Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm thoroughly impressed with how much better this new lineup looks and moreso by how it is playing. The entire lineup looks healthy, rested and rejuvenated. And imagine that... we get some roster turnover and suddenly we get stretches where it's as if though we are watching a brand new team.

I agree with the comments about Sustr. Addition by subtraction. The improvement is so profound that I cannot possibly justify him ever returning to the lineup. I just pray to almighty God we just keep the defense as it is. It's clear that we can move forward with two rookies. However I am apprehensive and nervous at the idea of Hedman continuing to pull 25+ minutes a night. His injury risk increases the more he plays and I neither want to see him get injured and be exhausted by April from carrying us for 6 months and then being asked to work even harder for another 2 months through a Cup run.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This is the new game opening video in case y'all haven't seen it yet. I'm putting it in this thread because I wonder if the lack of certain players in it could suggest anything with regards to a possibly tenuous position with the Lightning? The rookies/recent roster additions called up from Syracuse I can understand not being included but... Beh, I'm probably reading too much into this. :confused:

It's a bit surprising how much emphasis they put on Names.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm thoroughly impressed with how much better this new lineup looks and moreso by how it is playing. The entire lineup looks healthy, rested and rejuvenated. And imagine that... we get some roster turnover and suddenly we get stretches where it's as if though we are watching a brand new team.

I agree with the comments about Sustr. Addition by subtraction. The improvement is so profound that I cannot possibly justify him ever returning to the lineup. I just pray to almighty God we just keep the defense as it is. It's clear that we can move forward with two rookies. However I am apprehensive and nervous at the idea of Hedman continuing to pull 25+ minutes a night. His injury risk increases the more he plays and I neither want to see him get injured and be exhausted by April from carrying us for 6 months and then being asked to work even harder for another 2 months through a Cup run.

We're not gonna need him for > 25 minutes every night. If we can play, for instance, the Detroit Red Wings with the intensity that we played the majority of the last three games, the game will hopefully be a lot more comfortable and we can keep Hedman in the lower 20 range.

But there's no reason he can't put in the same kind of minutes the other top Dmen in the league put in.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Thinking about making a move for Killorn or Namestnikov in fantasy for a week. Any suggestions of the two of who i should pick? Looking for points mostly esp on the pp and goals in general.

Thanks in advance

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Thinking about making a move for Killorn or Namestnikov in fantasy for a week. Any suggestions of the two of who i should pick? Looking for points mostly esp on the pp and goals in general.

Thanks in advance
Namestnikov. He will get his points playing with Stamkos and Kucherov while Killorn's numbers so far are much better than he actually has played. He also had a 4 point game against Pittsburgh which he probably won't repeat any time this season.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We're not gonna need him for > 25 minutes every night. If we can play, for instance, the Detroit Red Wings with the intensity that we played the majority of the last three games, the game will hopefully be a lot more comfortable and we can keep Hedman in the lower 20 range.

But there's no reason he can't put in the same kind of minutes the other top Dmen in the league put in.

I'm sure Hedman could play 25 minutes a night ala Keith and Weber no problem but I cannot necessarily advocate that he should. The injury bug has been torturous these last 2 years and Hedman is the one guy we have on this team other than maybe Kucherov that we CAN NOT lose under any circumstance. It's full blown conspiracy theory that I would worry about him burning out from fatigue before the playoffs given he is in the prime of his career but given the fact we've never really asked him to go beyond 22 minutes (until the last few years) it just gives me a slight worry when the current recipe for success entails him playing probably 26 minutes a night at least. I don't know... perhaps I worry too much.

Because if we do in fact stick with Koekkoek and Sergachev and part ways with Sustr to create a Hedman-Dotchin, Sergachev-Stralman, Girardi-Coburn + Koekkoek lineup then I would say that an objective view of the situation demands that Hedman play that 26 minutes a night every night. It would be much as out of necessity as it would be due to that the more he plays the better our chances will be of winning. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the correlation of winning more when your best players are on the ice more.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Namestnikov. He will get his points playing with Stamkos and Kucherov while Killorn's numbers so far are much better than he actually has played. He also had a 4 point game against Pittsburgh which he probably won't repeat any time this season.

I think Killer's been surprisingly good. Not as good as his numbers, mind you, but it should be said that we're seeing the "good" version of him so far.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I think Killer's been surprisingly good. Not as good as his numbers, mind you, but it should be said that we're seeing the "good" version of him so far.
I'd expect him to return to his 0,5ppg production soon. Namestnikov however could put up ~50 points if that line will stay as it is for the whole season.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Well dude, he is in the middle of a PP unit with Kucherov, Hedman, and Stamkos. So you almost expect him to have higher numbers.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well dude, he is in the middle of a PP unit with Kucherov, Hedman, and Stamkos. So you almost expect him to have higher numbers.

Yeah, but I think that's not really giving Killer the credit he's due. He was invisible last year, but this year he looks a lot like he did in 2015. Same as a lot of our guys. He'll probably wind up at 0.5 points per game, like always, but he's playing pretty solid hockey despite having 0 chemistry with Tyler Johnson.

I really think Killer would be a better fit with Point, who could put Killer's above average shot to good use, as we've already seen.

Reactions: The Green Unit

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yeah, but I think that's not really giving Killer the credit he's due. He was invisible last year, but this year he looks a lot like he did in 2015. Same as a lot of our guys. He'll probably wind up at 0.5 points per game, like always, but he's playing pretty solid hockey despite having 0 chemistry with Tyler Johnson.

I really think Killer would be a better fit with Point, who could put Killer's above average shot to good use, as we've already seen.

Agreed. He's done a lot more to impress me 5 on 5 so far than he has on the PP. Proving me wrong

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
c a l l u p v o l k o v
l o s e j t b r o w n
Brown already has been scratched in every game but one. I'd rather have Volkov playing full time in the AHL than in the NHL playing a single game every now and then. One possibility though would be to go 12-6 and put Volkov on the 2nd line with Johnson and Killorn so they'd get a permanent linemate. But, we haven't seen Volkov playing at the NHL level yet so he'd have to really impress to get into our top 6.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Guys please........ Volkov is not even close to NHL ready, he had a couple of good exhibition games that is all. He has no points in 5 ahl games for a reason. He hasn't come close to playing an 80 game schedule before he needs a full year in Syracuse at the very least.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Guys please........ Volkov is not even close to NHL ready, he had a couple of good exhibition games that is all. He has no points in 5 ahl games for a reason. He hasn't come close to playing an 80 game schedule before he needs a full year in Syracuse at the very least.
This. Shiny new toy syndrome is taking over. He is still largely an unknown quantity, and it's absurd to put a just drafted player onto the second line without some sort of track record. He's like... the fourth call up at forward right now at best.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Nah he's not fourth callup. He should be first RW callup.

(Erne at LW, Peca at c)

I think Erne would get called up first at either wing, then Peca, then Conacher. Volkov probably isn't even next up after that. Mitchell Stephens had a pretty stellar camp too.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think Erne would get called up first at either wing, then Peca, then Conacher. Volkov probably isn't even next up after that. Mitchell Stephens had a pretty stellar camp too.
Yeah maybe. I think he's NHL ready though.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Conacher wayyyyy better than Erne
Stephens wayyyyyy better than Peca

At this point Erne is in trouble and about to surpassed by the young guys if he doesn't pick it up. He had a long run last year and kept getting less ice time as he went along. Not a good sign that Gourde and Dumont passed their auditions and he didn't . A spot was his for the taking.
Peca I can't explain so far he played so well and camp and so poorly in the early crunch season, I can't explain it but Stephens if based on this season alone (along with Cirelli) have been FAR superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad