Line Combos: 2017/18 CBJ Lineups

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Panarin-Wennberg-Atkinson
Milano-Foligno-Bjorkstrand
PLD-Dubi-Anderson
Jenner-Dalpe-Calveret
Sedlak

Roll 4 lines anyone? (Mix & Match and it still works)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I wanted Atkinson and Panarin on different lines, and that still may be the best thing for this team, but I would keep them together for now. I wouldn't change the top 3 lines when Jenner and Anderson come back. I would put them on the fourth line and move them up when their play dictates they should move up. I think Anderson would be better on the the third line with Dubois. Jenner might just be a 4th liner on this team. Yes, we are good. Jenner is a 4th liner and Murray is a 5th defenseman.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Glad to see Torts getting Panarin and Atkinson on Folignos line. Foligno has been our best center this season, can control the puck, and adds some size to the line . In the same breath, Jarmo, get a trade done, Foligno is our number 1 center:)
No he's not. He's not taking as many draws as either Dubi or Wennberg and he's getting the easiest matchups.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
No he's not. He's not taking as many draws as either Dubi or Wennberg and he's getting the easiest matchups.
Last game against Chicago, Torts had to put Foligno on like with Wennberg, and Panarin, on powerplay, so Foligno could take the face off , over wennberg.

Also, faceoff disparity isn't huge, Foligno has taken 24, hes 19-5 for 72%
Wennberg has taken 32, and hes 11-21 for 34%
Dubinsky has taken most, hes taken 39, and is at 20-19 for 51%

Last edited:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Winning faceoffs does not correlate to higher possession numbers nor winning percentages. I'm not saying that they're worthless, but you seem really held up on it.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Winning faceoffs does not correlate to higher possession numbers nor winning percentages. I'm not saying that they're worthless, but you seem really held up on it.
Oh, I agree, its not the end all be all, but generally that's accounting for a player to be somewhat average in the faceoff dept. Also I'm sure the move was made because Panarin had 1 shot on goal in each of the 2 first games

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
Last game against Chicago, Torts had to put Foligno on like with Wennberg, and Panarin, on powerplay, so Foligno could take the face off , over wennberg.

Also, faceoff disparity isn't huge, Foligno has taken 24, hes 19-5 for 72%
Wennberg has taken 32, and hes 11-21 for 34%
Dubinsky has taken most, hes taken 39, and is at 20-19 for 51%

Since you seem to have the stats, what was Nick's faceoff % against Tavares and Toews?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
While we can fairly quibble about their importance in 5 on 5 (though I believe them important), faceoffs are critical on PP and PK because of the (no)icing rule. And that's a problem since Wennberg is on the #1 PP unit and is one reason Foligno is needed with that unit.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Since you seem to have the stats, what was Nick's faceoff % against Tavares and Toews?
The one i Saw on the powerplay, Foligno won. But I remember specifically because I thought it was weird that Foligno was on the ice, with Wennberg

While we can fairly quibble about their importance in 5 on 5 (though I believe them important), faceoffs are critical on PP and PK because of the (no)icing rule. And that's a problem since Wennberg is on the #1 PP unit and is one reason Foligno is needed with that unit.

Exacty right, you can have Atkinson & Panarin on the ice on the powerplay, the center loses the faceoff, thats close to 30 seconds of the powerplay wasted .

Reactions: hardkorejackets

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
View media item 329
Go to the NHL app and go to the box score. They have a faceoff comparison sheet breaking down who faced off against who. And I can tell you right now Wennberg faced Tavares and Toews way more than anyone else on the team. In fact, against Chicago Wennberg only faced Toews and Anisimov. Pretty sure Nick only faced Toews three times and mostly Hartman.

I'm not denying that Foligno is better at faceoffs, but usage says Wennberg as of the last two games is the#1, but he without a doubt has to improve on his faceoffs if he wants to truly become a #1C in the league.

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Forsberg is showing FO big middle finger right now in Toronto.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
View media item 329
Go to the NHL app and go to the box score. They have a faceoff comparison sheet breaking down who faced off against who. And I can tell you right now Wennberg faced Tavares and Toews way more than anyone else on the team. In fact, against Chicago Wennberg only faced Toews and Anisimov. Pretty sure Nick only faced Toews three times and mostly Hartman.

I'm not denying that Foligno is better at faceoffs, but usage says Wennberg as of the last two games is the#1, but he without a doubt has to improve on his faceoffs if he wants to truly become a #1C in the league.
I think he was the number 1 , appears that Foligno has been moved to 1 and Dubinsky to 2 . Wennberg to 3rd line with Dubois. But I wasn’t aware u could look up stats that detailed , thanks for posting

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
Very interesting combinations. Dubois has been a monster in generating shots and possession...I wonder how things will look once Jenner's healthy?

9-71-13
18-10-28
38-17-77
11-45-22

I like the new lines (from the tweet), although I'd switch 11 & 22 and put some skill and creativity on that line instead of just jam. I don't think Jenner is coming back soon, so I'm not considering him yet. (No inside info, just speculation).

9-91-13
18-10-28
22-17-77
11-45-37 / 38-45-11

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
From CBJ site, Wennberg is demoted to third line for Carolina game.

PROJECTED LINEUP

Panarin - Foligno - Atkinson

Calvert - Dubinsky - Anderson

Dubois - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand

Milano - Sedlak - Hannikainen

Werenski - Jones

Johnson - Savard

Murray - Carlsson

Bobrovsky

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

PROJECTED LINEUP

Werenski - Jones

Johnson - Savard

Murray - Carlsson

Bobrovsky

:rolleyes:

The lineup as I have it:

Werenski - Jones
Johnson - Savard
Murray - Carlsson

OMG SEDLAK IS OUR #1C AND PANARIN IS DEMOTED MUST TRADE FOR DUCHENE NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW

seriously, if I see one more "HE'S BEEN DEMOTED!!11111" post based on a failure to internalize the fact that we roll four lines now I will set the world on fire.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
It's REALLY early. The "varsity" didn't play as an entire unit until the last 2 preseason games. These are the best 23 players in the organization; the best combinations of those 23 still a work in progress. And as soon as we think the combos are found, they will change again. It's hockey. Panarin had 3 helpers on Friday and the team was a world-beater. They play not so well on a back-to-back, against a fresh home team, immediately following the skating camp from h***, without Anderson and Jenner to lead the push, with a semi-bad outing by Korpi to boot -- and now many are looking for a whipping boy or two. Enter stage right, Alex Wennberg. Oh, and Z doesn't look as good as last year....and Korpi sucks... And wait for Andy to have a turnover, he held out, he sucks, he's selfish....remember!

Points in October count, no doubt. But no team is getting 164 points. Stay at or above the bar in October/November, find what the strengths and weaknesses are, work on improving internally, and failing that then find outside help. I am not a Duchenne fan, but if he is that help later, go for it. With any Duchenne deal having not occurred early in camp, I doubt JK is going to pull the trigger on offering any additional assets for Duchenne until he see enough games to know what he really needs.....and good on him if he continues to take his time, because what he may need the most is simply time for the line combos to sort themselves out.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

PROJECTED LINEUP

Werenski - Jones

Johnson - Savard

Murray - Carlsson

Bobrovsky
Digging the first line, excited to see Foligno with Panarin , and Atkinson, Foligno is much stronger on the puck, and will try to beat the defender one on one which I think is important to Panarin having more space. Foligno will shoot the puck, and will win faceoffs. Not sure I like Milano being moved to the 4th line. On the 3rd line, Dubois is strong on the puck, and can retreive on the wall, which should benefit Wennberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad