2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I miss Palffy so much. I was so blessed to watch him as a King. He was injured so often, but when he wasn't, he was above everyone else. He is one of my favorite Kings player of all time.

I f***ing hated that we lost him to Pittsburgh. But such is life. Palffy had immense talent. Just no durability sadly.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
We haven’t had a player with the pure skill Ziggy had, since he left. He’s my favorite King followed by Kopi.

Kopitar and Doughty are definitely up there.

I remember watching Kopitar skate around Chris Pronger like a pylon in his rookie year and thinking “wow we may finally have someone as good as Ziggy.”

Reactions: ibleedkings

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Kopitar and Doughty are definitely up there.

I remember watching Kopitar skate around Chris Pronger like a pylon in his rookie year and thinking “wow we may finally have someone as good as Ziggy.”

That was Kopi's very first game...and might have been his first shift.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think you aren't remembering things accurately.

Kings' defensive lineup taking shape; Doughty-O'Donnell still No. 1 pairing

Camp thoughts

Young guns

O’Donnell impressed with Doughty

Defensemen analysis

Let me know if you find any single shred of evidence that showed Hickey outperformed Doughty at the 2008 training camp, because I believe what you are stating is pure fiction.
Mia Culpa, you were correct for once Dusty lol
For some goddamn reason i had confused the Muzzin vs Hickey camp battle with DD... During DD's camp TH was recovering from his ankle injury, so there it is.. speak of this again and i shall have to snuff you!! :sarcasm:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I miss Palffy so much. I was so blessed to watch him as a King. He was injured so often, but when he wasn't, he was above everyone else. He is one of my favorite Kings player of all time.

I ****ing hated that we lost him to Pittsburgh. But such is life. Palffy had immense talent. Just no durability sadly.

He had that great against the flow shot, looking one way and shooting it the other. Lots of current players use that shot now, especially with the new stick tech.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Guess should bring this here rather than the GDT thread,

I think the Kings can roll a really really good top nine next year,

Iafallo, Kopitar, Brown
Kempe, Carter. Amadio or Toffoli, or FA
Pearson, FA, Amadio, Toffoli etc,

FA targets, that might fit that, didn't do any cap research etc,

Bozak from Toronto would be a solid pickup imo,
Athaniasu from Detroit would be a pickup UFA at 23, long term gain there
Mark Stone from Ottawa, UFA at 25, nice pickup
Nail Yakupov, I dunno if I give him a shot, but if he's cheap, etc, again, looking at a top nine position wouldn't be disastrous as say, Jordan Nolan lol

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I like

Iafallo - Kopi - Brown
Pearson - Carter - Toffoli
Kempe - Vilardi/Amadio - Vilardi/Amadio

Switching Iafallo with Kempe in this lineup would be intriguing, but there's too many question marks with Vilardi and Amadio to put AI on that line in the beginning of the season. Once Gabe and Amadio get going, maybe send up Kempe and bring down AI.

I think Vilardi is going to be a stud out the gate. Not as productive as a Laine, but a great all around player. Lots of Kopi and Drai comps. He won't be that good right away, or perhaps ever, but I think he'll make a great third liner his rookie year. Real curious to see his skating. His puck possession is elite, so that should counter some skating deficiencies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I like

Iafallo - Kopi - Brown
Pearson - Carter - Toffoli
Kempe - Vilardi/Amadio - Vilardi/Amadio

Switching Iafallo with Kempe in this lineup would be intriguing, but there's too many question marks with Vilardi and Amadio to put AI on that line in the beginning of the season. Once Gabe and Amadio get going, maybe send up Kempe and bring down AI.

I think Vilardi is going to be a stud out the gate. Not as productive as a Laine, but a great all around player. Lots of Kopi and Drai comps. He won't be that good right away, or perhaps ever, but I think he'll make a great third liner his rookie year. Real curious to see his skating. His puck possession is elite, so that should counter some skating deficiencies.

Maybe, but that 3rd line with Vilardi and Amadio, if you run it that way, HAS to have a defensive maniac, maybe Torrey Mitchell etc, you can't run three kids out there if they arent absolutely solid defensively, I think all three have the chance, but aren't there yet, that's a dangerous game to play in the West etc,

You want a solid top nine, and while I think Vilardi and Amadio will play a part, I'm just not convinced they are there yet next year.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Maybe, but that 3rd line with Vilardi and Amadio, if you run it that way, HAS to have a defensive maniac, maybe Torrey Mitchell etc, you can't run three kids out there if they arent absolutely solid defensively, I think all three have the chance, but aren't there yet, that's a dangerous game to play in the West etc,

You want a solid top nine, and while I think Vilardi and Amadio will play a part, I'm just not convinced they are there yet next year.
I don't see Vilardi playing on the fourth line. He's too good a prospect to play there. Maybe I'm overhyping him, but I expect him to be in the Calder race. There's no way he isn't in the top 9 for me. Kempe is already there. And Amadio has to get his chance. He's flashed enough to have earned a right for shot at that third line.

I understand what you're saying, tho.

Maybe send down Tanner to the third for that grit/motor, yet not sacrificing production?

AI - Kopi - Brown
Kempe - Carter - Toff
Pearson - Vilardi/Amadio - Vilardi/Amadio

If Amadio is a hit (I think it hinges so much on him, as well as Iafallo's continued development), that's a very solid top 9, imo

Reactions: regulate

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Mitchell won't be on this team next season. He could always play Lewis on the 3rd line RW, although playing Amadio on the 4th line is a waste of his talent. Good problems to have.

Reactions: KingTrouty

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Mitchell won't be on this team next season. He could always play Lewis on the 3rd line RW, although playing Amadio on the 4th line is a waste of his talent. Good problems to have.

x(FA) - Thompson - Lewis would be a decent fourth with the LW added in FA. We should have enough cap to grab a great fourth line LW. Thompson has had his moments, but he's still a nice 4th line C for us. And he'd have a full year to gel with the team. If we can hit on a FA with a little playmaking ability to compliment Lewis, yet not be a liability in our zone, that would be sweet

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think Vilardi gets used next year like Iafallo, Kempe, Amadio this year--a little bit in and out of the lineup to develop and get used to the rigors of the pro game.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I think Vilardi gets used next year like Iafallo, Kempe, Amadio this year--a little bit in and out of the lineup to develop and get used to the rigors of the pro game.
I hope not. I hope he comes in and kills it and is a mainstay. Every indication is that he is a blue chip prospect, right? Based off of his play now, rather than projection (like a Kempe). He's butt f***ing the OHL.

Maybe the length of the season will be a factor. Here's to hoping he focuses a good bit on endurance training this offseason.

Reactions: Sol

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I could see Vilardi possibly seeing some time on Carter's wing, combining the speedy veteran who has a strong overall game with a rookie, which is essentially what they did in the past when they paired Toffoli with Carter.

Assuming they don't make additions from free agency or trade and promote from within, I could see the following lineup as an option to start the year, or at least something to try in training camp and preseason games.

Brown-Kopitar-Toffoli
Pearson-Carter-Vilardi
Iafallo-Amadio-Kempe
Clifford/Rieder-Thompson-Lewis/Brodzinski

I think Kempe using his speed down his off-wing can be greatly utilized on rushes, and Iafallo and Amadio are both smart with the puck and I still see them having a ceiling to reach.

That could be the 14 guys likely to start with the team next season. Then again, they could also let Rieder walk as a UFA because I fail to see what justifies him getting paid anywhere close to $2M. I'd rather have Clifford in the lineup over him.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I could see Vilardi possibly seeing some time on Carter's wing, combining the speedy veteran who has a strong overall game with a rookie, which is essentially what they did in the past when they paired Toffoli with Carter.

Assuming they don't make additions from free agency or trade and promote from within, I could see the following lineup as an option to start the year, or at least something to try in training camp and preseason games.

Brown-Kopitar-Toffoli
Pearson-Carter-Vilardi
Iafallo-Amadio-Kempe
Clifford/Rieder-Thompson-Lewis/Brodzinski

I think Kempe using his speed down his off-wing can be greatly utilized on rushes, and Iafallo and Amadio are both smart with the puck and I still see them having a ceiling to reach.

That could be the 14 guys likely to start with the team next season. Then again, they could also let Rieder walk as a UFA because I fail to see what justifies him getting paid anywhere close to $2M. I'd rather have Clifford in the lineup over him.
Lewis - Thompson - Brodzinski

Clifford - free agent

Decent?

Scoring touch and only Brodz is a liability in our end. Brodzinski should be higher up, in the top 9, too. Lots of depth

All of our lineup scenarios are dependent on Amadio :)

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think Vilardi needs more than 32 games this year to justfiy his jump from the OHL into the NHL, it's an absolute HUGE GAP in speed

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think Vilardi needs more than 32 games this year to justfiy his jump from the OHL into the NHL, it's an absolute HUGE GAP in speed
I'm not saying he's the next Kopitar, but a lot of players of his caliber don't seem to be bothered by it in fact I think it'd be smarter to get him in some games and get the ball rolling because he's not an AHL player. Kopitar made the team right off the bat and did great. I think Vilardi will have similar results

Reactions: KingTrouty

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm not saying he's the next Kopitar, but a lot of players of his caliber don't seem to be bothered by it in fact I think it'd be smarter to get him in some games and get the ball rolling because he's not an AHL player. Kopitar made the team right off the bat and did great. I think Vilardi will have similar results

Kopitar also had a full year in the Swedish Elite League, itself a faster league than the OHL.

It's a tough call because you can't use him in the AHL, I just don't know if it's justified in possibly ruining his confidence, by making him a spare....if he's not ready for it.

There aren't many players that can make the OHL - NHL Jump, without putting in time in the minors, not saying it can't be done, I just don't know if he's the one to do it.

49 OHL games last year, 32 OHL games this year, that's telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->