2017-18 San Antonio Rampage (AHL) and Colorado Eagles (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Man, between this and the Tremblay thing you ain't exactly batting .1000 this week :laugh:

SURELY you heard the Eagles will be the Avs' AHL affiliate starting next year...right?

I knew the Eagles part, guess I missed sharing with the Blues though.

And sorry I didn't know the name of the Canadiens coach from 22 years ago. Yeeesh.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I knew the Eagles part, guess I missed sharing with the Blues though.

And sorry I didn't know the name of the Canadiens coach from 22 years ago. Yeeesh.

:laugh: All good, still laughing at you though.

The unfortunate thing is that Tremblay SHOULD be a forgotten name at this point but he keeps resurfacing like that dead fish at the lake you keep having to throw away.

And yes, Blues got kicked off their previous affiliate (Chicago) because the Boogie Knights took them over. So they're splitting prospects between the Wolves and Rampage until they get the Rampage for themselves in 2018.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Rampage are 6-1, best in their division, and it probably kills tigre to see them this good in the early portion of the season.

Granted Avs do not have many top prospects on this year's club, the rebound goaltending of Martin is a good sign. I told you lads that you guys gave up on him too quickly in the prospect rankings.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Martin went to the AHL allstar game before having his confidence wrecked at the NHL level, for a reason. The kid has talent when he's feeling himself. With Husso there (most of the time) a to keep him fresh & feisty, they can PDO their way for a while...I hope...

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
So I feel the question arises, what's the point of the Hammond acquisition given the current situation?

Keeping him as a trade bait for someone else or loaning him elsewhere?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Trade bait could be a possibility.

It's most likely just some Goaltender insurance that allows Martin to spend the entire year in San Antonio and not have to be called up if we lose a goalie to injury.

Though I do wonder what this means for the plans down in the AHL. Talk about a shitty year for the Avs to have to share an AHL team. We have too many prospects that need playing time right now and wont be able to get it because of the shared team.

Beaudin is already in the ECHL where he probably shouldn't be. I could see a couple more guys joing him now.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Hammond, as I said earlier, was probably just for Ottawa's cap. They are adding Duchene's 6 million, and Turris was only making 3.5.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hell if I know what the plan is for Hammond. Maybe they flip him right away to one of the desperate teams. Wait for Florida to figure out that Niemi is a disaster and come offer them Hammond to ease their pain. Might get a 4th or something for our troubles.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think taking Hammond was to help with OTT's actual $ payout (remember, Melnyk cares about actual $ paid) as well as having a bit of G depth to keep from Martin or Cannata playing in the NHL this year. I'd suspect that Hammond is loaned to an AHL team who needs a goalie, and the Avs recall him if he's needed, and he goes to UFA this offseason.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
Good to see folks thinking Hammond gets assigned somewhere else or flipped. Husso's the future for the Blues in net and I'd hate to see him get shelved.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I think taking Hammond was to help with OTT's actual $ payout (remember, Melnyk cares about actual $ paid) as well as having a bit of G depth to keep from Martin or Cannata playing in the NHL this year. I'd suspect that Hammond is loaned to an AHL team who needs a goalie, and the Avs recall him if he's needed, and he goes to UFA this offseason.

Yeah it's not about the actual cap hit, of which only roughly 1/4 of it was actually counting towards the cap, it's about the real life $$$ being saved. 1.3M for a guy in the AHL was too much.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
He’s staying on loan at Belleville anyhow. Doubt he ever plays a game for us. See if we can dump him for anything by the deadline, otherwise just eat the final year and let him go.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'm starting to be more open the idea that Andrew Hammond will be here next season. We all expect Hammond to be let go after the season but I don't think that's set in stone or even at a very high chance of happening. When the Avs traded for Joe Cannata at the trade deadline I didn't think for a second the Avs would resign him. Now though here he is filling his role. If the Avs aren't interested in bringing over Werner/Kvaca next season to play in the AHL they'll look at the internal options and one of those will be Hammond just like they looked at who they wanted to be the no. 4 guy this year.

If Hammond is willing to take a pay cut so when the Avs send him to the AHL to start the 2018/19 season he won't count against the cap then I could see the Avs be very interested in him as the no. 3/4 guy on the depth chart depending on how Martin does or if the Avs even bring Martin back. Hammond would be a good depth guy as he's off to a solid start in the AHL (0.750 Q%/2.904 GSAA) and he can be a NHL level back-up/replacement goalie. I'm not saying I want him back however we're currently looking at a situation where we'll need to sign at least one goalie for the AHL next off-season and he's an option now.

Reactions: S E P H

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm in favor of keeping Hammond around. Hopefully Bernier can get hot and flipped at the deadline. Bring up Hammond to replace him as a backup for the rest of the season. Then have an open competition between Hammond, Martin, and a UFA backup (say somebody like Hutton). A player like Hutton would likely win out, but it gives solid depth and competition throughout the organization.

Reactions: StayAtHomeAv

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I'm in favor of keeping Hammond around. Hopefully Bernier can get hot and flipped at the deadline. Bring up Hammond to replace him as a backup for the rest of the season. Then have an open competition between Hammond, Martin, and a UFA backup (say somebody like Hutton). A player like Hutton would likely win out, but it gives solid depth and competition throughout the organization.

That's what I thought when I first saw his name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad