2017-18 San Antonio Rampage (AHL) and Colorado Eagles (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Didn't hear the interview, but did Geertsen maybe come up in the context of Meloche since he was going to start partner Nic after the Bigras trade? Other than that and his contract status, I can't imagine why Joe would be talking about a guy who has a lot of work to do to even match Dunk's AHL tenure.

You know what though? I like that his name even comes up. I'd love for this franchise to adopt a more internal style of building their AHL team. That they even give two shits about one of our home grown depth AHL defenders is a positive sign for me.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You know what though? I like that his name even comes up. I'd love for this franchise to adopt a more internal style of building their AHL team. That they even give two ****s about one of our home grown depth AHL defenders is a positive sign for me.

That's a mighty optimistic take, though I can't disagree with it...if true...

...but I'll believe that this organization has gotten past it's prospect-ADD and started to value building up it's own AHL team when we see it happen for an extended period of time...especially when this organization just moved Bigras whose NHL potential they gave up on way too quickly and who was forming a very effective AHL top pairing with Meloche at the time of the trade. Yes Woody needed a change of scenery given that the organization had given up on him, but that could've happened at the draft or in the offseason; after he & Meloche had gotten to ride out the season together as the Rampage's go-to duo.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Didn't hear the interview, but did Geertsen maybe come up in the context of Meloche since he was going to start partner Nic after the Bigras trade? Other than that and his contract status, I can't imagine why Joe would be talking about a guy who has a lot of work to do to even match Dunk's AHL tenure.

No not really. I just listened again to make sure. Haynes asked Joe about the Rampage and how the players there were developing.

He talked about how they're in a playoff race, and that they're excited to have the AHL club within 50 miles next year. Then said all the kids are playing well and said, "Spencer's had a pretty good year in the net, Mason Geertsens's coming on, all the guy's are playing well, and obviously AJ's been up and down, and even him himself, he's coming pretty quick."

Thought it was interesting he immediately went to Geertsen before someone like Greer. TV might be right though, he might have just been searching for names to throw out there.

Reactions: cgf

Jessica

17 year Rampage sth
Jul 1, 2005
San Antonio, TX
Military Jersey Auction

Joe Canata 1000
Ville Husso 2600
Mason Geertsen 2600
David Warsofsky 3050
Brendan Ranford 1000
Felix Girard 1000
Klim Kostin 2200
Shawn Ouellet-St. Amant 1200
Chris Butler 1900
Andrew Agozzino 1100
Ryan Graves 1000
Reid Petryk 1400
Nicolas Meloche 1000
Brady Shaw 900
Jean-Christophe Beaudin 1000
Alex Belzile 1100
Jesse Graham 1150
Connor Bleackley 1100
T-Bone 1200

Sled Hockey:
1. 1300
2. 1100
3. 1000
4. 3700
5. 1000
6. 1200
7. 1100
8. 1000
9. Jen Lee 1000
10. Rico Roman 1200

I couldn’t hear the sled hockey player names except the last two, so this is how I did it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I watch the game last night where Rampage lost 3-0 and here were my Friedmanian thoughts...

- Rampage had multiple chances to score, they were the better team for the first two periods, but just couldn't capitalize. Dansk stoned them, which allowed Wolves to come back into the game.

- Rampage are filled with just a bunch of grinders throughout the line up. It was a pain to see at times. Really lacks top end talent.

- Blues organization will not fair any better for the Rampage next season, some really bad talent on their side of the spectrum except for Husso.

- Saw a ton of Avalanche Rantanen jerseys.

- Geertsen was meh throughout the game, played the 5v3 quite terribly which screwed up Butler who's below-average player as well. I always want players to get one shot in the NHL, but hard to see him being anything more than just depth AHLer.

- Girard did not look like the same player compared to last season. Might still be useful when we transfer to Loveland, but he's nothing special. Actually hurt the team last night with a stupid penalty.

- Kostin was so disappointing, he's insanely young, but doesn't touch Rantanen when both were down there.

- Greer, to me, looked like he sustained an ankle injury in the first and didn't really notice him after that. Not sure if he came back...

- Graves made a brutal play leading to the Wolves second goal. Man it was bad. He's our new Nick Holden, one of those players who's quite hockey dumb, but has enough to get by and probably enough to standout for the scouts. Really good skater for his size though. I just realised that Avs scouted the Rags like ten times in January, not surprising we got a NYR player at the TDL.

- Petryk was solid, he's a player I want to carry over to the Loveland, solid 3rd liner.

- Meloche actually stood out in a really good way. He made great timely pitches, jumped into the play offencive, and played a sound defencive game. Great signs for me considering I am not his biggest fan. One area he needs to work on is strength with the puck, he doesn't have bad puck skills, but he's still super weak when controlling it and he has a complete muffin of shot. Fixable so not too worried.

- Didn't notice Beaudin since he was being played 4th line grinder minutes. Next season will be more telling since he will be guaranteed a spot in the AHL.

- Belzile was EASILY the best player on the ice after the goaltenders. His determination is top notch, has a good motor, decent skater, and has a good enough level of IQ to get around the ice. Absolutely a must keep for me for next season.

- Cannon fodder: Warsofsky (give me Noreau), Ranford, Vogelhuber, Agozzino, Shaw, and Graham. Bleackley looked terribad as well.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Comparing kostin this year and rantanens first AHL seasons arent really fair.

Rantanen was one of the oldest of his draft year while kostin was one of the youngest in his year. Next season they may be closer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When the Eagles move to the AHL and Belzille returns to loveland next season, will ECHL-jesus turn into AHL-jesus?

Comparing kostin this year and rantanens first AHL seasons arent really fair.

Rantanen was one of the oldest of his draft year while kostin was one of the youngest in his year. Next season they may be closer.

Eh, Rantanen was PPG after the WJC while playing pro in finland the year before coming over to the AHL. And those two leagues are comparable :dunno:

Reactions: Avsrule2022

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
When the Eagles move to the AHL and Belzille returns to loveland next season, will ECHL-jesus turn into AHL-jesus?

Eh, Rantanen was PPG after the WJC while playing pro in finland the year before coming over to the AHL. And those two leagues are comparable :dunno:
He's already AHL Jesus, he was flirting with leading the team in scoring when Agz went on a three month drought.

Reactions: cgf and Avsrule2022

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He's already AHL Jesus, he was flirting with leading the team in scoring when Agz went on a three month drought.

True. He's not quite goal per game, but he has still been doing a lot better in the AHL than I expected. Him & Petryk should really be fan favorites in Loveland next season.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I wonder why the organization feels the need to call up Warsofsky in a non-injury situation if SA is left playing with 5D. Seems a little strange.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall

WillingThirstyChuckwalla-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Nice, how many games max is a conditioning stint again? Five? Either way, it means he's cleared to play and they want him in the NHL, and we get to really get a look at him now. Win-win-win.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Nice, how many games max is a conditioning stint again? Five? Either way, it means he's cleared to play and they want him in the NHL, and we get to really get a look at him now. Win-win-win.

No way he’s worse than Gork, Toninato or Yak so it should be an immediate improvement to our line up at the very least on our forth line. If I remember correctly he’s supposed to be good on face offs as well, so that could make a huge difference with how much we’ve struggled this season. It’s really unfortunate he missed as much time as he did on such a fluke accident.

Reactions: McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad