Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
He also said that Lindholm and Ritchie aren't ready yet.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Getz and Silf have been successful together before.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Getz and Silf have been successful together before.

They played about 5 or so games together last season when Perry was really struggling and Carlyle was trying to get 2 likes going. I don’t remember it being overly successful either.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

These lines are stupid as f***. Why does he put Cogs with our best 2 players and Kase with 2 randoms?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
These lines are stupid as ****. Why does he put Cogs with our best 2 players and Kase with 2 randoms?
Because having 3 lines capable of scoring is better then having 2 lines that can score and 2 defense first lines? Blandisi is hardly a random, guy has pretty solid AHL numbers (better then some of our young players who have looked good at the NHL level) he's hardly some 'random', more a guy who hasn't quite put it all together at the NHL level yet. Hell, even Vermette is on pace for 15 goals and 30ish points - not an offensive superstar but not quite an offensive blackhole this season.

And it's not like lines can't change during a game if they aren't working.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Pretty sure our best player is centering the first line, not playing with Cogs.

Vermette and Kase have played together a lot the last few years, and have had a decent amount of success.

Reactions: Paul4587

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Not a fan of it. Hopefully they can get some chemistry going though.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I think Rakell works best with Getz. If it were up to me in dreamland:

Rak-Getz-Kase
Roy-Henrique-Ritchie
Cogliano-Verm-Blandisi
Wagner-Grant-Shaw

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
How in the hell do they come up with those lines.

Cogliano with Rakell? wtf?
I actually like Kase / Rakell / Getzlaf split up because they can each create on their own, but don't like their compliments at all.
I guess a checking line doesn't make sense on the road. So he's trying to put a defensively responsible forward with 2 offensive players on the top 3.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Not sure why people hate those supposed lines. The 3 top lines all have someone who can create offense, while still having someone defensively responsible. The 4th line is a gritty, hard working line that could chip in points. Better to spread the wealth around.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Not sure why people hate those supposed lines. The 3 top lines all have someone who can create offense, while still having someone defensively responsible. The 4th line is a gritty, hard working line that could chip in points. Better to spread the wealth around.

I think most would agree that the 4th line is fine. The top 9 looks like he just hit "shuffle" on an Ipod. Getzlaf and Silfverberg have never been good together. The 2nd line isn't awful on paper, but those 3 together hurts the 1st and 3rd line too much IMO. Getz needs one of Kase or Rakell on his line. No idea wtf RC is thinking with that 1st line...

Roy-Getzlaf-Rakell
Wagner-Henrique-Kase
Cogliano-Vermette-Silfverberg
Blandisi-Grant-Shaw

this is what I would do for this roster. Maybe rotate Wagner and Blandisi on occasion.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I think most would agree that the 4th line is fine. The top 9 looks like he just hit "shuffle" on an Ipod. Getzlaf and Silfverberg have never been good together. The 2nd line isn't awful on paper, but those 3 together hurts the 1st and 3rd line too much IMO. Getz needs one of Kase or Rakell on his line. No idea wtf RC is thinking with that 1st line...

Roy-Getzlaf-Rakell
Wagner-Henrique-Kase
Cogliano-Vermette-Silfverberg
Blandisi-Grant-Shaw

this is what I would do for this roster. Maybe rotate Wagner and Blandisi on occasion.

I'm not debating this point because I've seen this in action, but doesn't it seem odd that they wouldn't be good together? Getzlaf is one of the best passers in the game and Silf is probably the best shooter on the team when he's on. It's weird to me that they don't have the chemistry on the ice or can't find the right linemate to make that work.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I'm not debating this point because I've seen this in action, but doesn't it seem odd that they wouldn't be good together? Getzlaf is one of the best passers in the game and Silf is probably the best shooter on the team when he's on. It's weird to me that they don't have the chemistry on the ice or can't find the right linemate to make that work.

I have a theory.

The problem is that Silf needs time and zero pressure for his shot. Getzlaf's size and reputation as a passer precedes him, and people will rarely take the man - they know to cover his other wingers instead. So the pressure goes on to Silf, who coughs the pucks up or floats a muffin into the goalie.

Kesler, on the other hand, is a center who gathers a lot of respect as a goalscorer, and thrives off of getting up close and personal. So that generates the chaos and most importantly the space for Silfverberg to operate.

It's not enough to have a wicked passer...we need Getzlaf to start actually shooting the puck again. Then people start to respect his shot...which would result in Silfverberg having that time and space.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

I think Silfverberg's shot gets a bit overrated here. I think Rakell's shot is definitely better, or at least more dangerous in general. Silfverberg has the best wrist shot on the team, but he takes forever to pull it off. Getzlaf needs to be paired with someone who can cycle and has a good one timer. This is why splitting he and Rakell up is asinine to me.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I have a theory.

The problem is that Silf needs time and zero pressure for his shot. Getzlaf's size and reputation as a passer precedes him, and people will rarely take the man - they know to cover his other wingers instead. So the pressure goes on to Silf, who coughs the pucks up or floats a muffin into the goalie.

Kesler, on the other hand, is a center who gathers a lot of respect as a goalscorer, and thrives off of getting up close and personal. So that generates the chaos and most importantly the space for Silfverberg to operate.

It's not enough to have a wicked passer...we need Getzlaf to start actually shooting the puck again. Then people start to respect his shot...which would result in Silfverberg having that time and space.

I agree with this. I'll add that even if Getzlaf was shooting more, I don't think it'd help in this scenario though.

I think Silfverberg meshes with Kesler well because of what you just said primarily, but also because that line is used in a defensive role where Silfverberg is at his best. It allows him to shine more. That line also keeps things very simple, which I think is also to his benefit.

Reactions: Arthuros

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Raks Getz Perry
Cogs Kes Silf
Roy Henrique Kase
Ritchie/Grant Vermette Wagner

I like this because it gives the elite top line, and solid top 6. Also gives the 3rd line some great skill- although they may give up something on D. Only complaint, we won’t be very physical so we’d need a heavy 4th line

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
Raks Getz Perry
Cogs Kes Silf
Roy Henrique Kase
Ritchie/Grant Vermette Wagner

I like this because it gives the elite top line, and solid top 6. Also gives the 3rd line some great skill- although they may give up something on D. Only complaint, we won’t be very physical so we’d need a heavy 4th line

I think that 4th line will be perfect. But they have to play 11-13 minutes. Not just so they can get in the flow of the game but to make sure the horses aren't burned out again by the time the playoffs role around. I do think if RC can make that adjustment and they can get Hamphus, Perry and Kesler back while holding on to at least the last playoff spot. Miller and Gibson is a great playoff tandem. This team has a legit shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad