2017-18 EFL Carabao Cup

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Chelsea starting lineup (3-4-3):
Caballero | Cahill (c), Christensen, Rudiger | Kenedy, Fabregas, Bakayoko, Zappacosta | Hazard, Batshuayi, Musonda Jr

Substitutes from: Eduardo, Clarke-Salter, Sterling, Ampadu, Moses, Willian, Morata

Should be a relative walk in the park. Some rotation, but the back-3 could reasonably start any level of competition, as would 3/4 of the midfield, and 2/3 of the front 3.

Excited to see what Musonda can do in his first start. Conte recently said he could see him in the future playing as a #10, winger, or wing-back.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Kane isn't a Drogba style striker, and what about Aguero? Jesus? Hazard? Sanchez? Those guys are also dominating the league. That's an excuse; Firmino's job isn't to score and he does his job better than pretty much anyone out there. We rely on a collective effort to score, and it's not like we aren't creating chances we just need to convert and stay healthy.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well both of those teams are built from the back. Liverpool....is not.

Also it appears that the Drogba style strikers are the ones dominating the league right now; Kane, Lukaku, etc.

Firmino, while a good tactical fit defensively, leaves much to be desired in the finishing department. Big guys that can overpower defenders is the current trend. Liverpool has no one that fits that bill. I don't know any available center forwards that fit that Liverpool can get to fit that role, but that may do wonders for they chance conversation. But I don't know that Klopp wants to drop Firmino either.

Defensively obviously he identified Virgil as a scheme fit which is great for the identity he wants to build, but again I refuse to believe Virgil is the only CB that can do that. Lovren and Klavan are train wrecks. Gomez is young. Matip isn't aggressive. It's an identity crisis back there and Klopp's loyalty to Lovren is hurting them tremendously.

That's my point though. Liverpool can easily integrate and successfully bring in attacking players like Mane and Salah, but struggle with defenders that aren't elite level. Chelsea and Tottenham are the opposite, they struggle with the attacking side of things when it comes to the non-elite level.

It's the reason why Liverpool were Van Dijk or bust because even a Rudiger level probably wouldn't have been that successful, even if they would've been better off, they still would've had massive problems with the position. Liverpool needs a truly high end defender otherwise they are just throwing 30 million out the window putting a Band-Aid on a wound that need stitches. Sure a Band-Aid is better that leaving the wound exposed, but it ultimately does nothing.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

Thots on Arsene playing Alexis 3 straight games?

He didn't start last game. So he's gotten plenty of rest.

And before people hype up about Reiss Nelson remember he came up through Arsenal's youth academy so he must be ****.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
United: Romero, Blind, Lindelöf, Smalling, Darmian, Carrick, Herrera, Lingard, Mata, Martial, Rashford

Subs: Pereira, Jones, Shaw, Young, McTominay, Fellaini, Lukaku

Somewhat stronger lineup than expected. Hopefully Shaw and McTominay get some minutes today.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also, kind of an aside to earlier, but if you think Can is going to fix things at the 6 just watch the Burnley goal. Arfield was his guy to follow through midfield and where was he? Arfield runs forward and Can is nowhere to be found to help with the defending.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Also, kind of an aside to earlier, but if you think Can is going to fix things at the 6 just watch the Burnley goal. Arfield was his guy to follow through midfield and where was he? Arfield runs forward and Can is nowhere to be found to help with the defending.

He still can. Defense also needs to learn when to push up, as Gomez kept a load of players onside there. Inexperience was definitely a factor.

Almost all of these are mental issues rather than physical. In theory that means they should be able to be solved. I also don't think Keane or Maguire would do anything for Liverpool because the defenders are so stranded. They need to sign defenders you'd be comfortable with in regular 1 v. 1 situations.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He still can. Defense also needs to learn when to push up, as Gomez kept a load of players onside there. Inexperience was definitely a factor.

Almost all of these are mental issues rather than physical. In theory that means they should be able to be solved. I also don't think Keane or Maguire would do anything for Liverpool because the defenders are so stranded. They need to sign defenders you'd be comfortable with in regular 1 v. 1 situations.

The problem is that Can has the footballing intelligence of a goldfish. When he's on the ball he's alright, though still too slow, and his technique and physicality are great. His positioning is generally **** which is why he has to take so many fouls (I think he was top 3 in fouls last season) and he's often ball watching rather than getting back to help on the defensive end, waiting for a chance to burst forward. I used to think the 6 would be the best position for him but it requires a much more tactically disciplined and intelligent footballer. He has all the attributes to be great there but not the brain.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hazard gives up an open goal for Bats, nice way to boost the confidence for a teammate who gets a brace.

Ampadu gets his Chelsea debut, 9th youngest Chelsea player in history.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
lol they just cant score when they are on together

Lol nvm I thought rashford was subbed off. But just saw the highlights

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Well that kinda sucks for the young keeper.

Darmian kinda ran into him and made holding the ball pretty tough and Burton get the goal with basically the last kick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad