2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
God damn. Looking at the standings and thinking about these last two ****ty Saturday games, the Kings should be second in the Pacific right now. Instead they don't even have a playoff spot. Nobody wants it, so sad. San Jose, Anaheim, LA, Calgary... It's a battle of who chokes last.

The good news is a win on Monday and they're in 2nd place and also 2nd wild card. My money's on the Flames to be the odd team out. Not even Mike Smith will help them. The Kings have 2 games in hand on them plus, they're worse at home than we are.

Reactions: go4hockey

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
srsly? You're giving me grief because I'd like to see a great regular season once in a while?? Not stressing (quite as much) about getting the #8 spot? really? :huh:

LOL

Sorry dude, just being sarcastic. :laugh:
But yeah I agree , winning a division title would look nice next to the other banners. Too bad we had a coach who didn't realize that if you win the division, you also make the playoffs and not face a very motivated SJ team.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Looks like Mike Futa politely said f-right-off to the Carolina GM job.

i was genuinely nervous about that.. futa is due to be a GM and i think a lot of guys jump on the opportunity. maybe he's not very impressed by their new owner.

everything i've read about futa says that he's a real good dude and really loyal to the kings clearly. hope they recognize that.

Reactions: KingTrouty

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Ferraro got to free agency, signed with the Rangers for a shot at the Cup, they trade him, and they ended that year with the 5th best overall record. He was not a fan of the deal.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Ferraro got to free agency, signed with the Rangers for a shot at the Cup, they trade him, and they ended that year with the 5th best overall record. He was not a fan of the deal.

He did meet his eventual wife though after joining the Kings, as he married Cammi Granato, who happened to be doing color commentary on radio alongside Nick Nickson when Ferraro joined the team.

You are right though that he was miffed to be joining a rebuilding team.
HOCKEY;Rangers Trade for Kurri and McSorley

Of the departing Rangers, the impact may be greatest on Ferraro. He joined the team last summer as a free agent from the Islanders. Colin Campbell, the coach, said Ferraro's reaction was "not good" to the news.

"He takes it very personally," Campbell said. "He has two young kids. He's a good family man. It's not easy. He was ready to chase a Stanley Cup. It was hard for Ray."

Ferraro was mentioned in trade rumors all season. On Wednesday night, after scoring his 25th goal of the season in a 3-3 tie with Florida, Ferraro said he wasn't going to worry any more about trade rumors.

"I haven't given it one second of thought," Ferraro said. "I could really care less. I'm going to play and play hard. I said before I don't want to go anywhere and I still don't want to go anywhere. Nobody else does either."

It isn't certain if Ferraro will report willingly to Los Angeles in time for the Kings' next game, tomorrow night at home against Edmonton.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Kings Continue to Clean House
Ferraro, 31, seemed to think the same way when his name had been mentioned earlier in the Gretzky trade rumors. He joined the Rangers as a free agent last summer from the Islanders in an attempt to make a Cup run, and was adamant in wanting to stay. Though the Kings said he was enthused, Ranger Coach Colin Campbell was asked how Ferraro took the news. "Not good," Campbell said.

ESPN radio said Ferraro may not report, but Ferraro made no such statement in an interview with Newsday. "I'm disappointed," he said. "I really thought we had a chance to do well, but that's none of my business now."

Ferraro, who is making $1.6 million this season and has two years remaining on his contract, took a parting shot at the Rangers. "If any other free agent asked what I think, I would tell him to explore his possibilities before he came here," he said.

And here's a fun inclusion at the end of that article...

A look at where key members of the Kings' 1992-93 Stanley Cup Final team ended up in following seasons:

* Rob Blake: Still with team, not on active roster.
* Pat Conacher: Traded to Calgary on Feb. 1 for Craig Ferguson.
* Mike Donnelly: Traded to Dallas on Feb. 15, 1995, for a 1996 draft choice.
* Tony Granato: Still with team, not on active roster.
* Wayne Gretzky: Traded to St. Louis Blues on Feb. 27 for Roman Vopat, Patrice Tardif, Craig Johnson and two draft picks.
* Kelly Hrudey: Still with team.
* Charlie Huddy: Traded to Buffalo with Alexei Zhitnik, Robb Stauber and a 1995 draft choice on Feb. 14, 1995, for Philippe Boucher, Denis Tsygurov and Grant Fuhr.
* Jari Kurri: Traded to New York Rangers with Marty McSorley and Shane Churla on March 14 for Ray Ferraro, Ian Laperriere, Nathan Lafayette and Mattias Norstrom.
* Lonnie Loach: Taken by the Mighy Ducks in expansion draft on June 24, 1993.
* Marty McSorley: Traded to New York Rangers with Jari Kurri and Shane Churla on March 14 for Ray Ferraro, Ian Laperriere, Nathan Lafayette and Mattias Norstrom. McSorley was also traded to Pittsburgh on Aug. 27, 1993, for Shawn McEachern.
* Corey Millen: Traded to New Jersey on June 26, 1993, for a 1993 draft pick.
* Luc Robitaille: Traded to Pittsburgh on July 29, 1994, for Rick Tocchet and a draft choice.
* Warren Rychel: Traded to Washington on Feb. 10, 1995, for Randy Burridge.
* Tomas Sandstrom: Traded to Pittsburgh with Shawn McEachern on Feb. 16, 1994, for Marty McSorley and Jim Paek.
* Darryl Sydor: Traded to Dallas with a 1996 draft pick on Feb. 17 for Doug Zmolek and Shane Churla.
* Alexei Zhitnik: Traded to Buffalo with Charlie Huddy, Robb Stauber and a 1995 draft choice on Feb. 14, 1995, for Philippe Boucher, Denis Tsygurov and Grant Fuhr.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
* Charlie Huddy: Traded to Buffalo with Alexei Zhitnik, Robb Stauber and a 1995 draft choice on Feb. 14, 1995, for Philippe Boucher, Denis Tsygurov and Grant Fuhr.

One of the all-time worst trades. Close to the Larry Murphy trade. While Boucher eventually became good, we even screwed that part up by letting him leave.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
"why draft Hickey 4th overall and wave him for nothing? Worst move ever!"

That was horrific asset management though from the initial pick to losing him for nothing.

Still remember a Kings fan banging the drum for Hickey in the WJC threads while Subban was getting all the praise. Kept saying something like how this tournament was built for hot dogging and is more conducive to Subban's game than Hickey.

Looks like the NHL is as well.

I wanted Voracek. Thought another big and skilled forward to go along with Kopitar would have been great. Regardless, butterfly effect and the Kings eventually got two Cups so I wouldn't change anything prior to the moment Dean decided to bring Richards back in June of '14.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And Alzner continues to play the way everyone expected, smart steady defense.

May wanna double check with MTL fans about that, Washington couldn't wait ot get rid of him at the end there, and MTL fans (and many others) already want to jettison him out of a cannon for being overpaid. Apparently his game has evaporated.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
May wanna double check with MTL fans about that, Washington couldn't wait ot get rid of him at the end there, and MTL fans (and many others) already want to jettison him out of a cannon for being overpaid. Apparently his game has evaporated.

If the Kings could've gotten 5-6 years of service then trade him or what ever, it still would've been better than waiving him like Hickey. DL first pick as GM with his staff and he struck out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad