2017-18 EFL Carabao Cup

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Not sure why Cahill is starting over Rudiger.. Rudiger brings much more with his passing and they're pretty similar defensively. Cahill has been fine since he came back.. He's not very good on the ball though.. Better suited for a 4 in the back formation

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Would Chelsea sell Cahill to Liverpool? I don't know if I am kidding or not.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Next round:

Spurs v West Ham
Bristol City v Crystal Palace
Swansea v Man Utd
Arsenal v Norwich City
Chelsea v Everton
Man City v Wolves
Leicester v Leeds United
Bournemouth v Middlesbrough

Another brutal draw for Liverpool.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Next round:

Spurs v West Ham
Bristol City v Crystal Palace
Swansea v Man Utd
Arsenal v Norwich City
Chelsea v Everton
Man City v Wolves
Leicester v Leeds United
Bournemouth v Middlesbroughl.

I think Spurs bow out here.

In 15 days time they play
Real Madrid (CL)
Liverpool
West Ham (Cup)
Man United
Real Madrid (CL)

I expect a squad of backups and third stringers against West Ham. Perhaps Ledley or Scottie Parker could suit up again.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I remember when people were making fun of Pogba for every mistake he made in his early days at United too.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I remember when people were making fun of Pogba for every mistake he made in his early days at United too.

It lasted the entire last season.

There were Spurs fans on here looking at goals totals to prove Alli was just as good if not better of a CM. Good times.

The Arsenal fanbase bitterness seems to have entirely focused on Liverpool, which is fun to watch as a neutral.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It lasted the entire last season.

There were Spurs fans on here looking at goals totals to prove Alli was just as good if not better of a CM. Good times.

The Arsenal fanbase bitterness seems to have entirely focused on Liverpool, which is fun to watch as a neutral.

All over a player they supposedly didn't rate or want anyway.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
FA Cup is more or less the same competition. The same teams are involved. It all depends on who you draw.

The big teams generally don't care about the Carabao Cup and will play their rotational/youth players throughout. The FA Cup typically has more of the typical starting 11 playing.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The big teams generally don't care about the Carabao Cup and will play their rotational/youth players throughout. The FA Cup typically has more of the typical starting 11 playing.

Sure, but so will Liverpool. There is no reason they can't compete for FA Cup, in fact I think that was their best chance for silverware before the season started. So we will see.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sure, but so will Liverpool. There is no reason they can't compete for FA Cup, in fact I think that was their best chance for silverware before the season started. So we will see.

I wasn't disagreeing with that, just that the competitions aren't the same.

More often than not, one of the big clubs will win each, but more often than not, a non-big club is involved in final. Most clubs have a reasonable chance at winning, I agree with that.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
One person who eventually was ridiculed even among his own.

I don't know why it is seen as such heresy to say that Liverpool overpaid for AOC for now. That's a massive price for a central midfielder when you can seemingly count the amount of above average performances he has had in that position with one hand. Most of the poor plays he made against Leicester didn't have much to do with him not being accustomed to the team IMO.

Of course, he still has plenty of time to prove me wrong.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
One person who eventually was ridiculed even among his own.

I don't know why it is seen as such heresy to say that Liverpool overpaid for AOC for now. That's a massive price for a central midfielder when you can seemingly count the amount of above average performances he has had in that position with one hand. Most of the poor plays he made against Leicester didn't have much to do with him not being accustomed to the team IMO.

Of course, he still has plenty of time to prove me wrong.

Because you're basing this 'over-payment' on complete unknowns. It's a completely different system, I don't see anyone talking about how bright he looked in the early stages of the game, and he's only 24 with his best years coming in the future. Looking at the prices of players (especially English ones) nowadays it's definitely far too early to say that Liverpool 'overpaid'.

Ox showed good and bad against Leicester, but so did most of our team. It's clear that frustration was setting in after not scoring, and then giving up a goal against the run of play completely depleted the team. It happens.

You need to stop looking at Chambo's past performances with Arsenal and his usual positions (he almost never played CM there) and look more at his skillset and package as a player to see how he'll fit in at Liverpool. He's got engine, close control, likes to speed up the play, a good cross and pace which all suit one of Liverpool's 4 advanced mid/wide players very well.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't know why it is seen as such heresy to say that Liverpool overpaid for AOC for now.

As of now he started one game. A league cup game against Leicester where he played in combination with the illustrious Jon Flanagan on his side of the pitch. While phenomenal Solanke and Ings were the strikers.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Because you're basing this 'over-payment' on complete unknowns. It's a completely different system, I don't see anyone talking about how bright he looked in the early stages of the game, and he's only 24 with his best years coming in the future. Looking at the prices of players (especially English ones) nowadays it's definitely far too early to say that Liverpool 'overpaid'.

Ox showed good and bad against Leicester, but so did most of our team. It's clear that frustration was setting in after not scoring, and then giving up a goal against the run of play completely depleted the team. It happens.

You need to stop looking at Chambo's past performances with Arsenal and his usual positions (he almost never played CM there) and look more at his skillset and package as a player to see how he'll fit in at Liverpool. He's got engine, close control, likes to speed up the play, a good cross and pace which all suit one of Liverpool's 4 advanced mid/wide players very well.

Fine. But if I see you ever giving any initial reaction to a transfer fee just like i did and many, many more do, I will be calling you out on it. I called it an overpayment way before the Leicester game.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Feel free. I've been a pretty big advocate of there not being a such thing as an 'overpayment'. These clubs have more than enough money to burn. I might call something a bad signing but even then I think I just more question the logic behind certain moves rather than calling it an outright bad signing until a player has ultimately failed.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Fine. But if I see you ever giving any initial reaction to a transfer fee just like i did and many, many more do, I will be calling you out on it. I called it an overpayment way before the Leicester game.

I'd argue it was market value, specifically because Chelsea set the market. Liverpool were under no obligation to match, but they obviously wanted the player so they did. AOC has been with LFC less than a month, and according to Klopp has been nursing an injury as well. Too early to write him off, despite what the blatant trolling on here suggests. All prices are too high now. AOC has not been giving the chance to show his best yet. As bad as his second half was, he was one of their best players in the first half; which people are choosing to ignore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad