Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I wouldn't hate Sergachev Girardi either frankly.

One thing I'd note - Rawcharge has an article looking at the anayltics for the first three games. I'd just like to point out that this is the exact wrong way to use analytics.

You mean how I'm using it or rawcharge? I know Sergachev could go down at any time but at least compared to Koekkoek 10 minutes at least is a much bigger endorsement than 3

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You mean how I'm using it or rawcharge? I know Sergachev could go down at any time but at least compared to Koekkoek 10 minutes at least is a much bigger endorsement than 3
The way Rawcharge used it. The whole reason we use Corsi is it gives a much larger sample size to find trends - using it after 3 games is like determining lottery odds by asking three winners how many tickets they bought.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The way Rawcharge used it. The whole reason we use Corsi is it gives a much larger sample size to find trends - using it after 3 games is like determining lottery odds by asking three winners how many tickets they bought.

I guess fortunately for me I don't really look at what Rawcharge says. They should probably wait a month before delving into analytics

Bandit Keith

Apr 5, 2016
Didn't Rawcharge (or one of it's contributors) get really upset that Nesterov got traded because his analytics :teach2: showed he was a second pair d-man?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Didn't Rawcharge (or one of it's contributors) get really upset that Nesterov got traded because his analytics :teach2: showed he was a second pair d-man?

I remember Edmonton fans getting excited because Teddy Purcell's analytics were good.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Lines at practice.. Paquette another Maintenance day.

I know the 4th line looked like a Cup contender's 4th line last game, but, on paper, I like the idea of Dumont there. They're basically a possess and swarm line, and Dumont's speed and faceoff ability should help out. I'm guessing they see the majority of D zone draws. I think I also prefer Dumont over Paquette vs. the Pens in particular.

And yeah, I'm a little skeptical that these are just "maintenance days" for Paquette.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know the 4th line looked like a Cup contender's 4th line last game, but, on paper, I like the idea of Dumont there. They're basically a possess and swarm line, and Dumont's speed and faceoff ability should help out. I'm guessing they see the majority of D zone draws. I think I also prefer Dumont over Paquette vs. the Pens in particular.

And yeah, I'm a little skeptical that these are just "maintenance days" for Paquette.

Dumont might be able to provide more offense as well, and leave the wrecking to Kunitz and Callahan. At some point, need to come up with a Wreck-it-Cally/Kunitz pic or something, lol. It's so exciting and on the edge of your seat, you know the hit is going to come, and hard. Also to hear the crowd cheering. Love it.

If Paquette is out, likely will see Brown scratched again, and will have Dumont at 4C, with Killorn and Johnson being the mystery guest line, lol.

Can't deny that 4th line was sexy. Think they had the best possession numbers also and chances. So glad they cashed in on a goal.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I like a lot of Raw Charge's stuff but, yeah, verrrrrrrrrrry small sample size. To be fair, the author does say "With only three games to draw from, it’s important to remember that this is an extremely small sample size.[snip]Take these stats with a grain of salt..."

Even an analytics guru like Sean Tierney understands... :laugh:

If Coop sticks with 11/7, the D pairs are going to continue to get blender-ized. But, as we saw with the WSH game, just put Hedman and Strålman out there for 26 minutes each and all will be well. :D

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
The best thing is to double shift Kuch or Stammer or Point on that 2nd/3rd line of Killer - Johnson.

Allows us to get some decent D pairs as well and allows us to double shift Hedman or Stralman if necessary as well

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well I think this is contingent on Dotchin playing better. So far he looks like a player who missed all of preseason

Why does everyone keep using this excuse? He didn't miss all of preseason, he didn't miss any preseason he just only played 1 game. Sure it was less than anybody else but maybe be 1 or 2 games, most guys only played 2 or 3 games. Maybe it's just him not being being very good.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Looks like Johnson won't be returning to 70+ point territory again anytime soon.

Johnson is a big boy. If he wants to earn ice time then he can get his head in the game and start producing. 3 games and we've got about 2 very good periods out of him where he actually looked like Tyler Johnson

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Johnson is a big boy. If he wants to earn ice time then he can get his head in the game and start producing. 3 games and we've got about 2 very good periods out of him where he actually looked like Tyler Johnson

He's kind of a north-south shooter though. He's never gonna click with Killorn, who's like a bigger, slower version of him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's kind of a north-south shooter though. He's never gonna click with Killorn, who's like a bigger, slower version of him.

Definitely a north-south player away from the triplets line, boy does chemistry make a difference.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I would NOT split Stammer - Kuch. They re wracking up points no matter the play. Stamkos hasn't shot for $h!t this yr so far but he's set up some nice goals and has drawn a lot of attention so Kuch can get better looks. I was at the Caps game anf on the PP teams were STILL overplaying Stamkos even with Kuch on the ice. I dont necessarily get it, but if theyre gonna do it we will take it. So far, teams can't stop that line so why break it up.

It's up to every other forward to pitch in. Point has so far and Palat is close. Guys like Killorn, Cally and TyJo are making 5m to pitch in. It's up to them to produce points, not rely on others. At the end of the day, these guys have Stammer and Kucherov on their team - they don't need to lead the team to victory. All they have to do is provide support to those two guys. 5m and your job is to support Stammer and Kuch - seems like an amazing opportunity.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Stamkos and Kuch only 2 points together at ES, they're not exactly lighting the world up, they both give up opportunities to shoot with the other on the same line. Take away Stamkos and Kucherov becomes much more assertive on a line, he'll produce the same with Point or Johnson. Take Kucherov away from Stamkos and he better shoot more.

They have the majority of their points together on the PP, so keep them together on that.

Reactions: Hoek

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's up to every other forward to pitch in. Point has so far and Palat is close. Guys like Killorn, Cally and TyJo are making 5m to pitch in. It's up to them to produce points, not rely on others. At the end of the day, these guys have Stammer and Kucherov on their team - they don't need to lead the team to victory. All they have to do is provide support to those two guys. 5m and your job is to support Stammer and Kuch - seems like an amazing opportunity.

More pressure on Killorn, Palat, and Johnson to produce since they are getting the ice time and PP time.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I would keep Point as a center for the time being. If I remember correctly, he's always been better as a center and I don't want Names back to being a center. Let Point have his own line as long as they don't start playing like crap.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would keep Point as a center for the time being. If I remember correctly, he's always been better as a center and I don't want Names back to being a center. Let Point have his own line as long as they don't start playing like crap.

I agree. I just think he should be centering Stamkos. He's our second best playmaker. Our best playmaker happens to be our second best shooter. I'd rather have 40 goal-scorers on two different lines. One of them's going to be getting easier matchups that way.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Can we talk about how great its been not having Sustr in the lineup!! :nod:

It's like night and day.

I agree. I just think he should be centering Stamkos. He's our second best playmaker. Our best playmaker happens to be our second best shooter. I'd rather have 40 goal-scorers on two different lines. One of them's going to be getting easier matchups that way.

Stamkos has NEVER looked good on the wing. Why are we moving him to the wing? And Stamkos and Kucherov are elite players - they can score no matter the match up.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Can we talk about how great its been not having Sustr in the lineup!! :nod:

That's weird seeing how we haven't given up less goals in any of the games he's been out, we actually gave up more in 2 of the 3 but I guess he's still the problem on the defense.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
This is the new game opening video in case y'all haven't seen it yet. I'm putting it in this thread because I wonder if the lack of certain players in it could suggest anything with regards to a possibly tenuous position with the Lightning? The rookies/recent roster additions called up from Syracuse I can understand not being included but... Beh, I'm probably reading too much into this. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad