Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Look - we know Kucherov and Stamkos are going to get out of their funks - they are the last two players on this team I'm worried about (along with Hedman). My issues are similar to the ones last year - our D (outside of Hedman and to an extent Sergachev) are not contributing on offense again. We're relying too much on stretch passes and when we finally do get set into the zone everyone is trying to make lower percentage cross-ice passes to get tap in goals. The fact we were doing that against substandard goal tenders makes it more frustrating.

I think there's still hope. Both Coburn and Strålman contributed offensively in the Washington game. Coburn has been skating better than I'd seen him skate in a while. Strålman has 2 A in 3 games (plus hit a post or two on the PP) and has been playing and skating more like his 2014-2015/2015-2016 self. He had 26:03 TOI last night and didn't even look tired. If he continues to stay healthy, I think we might just get another 30+ point season from him.

He has become that puck hound that he was always known for. Stripped the Caps a few times last night and won those Board battles set up both Paquette and Kunitz with prime chances. I think he is good with this line but like to see him get more ice time. So PP is the best chance of that right now.

Cally has been in Beast Mode for these first three games! The Cally/Paquette/Kunitz line was terrific last night! It's so great to see Cally looking like himself again. :D

Stammer has 5 points and hasn't lit the lamp yet. He has always been a streaky goal scorer. He will net 5 in 3 games and the worlds all good again.

Yeah, I'm not as worried about Stamkos for that same reason. Yes, his timing is still off, but dang it, he's scoring points! He's actually looking better than I expected at this time in the season so I again have hope that he'll have a great season.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cally has been in Beast Mode for these first three games! The Cally/Paquette/Kunitz line was terrific last night! It's so great to see Cally looking like himself again. :D

I was swearing up and down when the lines were posted during morning skate. Lol. Was like how the F can Coop put him on the 4th line when he has been playing well. Then I realized they were going with 11F/7D, he actually got around the same amount of ES 5 on 5 ice time more or less as Killorn and Johnson last night, and while on this new line, his scoring chances increased alot. So no complaints. I just feel he should get some PP time. 15 to 16 mins of ice time a game would be perfect for him. Maybe Coop is easing him back to the lineup? I dunno.

It's frustrating when he is playing like his old self he and not getting the opportunity. Before it was the other way around, playing over his head, but he was playing with a busted hip. DFC made a good point about the north and south thing, and with only the 3rd game in, think if he continues to play like this and stays healthy he will get those opportunities.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I was swearing up and down when the lines were posted during morning skate. Lol. Was like how the F can Coop put him on the 4th line when he has been playing well. Then I realized they were going with 11F/7D, he actually got around the same amount of ES 5 on 5 ice time more or less as Killorn and Johnson last night, and while on this new line, his scoring chances increased alot. So no complaints. I just feel he should get some PP time. 15 to 16 mins of ice time a game would be perfect for him. Maybe Coop is easing him back to the lineup? I dunno.

It's frustrating when he is playing like his old self he and not getting the opportunity. Before it was the other way around, playing over his head, but he was playing with a busted hip. DFC made a good point about the north and south thing, and with only the 3rd game in, think if he continues to play like this and stays healthy he will get those opportunities.

I think he was only at 12 minutes last game. I'd like to see 15-16 as well, so long as he's playing like he is right now. He was a big reason we won the first game vs. Florida. But yeah, I don't see many points in his future unless he's playing with someone who can create plays. That was always the issue with 17-91-24.

Brayden Point is a legit chance generator though. Gotta think we'll see 18-21-24 at some point. Or hell, even 17-21-24. Point can create offense for those two, which frees up Palat help out Johnson.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I know it's only early, but man, as a past critic of Callahan's play, I can do nothing but praise him for how he's come out. The trademark Callahan hustle and bustle is there, but it's more then that. Creating the turnovers, making offensively smart decisions. It's something we haven't seen in a while, obviously mostly due to the injuries, but it reminded me of why I use to get so frustrated, because I knew what he was capable of.

Keep up the good work Mr Callahan

:thumbu:

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
I know it's only early, but man, as a past critic of Callahan's play, I can do nothing but praise him for how he's come out. The trademark Callahan hustle and bustle is there, but it's more then that. Creating the turnovers, making offensively smart decisions. It's something we haven't seen in a while, obviously mostly due to the injuries, but it reminded me of why I use to get so frustrated, because I knew what he was capable of.

Keep up the good work Mr Callahan

:thumbu:

I won’t bitch about his contract all year if he keeps up the good play. Also, someone mentioned about that coburn has looked really good. Wanted to second this. His mobility looks great. Will be interested to see some possession metrics with a bigger sample size.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Outsider looking in.

It baffles me that TB isn't more dominant than they are, given the lineup. That makes me think that it's Cooper bringing you down.

Am I way off?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm loving me some Callahan, nothing better than hard worker 4th liner who has 0 points and is making 5.8mil.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm loving me some Callahan, nothing better than hard worker 4th liner who has 0 points and is making 5.8mil.
He will never be worth that contract but he has definitely been a pleasant surprise so far after a couple of very poor seasons full of injuries.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He will never be worth that contract but he has definitely been a pleasant surprise so far after a couple of very poor seasons full of injuries.

How is he a pleasant surprise? He's always been a balls out player wether he was healthy or not. He limped around the ice the last two years still trying to hit everything and block shots. We are paying him to produce like a top 6 player not to be an overpaid Clutterbuck.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
How is he a pleasant surprise? He's always been a balls out player wether he was healthy or not. He limped around the ice the last two years still trying to hit everything and block shots. We are paying him to produce like a top 6 player not to be an overpaid Clutterbuck.
Well, the biggest thing probably is that he's fully healthy now, lol. And I'm pretty sure no one's expecting him to be a top 6 player anymore. Obviously considering his salary you'd not want him to be just a bottom 6 player but that's reality. People were wondering whether he could be even that anymore but clearly he can, if he can just stay healthy now.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

It's hard for him to produce without PP time or Top 6 mins skating with a play-maker. So really can't expect him to justify that contract if he is not getting the ice time. But I don't think people should of expected him to be this 50 point player the 2nd half of his contract. Right now Coop has put him into this Bottom 6 shutdown role, he started the season with Johnson, but that did not work out, was not really on him, Johnson off to a poor start.

It's good seeing him like his old self because people here were ready to write him off as the next Ohlund. But right now it is not his fault for not producing (OMG, it's only the 3rd game, and not sure who is complaining about his points). He is not getting PP time and averaging 12 mins a game. Kunitz and Paquette picked up a point because of his hard work, and he got nothing to show for it. Same for the EN goal against Florida. Typical Callahan.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Outsider looking in.

It baffles me that TB isn't more dominant than they are, given the lineup. That makes me think that it's Cooper bringing you down.

Am I way off?

... 3 games in and we just beat the Capitals, so we currently have a winning record. The Pens got beat 10 to 1. The Rangers, Canadiens, Predators, Sharks, Oilers ... have losing records. Again, we are just 3 games in. If you are speaking of last year ... in which we had under performing veterans like Filp / Bishop / Garrison who got rightfully traded away. And we had the second most injured team in terms of man games lost and most injured team in terms of CAP $s lost. And you put that all together and blame Cooper ... and then disregard that he developed: Vasi / Hedman / Kucherov / Palat / Johnson / Point / Namestnikov / etc / etc / etc and is now developing Sergachev then yeah. Its all on Cooper for sucking so hard. Yeah, f*** that guy who has Two Stanley Cup appearances.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's hard for him to produce without PP time or Top 6 mins skating with a play-maker. So really can't expect him to justify that contract if he is not getting the ice time. But I don't think people should of expected him to be this 50 point player the 2nd half of his contract. Right now Coop has put him into this Bottom 6 shutdown role, he started the season with Johnson, but that did not work out, was not really on him, Johnson off to a poor start.

It's good seeing him like his old self because people here were ready to write him off as the next Ohlund. But right now it is not his fault for not producing (OMG, it's only the 3rd game, and not sure who is complaining about his points). He is not getting PP time and averaging 12 mins a game. Kunitz and Paquette picked up a point because of his hard work, and he got nothing to show for it. Same for the EN goal against Florida. Typical Callahan.
He's great at the role he is in now, I'm fine with that. The only way he could be an effective top 6 player would be to put him next to two skilled players and let Callahan do the dirty work for them. Kind of like Namestnikov and Killorn have done or Steve Downie back in the day.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
... 3 games in and we just beat the Capitals, so we currently have a winning record. The Pens got beat 10 to 1. The Rangers, Canadiens, Predators, Sharks, Oilers ... have losing records. Again, we are just 3 games in. If you are speaking of last year ... in which we had under performing veterans like Filp / Bishop / Garrison who got rightfully traded away. And we had the second most injured team in terms of man games lost and most injured team in terms of CAP $s lost. And you put that all together and blame Cooper ... and then disregard that he developed: Vasi / Hedman / Kucherov / Palat / Johnson / Point / Namestnikov / etc / etc / etc and is now developing Sergachev then yeah. Its all on Cooper for sucking so hard. Yeah, **** that guy who loses to the Stanley Cup champions in the playoffs.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's great at the role he is in now, I'm fine with that. The only way he could be an effective top 6 player would be to put him next to two skilled players and let Callahan do the dirty work for them. Kind of like Namestnikov and Killorn have done or Steve Downie back in the day.

No one is going to deny not even me that he is overpaid. I would be happy with him getting on the 3rd line with a play-making 3C, get some PP time on the 2nd unit, and top PK mins. That is the role I envisioned for him. Is it worth 5.8 million, hell no, but he is going to help this team win, if he continues this play and stays healthy. He should also be rewarded with more opportunities from Cooper if he keeps this up, imo.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
No one is going to deny not even me that he is overpaid. I would be happy with him getting on the 3rd line with a play-making 3C, get some PP time on the 2nd unit, and top PK mins. That is the role I envisioned for him. Is it worth 5.8 million, hell no, but he is going to help this team win, if he continues this play and stays healthy. He should also be rewarded with more opportunities from Cooper if he keeps this up, imo.
PP time could definitely be had as a net front presence guy, we lost that when we traded Boyle. If the 4th line can continue to be as effective as they were against the Caps then I see no reason to seperate them now. Lines will change as the season goes on and Callahan will see top 6 time most likely at some point.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
... 3 games in and we just beat the Capitals, so we currently have a winning record. The Pens got beat 10 to 1. The Rangers, Canadiens, Predators, Sharks, Oilers ... have losing records. Again, we are just 3 games in. If you are speaking of last year ... in which we had under performing veterans like Filp / Bishop / Garrison who got rightfully traded away. And we had the second most injured team in terms of man games lost and most injured team in terms of CAP $s lost. And you put that all together and blame Cooper ... and then disregard that he developed: Vasi / Hedman / Kucherov / Palat / Johnson / Point / Namestnikov / etc / etc / etc and is now developing Sergachev then yeah. Its all on Cooper for sucking so hard. Yeah, **** that guy who has Two Stanley Cup appearances.

What an oversimplified way of thinking, we lose to champions and so it's ok? How about actually you know beating them? two cup appearances? Since when?

If your idea of developing Vasi is throwing him in to get shelled and the first half of his career where a team lead by Cooper plays like trash nearly everytime the guy starts in net then sure.

It's funny you want to excuse last year like there's no chance we had at making the playoffs, including the injuries we had all the means and talent to still make the playoffs, they didn't because they spent most of their time healthy playing to the bottom on the east for the 2nd season in a row until February. How is that excuseable again for a team like this? Because as long as you go on 20 game hot streak with your back against the wall it's ok?

Reactions: The Macho Man

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
PP time could definitely be had, we lost that when we traded Boyle. If the 4th line can continue to be as effective as they were against the Caps then I see no reason to seperate them now. Lines will change as the season goes on and Callahan will see top 6 time most likely at some point.

Not complaining he is on that line like I said above. He had the best scoring chances and looks than he did with Johnson and Killorn.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lines at practice.. Paquette another Maintenance day.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You the man Nick. Looks like we're sticking with Sergachev with Stralman. My fingers are crossed it's staying this way. Over 10 minutes a night doesn't sound like a player who will be re-assigned to juniors any time soon.

Serg has been good. I like the D pairings. Girardi has found a nice home on the bottom pairing with Coburn.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You the man Nick. Looks like we're sticking with Sergachev with Stralman. My fingers are crossed it's staying this way. Over 10 minutes a night doesn't sound like a player who will be re-assigned to juniors any time soon.
I wouldn't hate Sergachev Girardi either frankly.

One thing I'd note - Rawcharge has an article looking at the anayltics for the first three games. I'd just like to point out that this is the exact wrong way to use analytics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad