Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Peca is disappointing because his camp was so strong. Erne just seems inconsistent - he may never stick. Some guys you just know are going to force their way in sooner or later (Cirelli comes to mind as that guy with a neverending motor, Gourde was that guy), some guys just have so much skill you have to let them play, but some guys seem content to collect a paycheck.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
They last thing Peca needs right now is a slow start but it has happened, you don't get many chances. I agree with Erne and I'm not sure he will get much more of a chance with others pushing. I can say that from what I have seen the one thing we lack is high end offensive prospects in Syracuse. Hopefully as the year progresses Volkov could become that guy, but the worst thing that could happen in Tampa right now is injuries to our offensive players.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't know why Erne doesn't seem more motivated, he's a prime age to break into the NHL - he has the size and skillset we lack yet his AHL numbers are kind of "meh", it's almost his spot to lose.

Conacher looks to be the clear cut first call up to me, he was the last cut from the main roster, he's playing very well for the Crunch and has the perfect attitude:
"It's hard news to take. At the same time, this is my job,'' Conacher said of the demotion. "A lot of people would be honored to be in my position where they play hockey for a living. I can't be down. I can't complain. "I want to be the one knocking on the doorstep and taking advantage of the opportunity if I get that,'' he said. "They expect me to go down there and play well.

"For right now, my head's set in Syracuse. "I live each day on its own. I don't really look too much in the future.''

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I not sure its lack of motivation with Erne. Maybe he just lacks that confidence to step up and force it a little bit. He has to know he is running out of time ? When he get the puck and drives to the net he is dominating, but it just happens to rarely. He reminds me on Panik in the way he has the tools but just doesn't use them very often. Here's hopeing he will eventually put it together like Panik finally has.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Peca is disappointing because his camp was so strong. Erne just seems inconsistent - he may never stick. Some guys you just know are going to force their way in sooner or later (Cirelli comes to mind as that guy with a neverending motor, Gourde was that guy), some guys just have so much skill you have to let them play, but some guys seem content to collect a paycheck.

I don't have faith in Erne ever becoming a scoring threat. Guy scored well in junior but don't see it translating that well, as you can see in the A and his callup he's going to struggle to find the back of the net. Maybe he can change his game a bit and carve out a Connolly type career. Peca I just don't think will ever be much, he really should be lighting up the A but has yet to become a ppg player. For someone of his size and style if he can't score as well in the A he won't score much at all in the NHL.

I'm starting to worry about Gourde. He was great in the callup last year scoring goals but can't buy one so far this year. He's relentless, fearless, a puck hound but he's not finding the back of the net, hopefully he's not turning into young JT Brown who did all those things and could never score.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Gourde looks like a fit on the 3rd line whereas Brown doesn't look like a fit in anything other than beer league hockey. Gourde hasn't scored yet but he looks like more of a threat than Brown does, considering Brown shoots every puck around the net. Gourde will get it going. If he can pot 15-20 goals a season, his defense and energy is perfect on the 3rd. That's something Brown showed but not consistently.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Your concern for Gourde is real. I love the guy but I'm not totally sold on him being a top 9 guy yet.

I like his effort and he works well with Point/Palat but the offensive part of his game lacks in skill. He was productive in Syracuse but the NHL is a different beast. Hopefully he will get better with some time.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Gourde is top-9 imo. brings hustle and speed to the middle-6 and his offensive issues are way overblown.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Gourde is getting good chances. I wouldn't necessarily say snakebit but you can see why he'll be about a 10 goal scorer this year. To any effect he'll hit his stride and we'll be a better team with that than Brown at his best. I'm not dissing Brown but he's proof that not all players are created equally.

Reactions: The Green Unit

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I have been giving an idea some thought -perhaps too much. But no one here knows if we are even so much as making the playoffs but let's hypothetically assume in either direction.

1. The Lighting falter and in that case I'd argue sweeping changes need to be made. Over these 6 games we have proven we can beat top teams and have made our case that we in fact belong in the playoffs. It doesn't mean we are going to make it. It just means that we've played well enough during this brief stretch to prove that we are indeed capable of winning big games. But let's say we get a redux of Guy Boucher and 2012 and the Lightning fall apart after a promising 5-1 start.

In this case what players do we sell off? Who do we have that doesn't fit within the puzzle?

2. The Lightning continue their success. We see a rise to the top (or near the top) of the Atlantic division and suddenly Barry Melrose looks like he might be onto something because with each passing week we look more and more destined for the playoffs. At the same time I think everyone knows that we are paper champion. It doesn't hurt nor jinx anything for me to say it. We made a SCF, an ECF then got derailed by injuries last year and right now we sit at 5-1 having beaten (wait for it) WSH, PIT, STL and then a 4-1 DET team.

In this case do you think we try to add anyone before the TDL? If so then who? Or do we stand pat and keep going with what we have?

I hate to be so black and white about it but we are either making the playoffs or we are not just like any other team. And I think no matter what we are coming to this crossroads

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We were 5-1 to start last season too.. The main difference is the level of play which is the bright spot this season, last year they coasted and won games with 10mins worth of effort, we're still far from a full effort but it's a lot better than last season.

There's no one worth adding with our limited cap space, not worth giving up assets either. Our biggest question mark is goaltending right now, maybe a backup goaltender if Budaj stinks it up.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What's with the concern with Gourde? Guys way better than Brown was at puck retrieval, that lines creating but not finishing that includes Palat who's got 1 point in the past 5 games. Point in the only one hitting the scoresheet.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Gourde looks like a fit on the 3rd line whereas Brown doesn't look like a fit in anything other than beer league hockey. Gourde hasn't scored yet but he looks like more of a threat than Brown does, considering Brown shoots every puck around the net. Gourde will get it going. If he can pot 15-20 goals a season, his defense and energy is perfect on the 3rd. That's something Brown showed but not consistently.

Two years ago Brown was looking like he could be a solid 3rd liner. He was doing everything Gourde is while getting points. Looked like he could be a 10-20-30 guy who did all the little things too, he was outplaying Callahan. He got hurt in the playoffs that year and his offense just never recovered. Gourde haa better offensive abilities and instincts to where he should produce more but sometimes it just doesn't click for full seasons. Cory Conacher is a similar guy in he has short spurts of production but can't sustain it all year.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
What's with the concern with Gourde? Guys way better than Brown was at puck retrieval, that lines creating but not finishing that includes Palat who's got 1 point in the past 5 games. Point in the only one hitting the scoresheet.
He needs to shoot a bit more but he's a puck hound out there, and leads to a lot of goals where he isn't on the score sheet. He's starting to remind me of Palat.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
We were 5-1 to start last season too.. The main difference is the level of play which is the bright spot this season, last year they coasted and won games with 10mins worth of effort, we're still far from a full effort but it's a lot better than last season.

There's no one worth adding with our limited cap space, not worth giving up assets either. Our biggest question mark is goaltending right now, maybe a backup goaltender if Budaj stinks it up.
As far as adds - I think if we're getting closer to playoff time throwing some assets at a guy like Neal could be worth it. Scoring RW is thin right now and that would give us some scary scoring depth (although I f***ing hate Neal).

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
As far as adds - I think if we're getting closer to playoff time throwing some assets at a guy like Neal could be worth it. Scoring RW is thin right now and that would give us some scary scoring depth (although I ****ing hate Neal).

Can we even afford Neal? We only have 1.5~m in capspace which means we'd have to throw better assets to retain. I wanna see how our goaltending holds up around the deadline, the rest of the lineup looks very deadly right now.

You put Neal with Palat-Point and move Gourde with Johnson and we'd be ridiculous.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Can we even afford Neal? We only have 1.5~m in capspace which means we'd have to throw better assets to retain. I wanna see how our goaltending holds up around the deadline, the rest of the lineup looks very deadly right now.

You put Neal with Palat-Point and move Gourde with Johnson and we'd be ridiculous.
Cap space accumulates through the season. I don't know what his contract is but we'll basically have about 8m in space at the deadline - as a rental he'd fit (although I would be against re-signing him next season barring a cap explosion).

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Cap space accumulates through the season. I don't know what his contract is but we'll basically have about 8m in space at the deadline - as a rental he'd fit (although I would be against re-signing him next season barring a cap explosion).

Neal has a 5m caphit, but GMGM loves his defenseman - type of guy who'd take a chance on a 6'7 26 year old defenseman with upside ;)

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Neal has a 5m caphit, but GMGM loves his defenseman - type of guy who'd take a chance on a 6'7 26 year old defenseman with upside ;)
I mean - it's going to take a first or an A prospect, so only do it if it looks like we are a piece away.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland

He did a great job on that Stamkos goal last night and that's what he has to do. He's very effective in that role. I don't think he'll suddenly become a great scorer but if he keeps playing that way, he'll get around 30 points and that's fine. For a cap hit of one million we could do a lot worse.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
IMO Sustr needs to traded or even waived, he is taking ice time from better young players. I expect that after game 10 if we keep Serg on the roster.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Why waive Sustr? That makes no sense. Scratch him sure, give him 5 minutes a night, sure, but you never know when someone might get injured. Sustr as a #6/#7 is fine if that comes to pass, don't dismiss his value as a depth guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad