2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kopitar also had a full year in the Swedish Elite League, itself a faster league than the OHL.

It's a tough call because you can't use him in the AHL, I just don't know if it's justified in possibly ruining his confidence, by making him a spare....if he's not ready for it.

There aren't many players that can make the OHL - NHL Jump, without putting in time in the minors, not saying it can't be done, I just don't know if he's the one to do it.

49 OHL games last year, 32 OHL games this year, that's telling.

Here's the thing, Vilardi is known for his play with the Puck and his hockey IQ..not his speed.. I don't think he will have an issue transferring that into the NHL. But I can be wrong. I just think it'd be smart to give him a shot asap so he can make an impact immediately to our aging core.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yes hopefully Vilardi will have a long playoffs but doubt those extra 36 regular games will make much of a difference.

Skill and IQ are there. He wont get faster by playing in the OHL next year. At one point he was ranked with Hischier and Nolan.

Reactions: KingTrouty and Sol

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Scouts already said Vilardi would be NHL-ready after this season in the OHL, while he was injured. All he did was prove to them that their assertion thus far is correct, by coming in and dominating once he was cleared to play

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I have seen Vilardi score in so many different ways. Dirty goals in the crease, slapshots, wristers, breakaways, deflections, wrap arounds...you name it.

His last 22nd goal of the season, around 1:48. Almost standing with his back to goal, rebound from the goalie and he is still able to control the puck and shoot it right away. Guaranteed, many NHL players wouldnt even notice the puck.

ontariohockeyleague.com/video-channels/highlights/mar-1618-nb-3-kgn-5

Reactions: KingTrouty

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Here's the thing, Vilardi is known for his play with the Puck and his hockey IQ..not his speed.. I don't think he will have an issue transferring that into the NHL. But I can be wrong. I just think it'd be smart to give him a shot asap so he can make an impact immediately to our aging core.

Hed have to play with the big boys much like Iafallo did. Can't stick him with guys like aa and Clifford and expect him to be successful, which you know damn well Stevens will do.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Even if he were to be in-and-out of the lineup as he gets acclimated to the pro game, it would still be better for his development to be up here, IMO.

Don't care if it burns a year off his ELC. I'd prefer him be up with the pro training staff, strength and conditioning guys etc...while learning from pros like Carter and Brown about how to be an NHL player.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Let's for the moment, assume that they will play Vilardi in the OHL,

As it's set up now,

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Carter - XXXX
Pearson - XXXX - Toffoli
Clifford - Thompson - Lewis

Doughty - Forbort
Martinez - Phaneuf
Muzzin - Folin (Ladue)

Quick
Campbell

That really isn't a bad starting lineup, holes to fill,

Question marks - Reider, Folin, LaDue, Gravel, Mitchell

Who do you bring back, I think you bring back Folin and LaDue, trade Gravel

Decide who you want to retain as far as Fantenberg, Mersch etc,

I think Amadio is in the mix somewhere, RW2 or C3, if you want to play him at C,

I would think you go after a Bozak type C like I mentioned, to round it out,

That's a solid lineup,

You have guys like Andreoff, Brodzinski, be fillers when needed etc,

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I hope not. I hope he comes in and kills it and is a mainstay. Every indication is that he is a blue chip prospect, right? Based off of his play now, rather than projection (like a Kempe). He's butt ****ing the OHL.

Maybe the length of the season will be a factor. Here's to hoping he focuses a good bit on endurance training this offseason.

I think you guys might be misreading my point but I think you got it here. We're talking about a kid suffering multiple injuries and shortened seasons. From year to year, he has played 31, 24, 68, 49, and 32 games. I'm just saying expecting him to come in and play 82 NHL games off the bat--a guy with a back injury, no less--against grown men at age 19 is asking a lot. That's why I referenced the other youngsters' usage--think of how Iafallo has needed to sit here and there to learn, rest, and refocus. That's all I'm saying. I'm uber-high on his abilities and think he will learn more in the NHL and with our dev staff than elsewhere. BigKing nailed it for me and frankly even if he only played 20-30 games he'd still be better served here than there at this point. He's already got a Mem. Cup and may be headed for another while being a dominant player. Nothing left to learn against kids.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there

As it's set up now,

Kempe - Carter - XXXX
Pearson - XXXX - Toffoli

Doughty - Forbort
Martinez - Phaneuf
Muzzin - Folin (Ladue)

Quick
Campbell

I think Amadio is in the mix somewhere, RW2 or C3, if you want to play him at C,

That's a solid lineup,

Vilardi and sign a free agent.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kempe - Carter - XXXX
Pearson - Amadio - Toffoli

Rieder has not impressed. Andreoff is the 13th forward. No one really in Ontario ready to step up. Kings need a RW. The only UFA names for next are Grabner, Stone at RW. There are a lot more options at LW, but Kings would have to move some guys around like Lewis.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Again

I don't think a 19 year old who never played a full season in the o can come in and be expected to play a full season in the toughest league there is

Why not? Iafallo never played an NHL game in his life, and look how successful he has been this season. And Iafallo does not have the skill set and talent that Vilardi has shown. I think this whole confidence issue is way overblown. I could understand if you don't want to expose a defenseman or goalie to0 early to the NHL because they might not be ready and can screw up tremendously, but that same rule does not apply as much to forwards.

The Kings can start Vilardi off on the third line with 8-10 minutes a game and see how he does. If he is acclimating well, which I anticipate he will, then you bump him up in the lineup and give him more minutes. I don't see Vilardi screwing up so bad in those limited minutes so as to justify not playing him in the NHL.

I also don't see how playing one more year in a league that he is dominating is any benefit to him. It's better for him to see how things are in the NHL, and get used to the higher intensity.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

As it's set up now,

Kempe - Carter - XXXX
Pearson - XXXX - Toffoli

Doughty - Forbort
Martinez - Phaneuf
Muzzin - Folin (Ladue)

Quick
Campbell

That's a solid lineup,

Basically the same lineup as this year. The only thing unique about this year vs. next year is that Blake/Stevens tried out numerous players in the lineup and filtered down the roster to the best options. I still think that we are lacking a top 6 left winger to play on Kopitar's line. That issue existed beginning of this season and still exists. I love Iafallo and he brings a lot to this team, but he is not a top 6 forward. He is perfect on on the third line.

On defense, I would like to keep Folin. I think he is perfect for the bottom pair. I would also like to give LaDue and Fantenberg additional opportunities. Gravel seems like the odd man out in my opinion.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Why not? Iafallo never played an NHL game in his life, and look how successful he has been this season. And Iafallo does not have the skill set and talent that Vilardi has shown. I think this whole confidence issue is way overblown. I could understand if you don't want to expose a defenseman or goalie to0 early to the NHL because they might not be ready and can screw up tremendously, but that same rule does not apply as much to forwards.

The Kings can start Vilardi off on the third line with 8-10 minutes a game and see how he does. If he is acclimating well, which I anticipate he will, then you bump him up in the lineup and give him more minutes. I don't see Vilardi screwing up so bad in those limited minutes so as to justify not playing him in the NHL.

I also don't see how playing one more year in a league that he is dominating is any benefit to him. It's better for him to see how things are in the NHL, and get used to the higher intensity.

Iafallo I believe, came from the college game, completely different than the OHL.

I think people are underestimating the differences of playing in the OHL vs playing in the NHL, and skipping the steps in between....while the fundamentals of the game itself are the same, the speed that you have to make those choices are drastically, drastically, different. It can't be said enough how different that is, and that's the #1 difference between the levels, CHL, ECHL, AHL, NHL etc.

Villardi needs to prove he can stay healthy over a full season...

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Basically the same lineup as this year. The only thing unique about this year vs. next year is that Blake/Stevens tried out numerous players in the lineup and filtered down the roster to the best options. I still think that we are lacking a top 6 left winger to play on Kopitar's line. That issue existed beginning of this season and still exists. I love Iafallo and he brings a lot to this team, but he is not a top 6 forward. He is perfect on on the third line.

On defense, I would like to keep Folin. I think he is perfect for the bottom pair. I would also like to give LaDue and Fantenberg additional opportunities. Gravel seems like the odd man out in my opinion.

Yes, but I think for what we have, and the cap space we are in, Iafallo is fine on the left side, he brings an energy and a forecheck that gets Kopitar the puck and space needed, it's a nice fit for the price.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Again

I don't think a 19 year old who never played a full season in the o can come in and be expected to play a full season in the toughest league there is

A 20 year old Barzal , Rantanen , and many others are dominating in the league this year. It's a youngins game nowadays , I actually expect Vilardi to score 60+ points in his first year whether that's next year or when he is 20.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Again

He's our best forward prospect since Kopitar. He'll be fine. He's already practiced with the black aces with NHL players for the Kings who where impressed with how heavy he was on the stick and his passing vision and puck control. Wasting his time and ours going down to the OHL unless he has a very poor camp, which is unlikely. All these scouts from multiple organizations and Kings staff can't be wrong, at least not very likely. I understand not wanting to rush guys, and many of the guys that put up big numbers in the CHL are just decent or okay prospects, but that is not going to be the case with this guy.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Most players struggle against Men.

Players like Kopitar are the exception not the rule. If you reworked Kopitar's draft he easily goes number 2 overall.

Reactions: KINGS17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad