2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The trading of first round picks to try to secure a playoff spot is what I think many lament.

2015, we had our sights set on Barzal... that one is going to sting a bit and linger for some time.

Probably, but those picks were going to be late, let's assume, bottom 15, that's generous, realistic was bottom 20,

In 2011, only player was Rickard Rackell picked 30th, I don't know of anyone that some him coming like that, we would have #19 OA

In 2013, it went to CBS in the Carter deal, would have been #27, so we missed out on possibly Ryan Hartman

In 2015, it went to BOS in the Lucic deal, would have been #13, highest there, and missed on Barzal, luckily so did SJ and Arizona etc,

In 2016, it went to CAR, would have been #21, missed out on a reach in DeBrincat for now...

So...while, yea, it stings, it's not as bad as the doom and gloom have made it out to be....

Reactions: SlimCharles

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Just so we're clear--you think this is the worst time in franchise history?

At what point did I say anything remotely like this?

You’re like a walking mid-term on logical fallacies. You hyperbolize the opposition’s argument to make yours sound more cogent. Then you accuse the opposition of “moving the goalposts.” Stahp.

I never said or insinuated the current team is the worst in franchise history. I said the team right now is in a terrible spot, and you apparently disagree. I think this team needs a comprehensive rebuild. The core is getting too old, and will be out of their primes by the time any recently or soon-to-be drafted help will arrive.

The team right now is nowhere near contention. They’re awful at home and against their own conference. They have major consistency issues. They’re just not that good, even if they do show some flashes of solid play from time to time. The 2012 and 2014 teams had all the underlying statistics in their favor leading up to their runs, and were heating up in March/April, not fighting for their playoff lives, losing critical games, etc.

The 2018 team IS NOT GOOD. That doesn’t mean they’re the worst in franchise history. They’re simply not that good. And their position in the standings reflects as much.

If by some miracle they both A. make the playoffs, and B. get out of the first round, I will gladly eat crow on this. But until that happens, the facts support everything I’m saying: they’re a bubble team with an aging core, and not many assets in the pipeline.

That’s a terrible place for a franchise to be.

Reactions: Vino and KINGS17

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
At what point did I say anything remotely like this?

You’re like a walking mid-term on logical fallacies. You hyperbolize the opposition’s argument to make yours sound more cogent. Then you accuse the opposition of “moving the goalposts.” Stahp.

I never said or insinuated the current team is the worst in franchise history. I said the team right now is in a terrible spot, and you apparently disagree. I think this team needs a comprehensive rebuild. The core is getting too old, and will be out of their primes by the time any recently or soon-to-be drafted help will arrive.

The team right now is nowhere near contention. They’re awful at home and against their own conference. They have major consistency issues. They’re just not that good, even if they do show some flashes of solid play from time to time. The 2012 and 2014 teams had all the underlying statistics in their favor leading up to their runs, and were heating up in March/April, not fighting for their playoff lives, losing critical games, etc.

The 2018 team IS NOT GOOD. That doesn’t mean they’re the worst in franchise history. They’re simply not that good. And their position in the standings reflects as much.

If by some miracle they both A. make the playoffs, and B. get out of the first round, I will gladly eat crow on this. But until that happens, the facts support everything I’m saying: they’re a bubble team with an aging core, and not many assets in the pipeline.

That’s a terrible place for a franchise to be.

If you're capable of thinking back more than two quotes, which I think you are, you'll understand this whole thing sprung from my initial assertion that "I think those years are why I react so strongly to "DL is terrible/the team is terrible" talk. We've all seen and experienced some **** around here." For some reason you were hell bent on talking about how crap the team is right now, when I was talking about the terrible, hopeless periods we've seen, and how good DL and the team have been by historical comparison. We can disagree that the team is in a terrible spot and that's fine, but historically, we've never had as good of a decade as Kings fans. That the team is in some godawful spot is certainly debatable, as evidenced by thousands of posts, but you're presenting it as some concrete fact. I do believe you when you say you'd happily eat crow though, unlike a few others.

And actually, you have it backwards--I hyperbolized your argument after you proved you were going to keep moving the goalposts. I didn't need to make mine more cogent, but yours was a slothful induction. I don't give a f*** if this team isn't a "true contender" in your eyes, that's not something I ever set out to prove. I just said this franchise was a joke for 40 years, and you had some hair up your ass that made you 'well, actually' me for 4 posts or so while you talked about good teams vs. playoff teams. vs. true contenders when I literally just started with "this team isn't terrible." There was zero reason to be so combative, but I guess the 'tear it down' folks can't even accept "not terrible" as a description of this team without getting out the hatchets. Jesus.

Why does it piss so many posters off that some of us just want to enjoy the team as is? I don't give a rats ass how terrible this team might be 3 years from now, I want to watch Kings legends and future jersey retirees like Drew Doughty, Anze Kopitar, and Jonathan Quick play fantastic hockey. Based on our moves during the Cup years, we were supposed to be a basement dweller by now...yet here we are, in the thick of the playoff race, being a pain in the ass. Some nights, it's absolutely maddening, but based on the hopeless hockey of yesteryear that I couldn't even bring myself to watch for stretches of 10 games at a time, these are the golden years. That's it.

Last edited:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
If you're capable of thinking back more than two quotes, which I think you are, you'll understand this whole thing sprung from my initial assertion that "I think those years are why I react so strongly to "DL is terrible/the team is terrible" talk. We've all seen and experienced some **** around here." For some reason you were hell bent on talking about how crap the team is right now, when I was talking about the terrible, hopeless periods we've seen, and how good DL and the team have been by historical comparison. We can disagree that the team is in a terrible spot and that's fine, but historically, we've never had as good of a decade as Kings fans. That the team is in some godawful spot is certainly debatable, as evidenced by thousands of posts, but you're presenting it as some concrete fact. I do believe you when you say you'd happily eat crow though, unlike a few others.

And actually, you have it backwards--I hyperbolized your argument after you proved you were going to keep moving the goalposts. I didn't need to make mine more cogent, but yours was a slothful induction. I don't give a **** if this team isn't a "true contender" in your eyes, that's not something I ever set out to prove. I just said this franchise was a joke for 40 years, and you had some hair up your ass that made you 'well, actually' me for 4 posts or so while you talked about good teams vs. playoff teams. vs. true contenders when I literally just started with "this team isn't terrible." There was zero reason to be so combative, but I guess the 'tear it down' folks can't even accept "not terrible" as a description of this team without getting out the hatchets. Jesus.

Why does it piss so many posters off that some of us just want to enjoy the team as is? I don't give a rats ass how terrible this team might be 3 years from now, I want to watch Kings legends and future jersey retirees like Drew Doughty, Anze Kopitar, and Jonathan Quick play fantastic hockey. Based on our moves during the Cup years, we were supposed to be a basement dweller by now...yet here we are, in the thick of the playoff race, being a pain in the ass. Some nights, it's absolutely maddening, but based on the hopeless hockey of yesteryear that I couldn't even bring myself to watch for stretches of 10 games at a time, these are the golden years. That's it.

We’re just at different emotional thresholds with this team, I guess. I haven’t been able to force myself to watch a lot of games the past two years. I get frustrated and turn off the TV. Every time I watch this current team, I’m reminded of how good they were 4-5 years ago, and it makes me depressed.

If anything, I’m more frustrated with the team now than I was in 2007. At least in 2007, they had direction. Now, the plan seems to be, “race against Kopitar’s biological ticking clock by retooling on the fly and hopefully catching lightning in a bottle for one more run before we’re buried in cap hell and past their prime core players ala Detroit in 2015.”

I don’t see the current team much differently than I do the 2000 era Kings. Some promising talent, some fan favorites, capable of maybe making the playoffs/maybe winning one round. But ultimately rudderless and far away from true contention.

I respect your opinion and your willingness to stay positive. And I haven’t had slothful induction called on me since grad school, so kudos there. :-p

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We’re just at different emotional thresholds with this team, I guess. I haven’t been able to force myself to watch a lot of games the past two years. I get frustrated and turn off the TV. Every time I watch this current team, I’m reminded of how good they were 4-5 years ago, and it makes me depressed.

If anything, I’m more frustrated with the team now than I was in 2007. At least in 2007, they had direction. Now, the plan seems to be, “race against Kopitar’s biological ticking clock by retooling on the fly and hopefully catching lightning in a bottle for one more run before we’re buried in cap hell and past their prime core players ala Detroit in 2015.”

I don’t see the current team much differently than I do the 2000 era Kings. Some promising talent, some fan favorites, capable of maybe making the playoffs/maybe winning one round. But ultimately rudderless and far away from true contention.

I respect your opinion and your willingness to stay positive. And I haven’t had slothful induction called on me since grad school, so kudos there. :-p

That was me in the 2000s, I think. After we started losing guys to injuries forever and hope was lost, I just stopped watching for 20 games at a time. After taking down Detroit and taking Colorado to the brink, we fell apart. For me at least, now, we have the right guys here to an extent--they've won. Will they get there again? Likely not. But that's enough for me to know the magic stuff exists here, and I admire them so much for having done that that so long as they're hanging around I'm happy. The change in administration buys them some time with me. And I understand that I'm likely in the minority being optimistic at this point but I watched so many players play so differently this year that it's encouraging to me that a Carterless LA squad hung on this long. Now if it's like last year when Quick came back and we dropped a steaming turd at center ice? I'll be more upset. I don't begrudge anyone for having a different opinion on where this franchise is at this point, that's why we've had so many discussions for so long, and most of them have been really good.

P.S. I also have a grad degree in rhetoric so I had to see if that button worked :P

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Man do I miss Ziggy. Found this old article written up about him from 2000-2001.

ESPNMAG.com - The Zen of Ziggy
During games, this generally quiet man becomes a ranting loon. "He's always screaming at the other team and the refs," Robitaille says. "Half Slovakian, half English. None of us can tell what he's saying. He's swearing and screaming. It's funny. He'll scream at the puck and the ice, too. I'll look at him and start laughing. Then he starts laughing back."

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront

The biggest difference is we already have 2 Cups. In 2007, it was all a pipe dream. So give yourself a little break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad