Injury Report: 2017-18 Season: Varly out Reg season, EJ out 6-8 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Does anyone know the rationale behind the Avs’ policy that injured players are not permitted to speak to the media?

And is that an Avs thing, or is it fairly common around the NHL?

In the past, I couldn’t help but wonder if it was a Pierre Lacroix control freak thing, but I was just wondering...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Does anyone know the rationale behind the Avs’ policy that injured players are not permitted to speak to the media?

In the past, I couldn’t help but wonder if it was a Pierre Lacroix control freak thing, but I was just wondering...

I think a lot of teams keep players away from the media when they're out with injury.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

I think the idea behind it is not just a control thing but to protect the team from a player saying the wrong thing to the media.

Probably a good percentage of guys wouldn't say anything stupid but there's always the odd guy who would be like: "I feel great, I'm ready to go 100%!!" and then the GM is like 'ah crap, I wanted to keep that 4th liner on IR a little while longer while I have a longer look at player X' or whatever.

I've always kind of thought of it like that.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

That's league wide, and I'd even say NA sports wide.

Reactions: Foppberg

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
One of the worst injuries I've ever seen. He pushes a guy and he's on the deck kicking his legs? Come on.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
At this point, EJ is good for one serious injury a year and I doubt that improves as he ages. Hence why he shouldn't be untouchable.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
At this point, EJ is good for one serious injury a year and I doubt that improves as he ages. Hence why he shouldn't be untouchable.

While true, that kinda works for the role of shepherding all of these kids into the NHL in a perverse way. He helps handle the toughest responsibilities so that the kids can learn & grow confident at the NHL level without being overwhelmed...and once he's helped them get things started, he bows out for a while so we can test drive how those kids would do without him...

I don't like the word untouchable either given that I think that contract will be painful towards the end, but I'd really hate to see him moved before the end of the decade without somebody coming in who was capable of helping Zads do the heavy lifting for the other kids. Throw in his apparent leadership, and I think he fits very nicely as the old hand on our blueline who'll slide down into a shutdown/PK role as we get into the 2020s.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Is there an easy way to check how many man games we've lost to injuries and how that compares to rest of the league? I couldn't find anything (except one site that's behind pay wall).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
While true, that kinda works for the role of shepherding all of these kids into the NHL in a perverse way. He helps handle the toughest responsibilities so that the kids can learn & grow confident at the NHL level without being overwhelmed...and once he's helped them get things started, he bows out for a while so we can test drive how those kids would do without him...

I don't like the word untouchable either given that I think that contract will be painful towards the end, but I'd really hate to see him moved before the end of the decade without somebody coming in who was capable of helping Zads do the heavy lifting for the other kids. Throw in his apparent leadership, and I think he fits very nicely as the old hand on our blueline who'll slide down into a shutdown/PK role as we get into the 2020s.

If Orpik can age as well as he did, then so can EJ. Expectations as a #1 or even a #3 toward the end just need to be kept in check.

Up until recently Orpik was a top 4 D on a Presidents Trophy contender (Hes now 37).

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Is there an easy way to check how many man games we've lost to injuries and how that compares to rest of the league? I couldn't find anything (except one site that's behind pay wall).

The only thing I found was from Feb 8, said 212 as of then.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Weren't both on the Avs roster when they were hurt (one in preseason and the other for 1 game)? I would assume that means they are both ready to come off IR. I would also assume both will be sent back to SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad