Waived: 2017-18 Ongoing Waivers Thread

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

Condra had offseason surgery and is apparently healed up. I think he's already been named captain of Tampa's AHL team, if I'm not mistaken, so it's clear he's headed to the AHL.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I'm finding the tables hard to keep updated, especially slow with my ancient laptop, so, at least for the time being, I've edited the first post into a more straightforward list. It's not as easy on the eyes, and you have to scroll to get to the newest players (I wonder if I should re-order it from most recent to least...) but, in theory, it should allow me to keep the first post much more up-to-date. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: uncleben85

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Looks like Ottawa claims Dumont away from Lightning. Dumont was set to head down to Syracuse and was put on waivers after not getting much play time with the big boy club.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Have to think Läck is over in the NHL. He looked pretty good in Vancouver, don't know what happened after that. KHL or NLA?

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Have to think Läck is over in the NHL. He looked pretty good in Vancouver, don't know what happened after that. KHL or NLA?

It might be temporary. The Flames will need another starter for a back-to-back and both their AHL goalies have played decently.

More importantly, the AHL goalies have faced lots of shots. Part of the issue for Lack I think is that he just doesn’t play. Yeah he’s been bad but he’s only played 1 full game so far this year. It’s hard to expect much out of a backup who just sits on the bench.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
According to Friedman Megna (He gets the name wrong in his tweet) and Lack clear. Didomenico is claimed and LA's Brooks Laich is on waivers.

Link: Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) | Twitter
And claimed by TBL :laugh:

Tampa: No room for Dumont. He just won't cut it on the roster. Waived!
Ottawa: Oh man, Dumont! We could totally use him. Makes DiDomenico expendable too! Let's waive him!
Tampa: Oh man, DiDomenico! Exactly what we need

(I know, I know, much more goes into it than that. Just thought it was a humourous exchange of events)

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
And claimed by TBL :laugh:

Tampa: No room for Dumont. He just won't cut it on the roster. Waived!
Ottawa: Oh man, Dumont! We could totally use him. Makes DiDomenico expendable too! Let's waive him!
Tampa: Oh man, DiDomenico! Exactly what we need

(I know, I know, much more goes into it than that. Just thought it was a humourous exchange of events)
It's also an expensive trade. Wouldn't it be cheaper (By avoiding waiver fees) to just make a frickin trade without all the waiver moves in between?

Last edited:

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
It's also an expensive trade. Wouldn't it be cheaper (By avoiding waiver fees) to just make a frickin trade without all the waiver moves in between?

Waiver fees are paid to the player-losing club, not to a third party. So if the waiver fees for these two players were equal, neither team is out any money at all. If the waiver fees are unequal, perhaps it was actually preferable to one club to accept the difference in waiver fees rather than even up a trade with a paltry draft pick. By my best guess (I'm no pro on the intricacies of the CBA), Dumont's fee was $13,125 and DiDo's was $41,250. It would have been preferable for Ottawa to swap these players via waivers and save ~$28k. And perhaps preferable for Tampa to just give up that money difference than hand over a conditional draft pick that Ottawa would have demanded in trade in exchange for not getting the money.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Waiver fees are paid to the player-losing club, not to a third party. So if the waiver fees for these two players were equal, neither team is out any money at all. If the waiver fees are unequal, perhaps it was actually preferable to one club to accept the difference in waiver fees rather than even up a trade with a paltry draft pick. By my best guess (I'm no pro on the intricacies of the CBA), Dumont's fee was $13,125 and DiDo's was $41,250. It would have been preferable for Ottawa to swap these players via waivers and save ~$28k. And perhaps preferable for Tampa to just give up that money difference than hand over a conditional draft pick that Ottawa would have demanded in trade in exchange for not getting the money.
True. Thanks for the clarification too. My math isn't where it was 40 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad