHL hat-trick in Sarnia's 6-3 win over Flint today. Also picked up an assist and had 9 shots on goal.

The best part? His lone assist was primary and all 4 points were scored during 5v5 play. Spectacular game.
He's been slumping hard lately glad he had a bounce back game.

Reactions: FerklundCGY

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
He's been slumping hard lately glad he had a bounce back game.

Definitely helps that he is now linemates with Kyrou as of 3 games ago.

That Pezzetta-Ruzicka-Kyrou line is arguably the best line in the OHL on paper.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Gillies is on a mission to take that backup job for next year. It could be bad if Gillies or rittich have to go on waivers

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Gillies is on a mission to take that backup job for next year. It could be bad if Gillies or rittich have to go on waivers

Honestly we should just trade Gillies now for a late first or early second.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yes, lets move our young goalie who has starter potential when our current starting goalie is 35. Not a smart move.

Agreed. Until a young guy takes the starters job, trading one of the 3 guys makes no sense.

Gillies always has had world class size and athleticism. His technical game improves every year.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I don't think Gillies has starter potential. He's not really lighting the AHL on fire.

I also feel that goalies are such a fickle bunch that you shouldn't put too much stock in them as prospects anyway. If we could get a potential top 6 RW with some size, I'd deal Gillies in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Cyrano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad