Prospect Info: 2017-18 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
Boston University wins the Hockey East semifinal over Boston College in overtime! Bowers with the primary assist on the game winner.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Boston University wins the Hockey East semifinal over Boston College in overtime! Bowers with the primary assist on the game winner.
Yeah, he took the puck from behind the net and bullied it towards the front, which went across to Curry. Not sure that was his intentions, as I think he was just trying to wrap it around, nonetheless his determination made his own puck luck as people call it.

OHL Announces 2017-18 Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League

Barron finished 1st in "hardest worker" and "best body checker", while Timmins hands down won "best defensive-defenceman" with 43 votes (second place had 14).

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah, he took the puck from behind the net and bullied it towards the front, which went across to Curry. Not sure that was his intentions, as I think he was just trying to wrap it around, nonetheless his determination made his own puck luck as people call it.

OHL Announces 2017-18 Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League

Barron finished 1st in "hardest worker" and "best body checker", while Timmins hands down won "best defensive-defenceman" with 43 votes (second place had 14).

Really hope that Barron can carve himself a nice career as a bottom 6er who can chip in 15-20 points.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

FIG04_122111.jpg

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I was trying to understand why some many posters were posting on the Makar thread, basically running him down as overrated (many of whom were leaf fans), now it makes more sense, as the timing coincided with the the 2018 publication of THN Future Watch, with Makar ranked number 4.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sorry if this is the wrong thread, or if it's been referenced already.

I'm listening to the latest 31 Thoughts podcast and Marek just shared some info he got from Patrick Roy, who was dead-set against drafting Conner Bleackley in 2014. He was pushing for them to draft based on need and get a defenseman. Avs brass at the time overruled him and got what they thought was the Best Player Available. Whoops.

This is not new information, we knew Roy was not happy at all about that draft (rightfully so), but to hear it directly like that is still interesting to me at least.

And don't look at the players taken immediately after Bleackley in that draft, save yourself the trouble.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Meh, there's some good forwards taken after Bleackley, but not much in the way of Dmen.

In fact the first Dman taken after Bleacks was Dominik Masin and not until pick 35 did that occur.

Avs got Bleackley wrong but had they opted for Roy's plan I'm not sure it would have been much better. The Dmen taken after Bleackley include Masin, Marcus Pettersson, Andreas Englund, Josh Jacobs, Julius Bergman, Ryan Collins, Roland McKeown, Jack Dougherty, and finally you get to an impactful Dman in Brandon Montour at pick #55.

It's still early times for that draft and I know guys like Pettersson and McKeown are still regarded pretty highly, but I'd say regardless of what route the Avs took that year, we probably would have had a disappointing 1st round.

Too bad Hepple and our current scouting philosophies weren't in place in time for that draft though. No doubt they would have been much higher on Pasta then what they were and maybe we'd have him added to this team as well right now.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Too bad Hepple and our current scouting philosophies weren't in place in time for that draft though. No doubt they would have been much higher on Pasta then what they were and maybe we'd have him added to this team as well right now.
Can you imagine if he had still been here in 2015? A choice between a big, gritty, OHL guy in Lawson Crouse, or some fancy sissy boy Euro nobody named Rantananananen. It's scary to think what kind of decision Pracey would have made there...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Can you imagine if he had still been here in 2015? A choice between a big, gritty, OHL guy in Lawson Crouse, or some fancy sissy boy Euro nobody named Rantananananen. It's scary to think what kind of decision Pracey would have made there...

He would've picked Barzal. A small, high-scoring C with low goal totals & injury concerns from the WHL? That's Pracey's wheelhouse. Crouse was too big & strong.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Alright...

Been watching practically the entire Hockey East tourney and got some reports. First off, let me say that in regards to Bowers and Tkachuk comparisons and all that jazz, Brady is definitely a level higher than Shane. If I was going to compare the two personally, Tkachuk has more individual talent while Bowers has strengths mostly geared towards the team. Ultimately, individual talent is more relevant and no doubt in my mind Tkachuk will be the better player in the future. I suggest that when it comes to numbers being relatively close, Bowers get much softer minutes being played on BU's 3rd line while Brady is on the first line with Jordan Greenway and I believe Cloonan. I am not trying to make Bowers look negative here, just trying to be a realistic, so next year will be a more telling season for Shane in how much potential he has with more important minutes.

Tkachuk is a complete tank and in terms of throwball, he is built like a TE. Being just 18 years old is quite remarkable how tough and strong he already is. I doubt we get Tkachuk due to how brutal Senators are, but if they finish around 6th or 7th, picturing a line of Greer - Tkachuk - Morrison would be bullshark-testosterone-drool-worthy. Brady does suffer from some bad skating though, definitely cannot showcase his skill set while trying to smash his way through defenders on the forecheck (Matthew is much more mobile of a player and is more of a havoc because of that).

Bowers on the other hand is a very powerful skater and will absolutely fit into Avs style. Additionally, Shane is an EXTREMELY determined player and wants to do as much as possible to contribute in teamwork. He's that type of guy who works so hard that it rubs off on other players, as those guys do not want to look less lazy than he does. He also possesses a good range of IQ always making smart plays' with the puck, but his other offencive tools are still a work in progress. His defencive game is as good as advertised and should become the second best two-way forward on the Avs after Landeskog if he keeps developing. I mentioned in the past that he reminds me of Backlund and still think that, but for the people who love Ryan O'Reilly, he is a very similar player. I do believe there will be a limit on his offencive capacity, but getting a 3rd line ROR is definitely a solid player.

Last edited:

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

Are we expecting Barron to be signed? How close are we to 50 contracts at the moment?

Alright...

Been watching practically the entire Hockey East tourney and got some reports. First off, let me say that in regards to Bowers and Tkachuk comparisons and all that jazz, Brady is definitely a level higher than Shane. If I was going to compare the two personally, Tkachuk has more individual talent while Bowers has strengths mostly geared towards the team. Ultimately, individual talent is more relevant and no doubt in my mind Tkachuk will be the better player in the future. I suggest that when it comes to numbers being relatively close, Bowers get much softer minutes being played on BU's 3rd line while Brady is on the first line with Jordan Greenway and I believe Cloonan. I am not trying to make Bowers look negative here, just trying to be a realistic, so next year will be a more telling season for Shane in how much potential he has with more important minutes.

Tkachuk is a complete tank and in terms of throwball, he is built like a TE. Being just 18 years old is quite remarkable how tough and strong he already is. I doubt we get Tkachuk due to how brutal Senators are, but if they finish around 6th or 7th, picturing a line of Greer - Tkachuk - Morrison would be bullshark-testosterone-drool-worthy. Brady does suffer from some bad skating though, definitely cannot showcase his skill set while trying to smash his way through defenders on the forecheck (Matthew is much more mobile of a player and is more of a havoc because of that).

Bowers on the other hand is a very powerful skater and will absolutely fit into Avs style. Additionally, Shane is an EXTREMELY determined player and wants to do as much as possible to contribute in teamwork. He's that type of guy who works so hard that it rubs off on other players, as those guys do not want to look less lazy than he does. He also possesses a good range of IQ always making the smart plays' with the puck, but his other offencive tools are still a work in progress. His defencive game is as good as advertised and should become the second best two-way forward on the Avs after Landeskog if he keeps developing. I mentioned in the past that he reminds me of Backlund and still think that, but for the people who love Ryan O'Reilly, he is a very similar player. I do believe there will be a limit on his offencive capacity, but getting a 3rd line ROR is definitely a solid player.

Would love to get Tkachuk. Way rather have him here than end up somewhere else in the West. He’s personally my pipe dream for the Sens’ pick - one of the few players that really stood out to me at the WJC this year.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Tkachuk is a beast. I think he has a little more puck skills than his brother, who is more of a shooter than a stickhandler. I've never really heard his skating called into question before, although it's hard to tell for me with how active and aggressive he always is out there.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Sorry if this is the wrong thread, or if it's been referenced already.

I'm listening to the latest 31 Thoughts podcast and Marek just shared some info he got from Patrick Roy, who was dead-set against drafting Conner Bleackley in 2014. He was pushing for them to draft based on need and get a defenseman. Avs brass at the time overruled him and got what they thought was the Best Player Available. Whoops.

This is not new information, we knew Roy was not happy at all about that draft (rightfully so), but to hear it directly like that is still interesting to me at least.

And don't look at the players taken immediately after Bleackley in that draft, save yourself the trouble.

Wonder who Roy would've wanted, not exactly the most stellar group of D available.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Are we expecting Barron to be signed? How close are we to 50 contracts at the moment?

Would love to get Tkachuk. Way rather have him here than end up somewhere else in the West. He’s personally my pipe dream for the Sens’ pick - one of the few players that really stood out to me at the WJC this year.
I REALLY hope we sign Barron, has all the traits you want for being a rough yet capable bottom 6 player. I like him because he knows what will get him to the NHL, but he definitely isn't the most talented bottom 6 prospect if you compare to other teams' (so maybe Avs pass?).

I still believe that Brady is more talented of the two brothers; his puck skills and stickhandling blow Matthew's out of the water. Nonetheless, as I mentioned Matthew is much more flexible, mobile, and roving (looking for trouble) type of player. Because of that, Matt's game better resemblances what you want in the NHL than Brady's currently. Brady is more about staying on his flank, getting the puck low, and starting to grind it out. Brady, with some improved skating should become the better 1v1 player once he gets his straight line speed faster and more powerful.

Tkachuk is a beast. I think he has a little more puck skills than his brother, who is more of a shooter than a stickhandler. I've never really heard his skating called into question before, although it's hard to tell for me with how active and aggressive he always is out there.
His skating didn't look too bad at the WJC because there is a capped level of talent due to the restrictions of the age group. Watching him in Hockey East though, especially against Bowers, he is a level or two behind. It could be one of the reasons why people think Tkachuk is unimpressive when it comes to the 2018 draft. He can't really play the game he wants while not being able to get around older more developed NCAA defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->