Injury Report: 2017-18 Season: Varly out Reg season, EJ out 6-8 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
This injury is extremely frustrating because of just how great of a bounce back season this was for Varlamov and you can tell just how great it was from the reactions by the fans. He's been playing some really good hockey and he's stayed healthy (minus an injury in the middle of the season). Fans wouldn't be this distraught and ready to toss him off the nearest cliff if this injury didn't break their/our hearts so much. Without this injury we'd be talking about keeping Varly on via an extension as we worked out how best to replace him long term. Now it's back to the "we need to replace him this summer ASAP" train that the majority were on to start the season.

Just look at the season Varly has ended with:
-2nd best season as a NHL starter behind his should-have-won-the-Vezina year
-Only 6 (7 if you think Loungo meets the GP requirement) other NHL starters were more consistent than Varly as Varly himself finished with a 0.596 QS%
-Finishes with an all situation GSAA of 11.54 for 12th in the NHL
-Finishes currently with a 5v5 GSAA of 9.54 for 5th in the NHL (+1500 min)
-Finishes with a 5v5 SV% of 0.933 for 5th in the NHL (+1500 min)
-His 5v5 SV% is also 0.79 higher than his expected 5v5 SV% which is much better than Bernier having a 5v5 SV% 0.05 below his expected 5v5 SV%

I know we're all on edge about Varly's injury history but you really can't blame him for this one. I believe it's fair game to talk about just how serious this injury is and I'm always up for talking about who will fill Varly's spot in the coming seasons. I'm just not ready to be completely rid of him yet.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't want to get rid of Varly, but we also need to be prepping for a future without him. Unlike a lot of goalies who continue to play well into their mid-late 30s I don't think Varly will be that with his history of injuries.

If he makes it to UFA I'm fully aboard the Raanta train. Him and Varly for next season would be great.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Update....

Goaltender Semyon Varlamov is out indefinitely with an injury to his left knee, Colorado Avalanche head coach Jared Bednar said on Sunday.

Varlamov will miss the remainder of the regular season and will be reevaluated next week. Bednar said Sunday that he doesn't think the goalie will need surgery.

Varlamov Out Indefinitely With Knee Injury

I guess we'll take it as good news if he doesn't require surgery. You never know with the Avs and their initial injury reports though.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Great to hear it's not groin related. I mean, take it with a grain of salt because Avs, but it's plausible based on the play and would mean he hasn't had a setback to his more major recovery.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Great to hear it's not groin related. I mean, take it with a grain of salt because Avs, but it's plausible based on the play and would mean he hasn't had a setback to his more major recovery.

He might have tweaked his groin too, we don't know. Bednar said he was dealing with a couple things. Hopefully it's just a minor mcl issue, and a deep thigh bruise or something. That might be best case scenario.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I don't want to get rid of Varly, but we also need to be prepping for a future without him. Unlike a lot of goalies who continue to play well into their mid-late 30s I don't think Varly will be that with his history of injuries.

If he makes it to UFA I'm fully aboard the Raanta train. Him and Varly for next season would be great.

You do realize Raanta is just as injury-proned as Varly, right? He's a damn good goalie, but we might as well just re-sign the Hamburglar as well, cause we'd need a 3rd-stringer to play a lot of games with that tandem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad