Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Considering his coach has come out and said he needs to work more on his play without the puck in order to become a great player in college, I can't see how his defensive play can be called a strength.

His D zone play isn't a strength, but it's not a big liability either. If you look at someone like Tyson Barrie, he has problems away from the puck most times he's in the D zone. IMO, Cale Makar has shown more reliability defensively in the NCAA and WJC this year, than Tyson Barrie has shown for the Avs in the NHL. That earns him enough in my eyes not to write off his NHL/AHL readiness before you even test it.

The question is how will that translate to the NHL/AHL, how many early hiccups will he have, and how successful will he be offensively to negate some of those hiccups? The latter is the biggest question mark in my eyes, and it's what keeps Barrie's problems away from the puck from being a huge problem.

There really isn't any way to tell how far off Makar is from the level of liability that players like Barrie or Girard display, until you see him play against NHLers. Anyone who suggests otherwise is just guessing, and could easily be wrong. That's why a ton of people claimed Girard wasn't ready, but they were just assuming based off preconceived notions.

Carvel's comments about Makar staying have as much to do with self interest, as Madigan's comments for Northeastern, about him being NHL ready today had to do with pushing him to leave. UMASS would take a big hit if Makar leaves.

Honestly, it's a shame either felt the need to take that route. Berenson did the same thing with Compher when it looked like he might leave. Whether they're NHL ready or not, just save the comments for private meetings, and let the player and their family decide. I'm sure the Avs aren't too happy about it. This is the NCAA though. Self interest drives teams almost like no other pro or amateur league in North America.

Again for the record, I'm fine with him returning to the NCAA over the NHL/AHL if that's what happens. Each route has their pluses and minuses at this point, and I'm usually fine with erring on the side of caution with young D men.

Last edited:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Yeah I absolutely think going back to UMass is the best thing for him right now. Like people have stated, he was very good this year, but we want amazing. He made a huge jump from the AJHL to NCAA this year and looked good doing it, but I'd expect him to completely dominate next year. Could still have him play for the Avs this time next year when he's ready.

Still think Jost needed more time as well, but that's another discussion entirely.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Still think Jost needed more time as well, but that's another discussion entirely.

I'd say that fits in this discussion. Jost was rushed a bit and his struggles this year reflect that. He wasn't ready physically or mentally. Mentally he is coming around now. Physically it wasn't really ever going to happen this year with the injuries and the lack of off training that can be done with a NHL schedule. It isn't going to hurt him long-term, but I think Jost would be more advanced if he had stayed another year. I see it similar with Makar... long-term he probably figures it out regardless, but giving him more time to ripen will help.

Reactions: Barklez

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'd say that fits in this discussion. Jost was rushed a bit and his struggles this year reflect that. He wasn't ready physically or mentally. Mentally he is coming around now. Physically it wasn't really ever going to happen this year with the injuries and the lack of off training that can be done with a NHL schedule. It isn't going to hurt him long-term, but I think Jost would be more advanced if he had stayed another year. I see it similar with Makar... long-term he probably figures it out regardless, but giving him more time to ripen will help.

Blah, blah, blah, PLAY THE KIDZ NOW! blah, blah, blah.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I honestly think going back for another year is the best option. I want him to have a year of dominance where his confidence is at an all time high, then sign him to an ATO for the remainder of the AHL season and then follow that up with his ELC in that offseason. This route allows us to have him expansion exempt for an extra year, allows him to get a good view into the pro game as well as helps him familiarize himself with the system before going to the show/fighting for a serious spot in 2019/20.

I get the argument that he might be NHL ready or close to it now, but given the fact that we finally are in the position to let prospects develop properly I think it’s best to let the prospect over ripen a bit.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Physically it wasn't really ever going to happen this year with the injuries and the lack of off training that can be done with a NHL schedule.
Jost needs to hit the Mack diet this summer. Mack beefed up quite a bit betweeen his rookie and sophomore season. He needs to add ~10 lb of mass.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jost needs to hit the Mack diet this summer. Mack beefed up quite a bit betweeen his rookie and sophomore season. He needs to add ~10 lb of mass.

I actually disagree about adding mass. He needs to get stronger but stay lean... Jost’s skating isn’t explosive enough to handle a lot more weight.

Reactions: cgf

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I actually disagree about adding mass. He needs to get stronger but stay lean... Jost’s skating isn’t explosive enough to handle a lot more weight.
He can add muscle mass to his legs/lower body which would give him more explosiveness and a lower center of gravity (aka more difficult to knock off the puck).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He can add muscle mass to his legs/lower body which would give him more explosiveness and a lower center of gravity (aka more difficult to knock off the puck).

This is two years ago. He has legs that powerlifters would be jealous of. Plus, Jost has gotten substantially bigger since. He can always stand to get stronger, especially up top. But Just is a thick, strong kid.

Reactions: Avalanche

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This is two years ago. He has legs that powerlifters would be jealous of.
Huh? It's hard to tell from this video but he doesn't appear to have bigger legs than a normal hockey player his size.

These are big hockey legs:

martin-st-louis-legs.jpg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yep... he’s solidly built now. He can always get stronger, but I really don’t think he should put on much, if any, weight. He needs to maintain and gain as much explosiveness as possible.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jost was just fine physically this year. As evidence by the fact people try to knock him down when he has the puck down low, and a lot of the time he plays right through it.

The issue has always been his skating, and even that has improved quite a bit since the start of the year. He's not any less strong than Kerfoot, and perhaps the same with Andrighetto, Nieto, and Barrie. He looks stronger on his skates to me than Compher as well.

It's Jost's separation speed to get away from the contact that he needed to improve.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
He's my role model in general. The man is a national treasure.

y8oreyblr2oz.jpg

That man is a National Treasure, and I don't mean the entertaining (yet laughably improbable) films starring the incomparable Nicolas Cage...actually, now that I think about it, I would pay to see Phil Kessell in a reboot of the National Treasure movies.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
They were the 8th seed who beat the 9th seed who had six wins in the conference and needed three games including two in OT to do it. It was a nice accomplishment but not exactly indicative of not being mediocre.

I've said enough about what I think of that program and what staying an extra year in school has to offer him. But the angle I think won't get enough play is the fact that they are going to have to offer a bit more than the AHL to get the guy to leave school. Jost didn't leave for the AHL, it's not a shock if Makar doesn't either.
They’re one of the youngest teams in the conference if I’m not mistaken? I believe they’ll be better next year. They’re like 80% underclassmen.

That said. Again. To me it’s irrelevant how uMass is next year. I don’t think he needs to work on that much hockey related. He needs to keep growing physically. It looks like he’s gotten taller. So my hope is he can put on 10 pounds and solid strength. Come in at 6’ 200. That’s a great size. But it’s impossible to lift and gain size during a season. Your body is so fatigued from games that lifting enough weight to get bigger and stronger isn’t possible. Especially with a pro style season.

If he can take the summer to physically mature. And practice skills in a non game setting it will benefit him much more than playing against scrubs in the ECHL like that.

He can easily train in the summer.
Abuse people next season in Hockey East.
Come straight to the NHL the year after.

Plus he won’t need to be protected which is massive imo.

Reactions: Barklez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad