Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
I’m actually really excited for this offseason.

I know, I’m probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I can’t help it!

Anyone else feel this way?

First offseason under the new management team. I'm excited to see how they start to build this team.

Will be interesting to see what moves are made and how they play into the overall vision they have for this group going forward.

Nailing the 7th overall pick is going to be important. If they can grab another impact player that contributes on their elc, that will be huge.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I’m actually really excited for this offseason.

I know, I’m probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I can’t help it!

Anyone else feel this way?

I'm looking forward to training camp more than the offseason. I'm excited to see how the new coaching staff prepares the team this year, whoever they might be.

I think offseason player movement for us will be less flashy than the last couple of years (I'm including the Cychrun acquisition as "offseason"). I think we're going to get a decent RD and move on from Chychrun and grab a defensive-minded bottom 6 vet and leave the core intact.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, McLellan isn't a guy I am targeting, but he is an interesting option.

Known as a players coach, he's both coached a high shot volume fast paced attacking team in SJ, and he's coached a more methodical defensive 1-3-1 system with the LAK. Not sure what route he'd go for here, but that kind of flexibility is a good thing.

He's worked with Woodcroft (and McLean) in Det under Babcock, bringing Woodcroft with him to SJ, and Edmonton,

Reactions: Cosmix

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
You'll probably see some movement on Berube once the Leafs win game 7 and he realizes he's not getting that gig.
This was my thought exactly. Between Berube seemingly wanting the Toronto job, and the fact we have Boston's first... are we rooting for the Leafs tmrw? :huh:

Oct 10, 2010
This was my thought exactly. Between Berube seemingly wanting the Toronto job, and the fact we have Boston's first... are we rooting for the Leafs tmrw? :huh:
Boston for me I could never cheer for the Leafs or Habs under any circumstances personally lol - the meltdowns would be hilarious - If Toronto does win at least FLA will murk em. Win - Win I suppose!

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Sullivan is looking like a more likely option with everything going on in Pittsburgh but I'd lose my mind if they "traded" for him and gave up compensation. Still up in the air if the NHL would allow it but the connection between Jacques and Sully is obvious and he fits the profile of someone with NHL/Cup experience.

And not that I have any expectations that Rod Brindamour will end up in Ottawa, but there might be something to the idea that all these teams and coaches are waiting for that domino to drop before making their moves. If Berube thinks he can basically pick his destination once Rod re-ups he might be the hold up to all of this.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'm looking forward to training camp more than the offseason. I'm excited to see how the new coaching staff prepares the team this year, whoever they might be.

I think offseason player movement for us will be less flashy than the last couple of years (I'm including the Cychrun acquisition as "offseason"). I think we're going to get a decent RD and move on from Chychrun and grab a defensive-minded bottom 6 vet and leave the core intact.
I agree that training camp will be key, along with all of the messaging leading up to it from the new coaching staff.

We’ll want to see that the guys are all in town early to get ready of course.

I agree that flash is not to be expected, but we really do need to balance the D, bring in a vet forward, and shore up goaltending. So some savvy moves that we can nod our heads in agreement with would be nice.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
First offseason under the new management team. I'm excited to see how they start to build this team.

Will be interesting to see what moves are made and how they play into the overall vision they have for this group going forward.

Nailing the 7th overall pick is going to be important. If they can grab another impact player that contributes on their elc, that will be huge.

Interesting off-season indeed! It is strange because on the one hand I am willing to cut them a ton of slack to fix a mess they inherited. I anticipate that taking a couple years. I subscribe to the mantra put forth by a fellow poster of "baby steps" (thanks SoA!), which translates for me to to constant and continuous improvement. As long as I see the team being thoughtful and progressing, and I can rationalize what they appear to be doing, I will be content. On the other hand, I am also recognize they benefit from of a clean slate, no ugly track record. They could blow it very quickly, see fan confidence and patience evaporate quickly with dumb moves. The old expression "trust is earned" comes to mind there. I take comfort in the premist that unlike with the previous regime, Staios and Andlauer want to build something of lasting value, not just roll the dice on splashy moves just to survive.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am.

Please let it be Julien. I’ve been begging for it to be him for months now .

He’s perfect for this group and has a winning pedigree
In your opinion, what makes Julien perfect for the Senators?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree that training camp will be key, along with all of the messaging leading up to it from the new coaching staff.

We’ll want to see that the guys are all in town early to get ready of course.

I agree that flash is not to be expected, but we really do need to balance the D, bring in a vet forward, and shore up goaltending. So some savvy moves that we can nod our heads in agreement with would be nice.
Hopefully we will not see any more trades like Dorion made, particularly the Zibanejad, Stone and Hoffman trades.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Keefe is an impressive coach and probably my top choice after Coop and Brindamour.

Hopefully he comes to Ottawa, perfect situation for him to prove what type of coach he is

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I’m expecting Keefe to get fired and Berube hired to replace him. Hopefully it gets the coaching market moving a bit
Think you're spot on
Keefe is an impressive coach and probably my top choice after Coop and Brindamour.

Hopefully he comes to Ottawa, perfect situation for him to prove what type of coach he is
If he's fired I bet he's back with Dubas in some capacity.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

I guess everyone has a different “Starting point”, as to when the new regime began, or begins the “building” of this team.

For me is was when the Rookie POHO took over the GM duties.

So far, all that has happened, is In the final hour before the trade deadline, the rookie GM made a waiver claim, plucking Boris Katchouk off waivers from the Chicago Blackhawks, and letting Tarasenko go to the Panthers.

IF we think the 7th overall pick is the key to success for this team, they’re in worse shape than we’ve realized.
last years 7th overall played in the KHL, the draft before that, the 7th overall played 76 games in the NHL, and had 15 points
The 7th pick overall 3 years ago has played 88 games in the NHL, with 52 points, and is a career minus 50.

The point is more is needed form this rookie gm than nailing the 7th overall pick, as he is not likley going to be a contributing component of the NHL team, for at least two years, probably three.

otown

Sep 4, 2009

Good coaches and post season performance usually go hand in hand. Keefe has yet to prove this!
Dubas and Spezza may scoop him up.

Reactions: Satoru Gojo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad