2017-18 San Antonio Rampage (AHL) and Colorado Eagles (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think the area most impacted by this change is goaltending, both Husso and Martin need starts to develop and best case scenario is they split starts with solid numbers and help each other develop. I wonder how the development staff will work, if JIF will work with just Martin, both of them or if a Blues guy will do something down there too.

Avs don't have a ton of high profile Forwards/Defenders to get hurt by this, especially since there's such a limited number of them coming from the Blues.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think the area most impacted by this change is goaltending, both Husso and Martin need starts to develop and best case scenario is they split starts with solid numbers and help each other develop. I wonder how the development staff will work, if JIF will work with just Martin, both of them or if a Blues guy will do something down there too.

Avs don't have a ton of high profile Forwards/Defenders to get hurt by this, especially since there's such a limited number of them coming from the Blues.

The Husso/Martin tandem is something I'm really not looking forward too... Husso is a better prospect than Martin and I could see a coach who is fighting for his job riding the better goalie.

I don't think the top prospects are the ones hurt by this joint affiliation. It is the prospects trying to break in and solidify themselves and the ones who need the development. The Beaudin, Nantel, Geertsens of the world are potentially hurt by this.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Interesting, thanks.

I think Cannata will be the designated float for all 3 levels and he may never play. I think he fully knew he took the money to be a bench warmer and that's why they picked him.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Cannata, Brittain and Hafner all at the skills competition at the Eagles season ticket party. Looks like Hafner not in SA after all.

I have to say, it's pretty cool that a player (like Cannata today) can be sent down and almost immediately be at the affiliate arena.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Cannata, Brittain and Hafner all at the skills competition at the Eagles season ticket party. Looks like Hafner not in SA after all.

I have to say, it's pretty cool that a player (like Cannata today) can be sent down and almost immediately be at the affiliate arena.

I don't know if I'm just deluding myself with optimism, but I have a secret hope that the AHL team being that close gets the avs to be a little more open to sending guys up & down. If that can coincide with there being more talent capable of filling NHL gigs, then maybe this organization will accidentally develop some habits that are more conducive to developing our own talent.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

member 116861

Hopefully with the move, we see a player play two games in one day.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Would somebody we have playing games in the AHL be allowed to practice with the NHL team?
I think it would require a paper transaction... AHL --> NHL for a day or two between games to allow them to practice and then send them back to the AHL for the games. When both teams are at home with days off it wouldn't be too hard but I would imagine it would require exposing wire-eligible players each time they are sent back down. They'd probably need to carry a 22 man roster as well to allow it to happen, although I'm not positive.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think it would require a paper transaction... AHL --> NHL for a day or two between games to allow them to practice and then send them back to the AHL for the games. When both teams are at home with days off it wouldn't be too hard but I would imagine it would require exposing wire-eligible players each time they are sent back down. They'd probably need to carry a 22 man roster as well to allow it to happen, although I'm not positive.

For someone like Makar next season or Mikko last season that could be an interesting option for when we'd want a kid playing in the AHL to start practicing with the NHL team before making the jump.

I don't know the waiver rules very well, but doesn't a player who's passed through waivers once already have to stay up for 30 days before having to pass through waivers again? I don't think I have that right, but I'm curious how big of an issue the waivers hold up would be with the kind of prospects you'd actually want to do this kind of thing with.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
For players that are waiver-eligible, that wouldn't work, but there will be tons of players who can be moved up and down next year without that being a factor. Timmins, for example.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For players that are waiver-eligible, that wouldn't work, but there will be tons of players who can be moved up and down next year without that being a factor. Timmins, for example.

I don't think that's really something we want to be doing with anyone but the really elite prospects, or the guys like Bigras & Greer who need to break through soon and we need them to be already integrated in case injuries give them another chance.

Meloche this season & Timmins next season will have their hands full getting settled in & crushing the AHL before this even starts to be a consideration.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
That's too bad Atkison is going to ATL.

Eagles are pretty loaded with offensive d-men. Not enough pucks to go around.

I assume there is no news as to whether or not the Avs will have a new ECHL affiliate next season.

I counted 26 teams in the ECHL FYI.

I believe Rapid City's agreement with Arizona is up after this year. That would be the ideal situation. Also, no one knows what will happen with Martin Lind's ECHL team. He could sell it, hold on to it, or relocate it somewhere (Denver Coliseum? haha).

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Eagles are pretty loaded with offensive d-men. Not enough pucks to go around.

I believe Rapid City's agreement with Arizona is up after this year. That would be the ideal situation. Also, no one knows what will happen with Martin Lind's ECHL team. He could sell it, hold on to it, or relocate it somewhere (Denver Coliseum? haha).

There would have been plenty of space for him. They could put him in the top 4 and, I would image, have the best top4 in the league. Or use him on the third pair and had 3 really good pairs.

4 all-star caliber players are better than 3.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
There would have been plenty of space for him. They could put him in the top 4 and, I would image, have the best top4 in the league. Or use him on the third pair and had 3 really good pairs.

4 all-star caliber players are better than 3.

He's had 1 good ECHL season. He would have to beat out Marto, who will probably wear the C this year, Register who was the playoff MVP and Bowman, a popular player returning for his 2nd stint with the Eagles. Not saying that he's not better than those guys, but with 16 skaters a game, I just don't see where he fits in. The Eagles may already have the best top 4 in the league.

Plus, Atkinson can be called up to SA when needed, keeping the Eagles roster intact.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Blues officially assigned Kostin to the Rampage. I think he's still injured for another week though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad