Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Rakell's contract is so bad I almost feel like we should give him more money. Well I actually feel like Perry should give him some money.
He should find a new agent for when he's looking for his next contract. He held out into the regular season to sign that deal, and managed to still get bent over. If he was going to sign something like that, why not just do it in July?

Reactions: Getz2perry

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Well, Rakell gets to play with Getzlaf and PP minutes that Perry used to get. Palmeri would have gotten 30+ goals with this opportunity too but we dumped him since he was one dimensional. Kane would get almost 40 with Getzlaf. I think Rakell needs to show more intangibles before the ducks give him a similar sized contract. Luckily we have 2 more years to evaluate!

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Well, Rakell gets to play with Getzlaf and PP minutes that Perry used to get. Palmeri would have gotten 30+ goals with this opportunity too but we dumped him since he was one dimensional. Kane would get almost 40 with Getzlaf. I think Rakell needs to show more intangibles before the ducks give him a similar sized contract. Luckily we have 2 more years to evaluate!
4 more years till Rakell is UFA.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
4 more years till Rakell is UFA.
Lol thats crazy to think. Sucks we will be wasting great years of rakell, gibson and our young d because of horrible contracts for perry and kesler. I really hope steel can fill in as a legit 2c very soon.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Come on that`s a RFA & UFA thing. Rakell as an UFA would have got a way bigger deal
I'm talking about production and he's even gonna get better.... We got a steal

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm talking about production and he's even gonna get better.... We got a steal
McDavid on ELC also was a steal. You will always get better ROI on RFA`s.

My point is: it doesn`t make sense to compare Rakells contract and Kanes

Last years or so the RFAs are getting more and more money though.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
In the latest episode (around the 36 minute mark) of "31 Thoughts: The Podcast", Marek and Friedman are both complimentary of Wilford's promotion to assistant coach. They then go on to speculate this could mean Eakins is the heir apparent as head coach and that he's deserving of another opportunity (also commenting that Eakins wasn't the major issue in Edmonton).

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The numbers suggest he is close to his offensive peak, if not already past it. Doesn't mean he'll start declining but saying he'll get even better is a stretch
He already looked better playing for Sweden, the one timer is getting better and better

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
In the latest episode (around the 36 minute mark) of "31 Thoughts: The Podcast", Marek and Friedman are both complimentary of Wilford's promotion to assistant coach. They then go on to speculate this could mean Eakins is the heir apparent as head coach and that he's deserving of another opportunity (also commenting that Eakins wasn't the major issue in Edmonton).
Eakins getting the three year deal makes me think that they're right. Carlyle is on the shortest of leashes.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The numbers suggest he is close to his offensive peak, if not already past it. Doesn't mean he'll start declining but saying he'll get even better is a stretch
Out of curiosity how do you figure that?

I think he can still be more of a player maker... and if you put a more possession oriented sniper that helps out in all 3 zones I think Getz/Rakell will have the puck on their sticks more and be able to get more chances.... def think there is more room for rakell to improve as a player... maybe not goal scoring but def playmaking... tho I think he could potentially put up a 40/40 season or 2.

Reactions: Trojans86

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Out of curiosity how do you figure that?

I think he can still be more of a player maker... and if you put a more possession oriented sniper that helps out in all 3 zones I think Getz/Rakell will have the puck on their sticks more and be able to get more chances.... def think there is more room for rakell to improve as a player... maybe not goal scoring but def playmaking... tho I think he could potentially put up a 40/40 season or 2.

Studies have been done to show that statistically forwards tend to hit their offensive peaks around 24-25. That’s not to say they are at their best then but their offensive numbers tend to be at their highest in those years. If you hunt through the HOH board you can probably find the studies done.

Obviously there are exceptions to those rules and good players tend to extend their primes and very slowly decline but for every player who peaks statistically in their late 20s there are 5 other guys who never bested their totals pre 25.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Eakins getting the three year deal makes me think that they're right. Carlyle is on the shortest of leashes.

I've gone back and forth on this one a lot. I think there's been a few things to suggest it's their plan and things to suggest it isn't. Friedman bringing it up and wanting to speculate about it on his podcast certainly nudges me that way, but ultimately, if there wasn't any kind of succession plan, both of these moves still make sense and probably still happen, so I don't think it's indicative of much

However, when you put it like that, it really makes a lot of sense. IMO easily the best way to see if Eakins is the NHL coach people thought he was 5 years ago is to bring him in on an interim basis. No real risk that way. And it makes sense for Murray to put the screws to Carlyle a bit, he'd obviously most rather have RC on the bench but doing things his way or whatever.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Studies have been done to show that statistically forwards tend to hit their offensive peaks around 24-25. That’s not to say they are at their best then but their offensive numbers tend to be at their highest in those years. If you hunt through the HOH board you can probably find the studies done.

Obviously there are exceptions to those rules and good players tend to extend their primes and very slowly decline but for every player who peaks statistically in their late 20s there are 5 other guys who never bested their totals pre 25.
Interesting. I wouldve expected 27ish. Whered you find that? I believe you, just curious.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

We're also running four assistant coaches ATM. Five, if you count Niedermayer as a coach. Most teams have 2-3 assistants behind their benches, so four guys seems a bit excessive, unless the HC is on the hot seat...

If this team repeats their performance from October 2015 at the start of next season, no doubt Randy faces the firing squad.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
We're also running four assistant coaches ATM. Five, if you count Niedermayer as a coach. Most teams have 2-3 assistants behind their benches, so four guys seems a bit excessive, unless the HC is on the hot seat...

If this team repeats their performance from October 2015 at the start of next season, no doubt Randy faces the firing squad.

Niedermayer is long gone from any coaching role. I'm pretty sure one of the assistants (Morrison?) doesn't do a hell of a lot although it's hard to say who does what behind the scenes with this organization.

Reactions: Duck Off

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Oh i get that but i meab just by watching rakell... id say he still has another level he can hit... not saying hell hit it but hes def got the skill to do so.

Hes just very good at all aspects of hockey... and like i said specifically i feel like he can become a lethal play maker.... he hasnt had to be because hes on getzlafs wing.

Just a more offensive system could do wonders for his stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad