Waived: 2017-18 Ongoing Waivers Thread

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Both kinda interesting names.
Pickard because most believe he can be an NHL backup, and the Subban claim obviously pushed him out.

And Marincin (I think he'll go unclaimed, but) is still a decent #7 guy, imo. What is more interesting is that he is currently our spare, which means if he gets claimed or sent down, he needs to be replaced - but what value is there in scratching someone like Rosen or Liljegren as the #7 when they could be playing full minutes in the AHL.

Most Leafs fans' understanding was Marincin made the team because it wouldn't hurt his "development" nearly as much as any other D, to sit in the press box as a spare.

Maybe if Marincin is claimed, Polak will get a phone call again?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Maybe if Marincin is claimed, Polak will get a phone call again?

That makes a lot of sense. Actually, even if he doesn't get claimed it makes sense.

Polak probably goes in an Carrick or the Swede to the press box. They both looked terrible yesterday (despite Anderson bailing them out).

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
That makes a lot of sense. Actually, even if he doesn't get claimed it makes sense.

Polak probably goes in an Carrick or the Swede to the press box. They both looked terrible yesterday (despite Anderson bailing them out).
Polak was still in pain while skating during the preseason and Lou said they won't be signing (of course, the latter doesn't necessarily mean anything, GMs lie like that all time)

And Borgman had a pretty solid game yesterday imo. Certainly not bad enough to be scratched after 1 NHL game.

What I'm thinking is Marincin to the AHL doesn't make a lot of sense, bc we're really using that as a developmental league, and he would just crowd the roster. Either he gets claimed, or he clears and just stays as the spare but they gave him that chance, or he clears and there is a trade set up for a team that wants to be able to send him to the minors.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

Borgman looked really good, and Carrick played much better than he did last year.

Not sure if you watched anymore than the first ~10ish minutes.

Polak would be a perfect fit for the press box... much better than Marincin

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Polak was still in pain while skating during the preseason and Lou said they won't be signing (of course, the latter doesn't necessarily mean anything, GMs lie like that all time)

And Borgman had a pretty solid game yesterday imo. Certainly not bad enough to be scratched after 1 NHL game.

What I'm thinking is Marincin to the AHL doesn't make a lot of sense, bc we're really using that as a developmental league, and he would just crowd the roster. Either he gets claimed, or he clears and just stays as the spare but they gave him that chance, or he clears and there is a trade set up for a team that wants to be able to send him to the minors.

This, IMO, is the most likely scenario. Doing a favour for Marincin and seeing if there are any teams interested in having him play. If not, he just stays as the spare d-man.

Reactions: uncleben85

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Must have not found a taker on Pickard and clearly see more NHL upside in Subban even if Pickard > Subban right now.

I would guess it's less about Pickard vs Subban on the ice and more about which one they thought was likely to clear waivers.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Marincin's analytic's still are pretty decent, which teams have an analytic bias and need a d-man? I'm fairly confident there aren't 30 number 7 d-men in the league that are better than him.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Marincin's analytic's still are pretty decent, which teams have an analytic bias and need a d-man? I'm fairly confident there aren't 30 number 7 d-men in the league that are better than him.
the Leafs have an analytics pundit in a big role (Kyle Dubas) which is probably why we ended up with Marincin in the first place. His advanced stats are always good, the eye test tells a really different story

RealRockNRolla

Oct 5, 2017
Not going to lose sleep over us waivering Marincin, I feel as though Borgman has slotted in nicely and will provide far greater upside over the course of the season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
the Leafs have an analytics pundit in a big role (Kyle Dubas) which is probably why we ended up with Marincin in the first place. His advanced stats are always good, the eye test tells a really different story

In the case of marincin advanced stats just straight up lie

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
In the case of marincin advanced stats just straight up lie

Not really.

He's always had the same problem. He's solid at defending at the blue line, so he usually has decent possession metrics, but if you get the puck behind him and into the zone, it usually ended up the in net since he was absolutely clueless at defending in zone.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Not really.

He's always had the same problem. He's solid at defending at the blue line, so he usually has decent possession metrics, but if you get the puck behind him and into the zone, it usually ended up the in net since he was absolutely clueless at defending in zone.

It's not even so much that he's clueless in his own zone. He just doesn't read the game well period. That and lack of willingness to take the body mean he's not good in his own zone. He's a good skater and has a good stick though which makes him look decent in transition

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
wish that was a rare occurrence, he's just not very good. I guess he's fine as a mid-season fill in on a team that isn't playing critical games to eat minutes, but he's not a guy you want on the ice when it matters

He literally is just too big for his own good I think. It helps him out around the blue line as one poster mentioned with his long reach but when he has to play someone on the pivot or anything it's like he forgets how to operate his legs

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He literally is just too big for his own good I think. It helps him out around the blue line as one poster mentioned with his long reach but when he has to play someone on the pivot or anything it's like he forgets how to operate his legs

he's a baby deer on a frozen pond for sure. And for as tall as he is, he's very light so he doesn't throw anyone around

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Posts like this are why it's so hard to take you seriously. Borgman played bad? What game were you watching?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm not a huge fan of his, and never really was, but I always thought he looked fine 80% of the time. The problem was the other 20% where he would make some horrendous plays. Big ole' pizza pies right up the middle. Just awful decision making. If Marincin ever figures out how to simplify his game he could turn into a solid 3rd pairing D.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
At 700,00 annually he is a reasonably priced spare defenseman. However, as Man Bear Pig mentions, he has some consistency issues.

Does anyone know if he's on a one way or two way contract?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
At 700,00 annually he is a reasonably priced spare defenseman. However, as Man Bear Pig mentions, he has some consistency issues.

Does anyone know if he's on a one way or two way contract?

Marincin has a 1.25M cap hit. He's in the final year. It's 1-way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad