Line Combos: 2017/18 CBJ Lineups

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
What are our lineups looking like come October? Who do you think makes the cut past training camp?

I've got this:

Panarin - Wennberg - Atkinson (fast, explosive line)
PLD/Abramov - Sedlak - Bjorkstrand (fast, young line)
Jenner - Dubinsky - Folingo (very tough 3rd line to play against)
Calvert - Motte - Anderson (tough line with lots of grit)

Werenski - Jones
Murray - Savard
Nutivaara - Carlsson

Bobrovsky

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Panarin-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Jenner-PLD-Anderson
Calvert-Sedlak-Hannikainen

Werenski-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara

Bob
Korpi

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
I honestly think we have a pretty good line up from the top to the bottom. Obviously we could use a star centre like Duchene, but I think we would give up too much for him that we would have gaps in the team afterwards.

I really think some of the young guys will surprise us next season.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I think we need a little grit on that top line with Panarin and Wennberg.

Panarin - Wennberg - Foligno
Atkinson - Dubi - Bjorkstrand
Jenner - PLD - Anderson
Calvert - Sedlak - Milano

Motte/Hannikainen

Werenski - Jones
Savard - Johnson
Murray - Carlsson/Nuti

Harrington

Bob
Korpi

That third line could be one of the best in the league if PLD shows he can play with the big boys. Big, physical and can score.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Calvert - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Jenner - PLD - Bjorkstrand
Hannikainen - Sedlak - Anderson
Motte
Milano

Werenski - Jones
Johnson - Savard
Nutivaara - Murray
Carlsson

Bobrovsky
Korpisalo.

Rationale:
FW1 - Wennberg + Panarin for the points. Foligno benefits from playing with Wennberg and provides the physical presence and does work in the corners.
FW2 - Calvert is playing above his station, but this line has proven chemistry. It's also one which will match up against other teams' top lines.
FW3 - This line is a "prove it" line. All 3 arguably disappointed last season. If PLD can't succeed at center, swap him with Jenner.
FW4 - Anderson is playing below his station, but he brings a solid scoring threat as well as plays a game which meshes well with Sedlak and Hannikainen.
Motte and Milano are kept around as spares in case of injury or when guys need a rest. Maybe swap one of them with Hannikainen.

Defense - Why mess with what works?

Goaltending - Bob is goaltender #1 through #5 on our team's depth chart. Korpisalo could surprise if Bob goes down, but he'd need VERY solid defense in front of him. If Bob goes down, Thiessen gets an NHL contract.

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
I just posted this in the trade rumors thread but imagine how great the team would be with a player like Shipyachov

Atkinson - Shipyachov - Bjorkstrand
Jenner - Dubinsky - PLD
Calvert - Sedlak - Anderson

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Jenner-PLD-Anderson

Werenski-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara

Bob
Korpi
I have the same exact lines except maybe Motte sliding in on that 4RW and I wish it were possible for Carlaon over Nuti but I don't see Nuti going to Cleveland and Carlson staying. It's possible both stay and rotate games early to see who stays long term but baring a Murray trade I think Carlson gets stuck as an injury call up.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Jenner-PLD-Anderson

Werenski-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara

Bob
Korpi

Only difference I would have is flipping Jenner and Foligno. I just think PLD could use a vet on his wing. And Foligno did a good job with Joey so why not try it again.

Mar 1, 2002
You need a guy that can get the puck from the corners and behind the net, retrieve the puck, get it to Wennberg who can then feed Panarin.

Panarin-Wennberg-Anderson
Jenner-Dubi-Cam
Foligno-PLD-Bjorkstrand
Calvert-Sedlak-Hannakainen

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I know the defense will look pretty similar next season pairing wise but for the hell of it...

Carlsson - Jones

Two HUGE mobile defenseman, one with game breaking talent and the other a more conservative "safe" player.

Werenski - Savard

Gives Werenski a solid defensive partner who can also fire an absolute bomb on net and isn't too shabby in the offensive zone

Johnson - Murray

This could either be a really good pair(think Wiz/Murray) or really bad

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I don't know about matching up Foligno and PLD on the same line...they're both play a pretty similar style

Panarin-Wennberg-Foligno
Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Anderson-PLD-Bjorkstrand
Calvert-Sedlak-Motte/Milano/Hannikainen

Murray-Jones
Werenski-Savard
Johnson-Carlsson/Nuti

I think we should still be looking into acquiring another top-6 F, whether that be a center or winger

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
You need a guy that can get the puck from the corners and behind the net, retrieve the puck, get it to Wennberg who can then feed Panarin.

Jenner-Dubi-Cam
Foligno-PLD-Bjorkstrand
Calvert-Sedlak-Hannakainen

I am a huge Anderson fan....but I think Panarin will have Foligno on the other side of him with Wennberg on the top line. Foligno is the best option/play maker for getting Panarin the maximum number of SOG this year.

Panarin-Wennberg-Foligno

I think that top line will stick for a large majority of the season, Torts will change it up some but not much I don't think

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th line is TBA......many, many options, we don't even know all the players who will make the team yet.

What I do know is I miss hockey and can't wait for training camp to begin

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I think Jenner-Dubi-Cam and Calvert-Sedlak-Hannikainen are pretty straightforward. I'm not a huge fan of pairing Jenner and Dubinsky, but Atkinson adds some much-needed speed and skill to the line. If PLD shows he belongs, I might like to see him switch with Dubi. The fourth line is a classic fourth line with three defensively responsible players; Motte can draw in for any of the three positions. I don't really want Milano sitting in the press box and occasionally playing fourth-line minutes, but he'd be the first call-up if any of the top-9 wings get hurt.

I go back and forth on whether I'd rather see Foligno with Panarin-Wennberg or Dubois-Bjorkstrand. Foligno's probably the team's best possession forward, so it makes sense to put him with the best playmaker in Wennberg and sniper in Panarin, but also, that leaves Anderson on his off wing as the most experienced player on that third line. Anderson can bring a lot of the same skills as Foligno and while he sometimes disappears, he's also got, perhaps more than any other Jackets forward, an ability to completely dominate a game in every facet when everything's clicking for him (his game on 11/29 against the Lightning was maybe the best game from any Blue Jacket over the last several seasons).

So I think I'd go:

Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Foligno-Dubois-Bjorkstrand

But for the sake of getting weird, I might also like:

Panarin-Foligno-Atkinson
Anderson-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Dubois-Dubinsky-Milano
Jenner-Sedlak-Calvert

This has a few major problems, primarily Nick Foligno, First-Line Center, but I like the idea of Panarin and Atkinson on the same line, and Foligno's a defensively responsible possession driver who's capable of playing the facilitator role. On the second line, Bjorkstrand was at his absolute best in Portland when he was able to find soft spots in the defense with Paul Bittner wreaking havoc on the opposite wing, so I'd like Anderson to replicate that dynamic as closely as possible. Then the third line I'm basically just guessing, since I don't really have a handle on how PLD or Milano would fit into the Jackets' offense. They'd probably benefit from having Dubi as something of a babysitter, I guess. Finally, Jenner adds some scoring punch to that fourth line that it lacks as Calvert-Sedlak-Hannikainen, and I'd probably also have him play the Sam Gagner net front role on the PP, plus setting screens for Werenski point shots.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
All of these lineups make me wish we had another top 6 C along the lines of Duchene and a more experienced top 6 RW.

Jagr anyone on a one year deal?

Panarin-Wennberg-Jagr
Foligno-Dubi-Atkinson
Jenner-PLD-Anderson
Calvert-Sedlak-Bjorkstrand
???

OB seems out of place but the other 3 lines would be pretty darn solid imo

With fantasy now over I like spin's line-up the best with what we know we have.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
All of these lineups make me wish we had another top 6 C along the lines of Duchene and a more experienced top 6 RW.

Jagr anyone on a one year deal?

Panarin-Wennberg-Jagr
Foligno-Dubi-Atkinson
Jenner-PLD-Anderson
Calvert-Sedlak-Bjorkstrand
???

OB seems out of place but the other 3 lines would be pretty darn solid imo

With fantasy now over I like spin's line-up the best with what we know we have.

I don't think Jagr's a bad locker room dude, but he's different for sure. SO I wonder. But he loves to score goals, so that could be a good thing. As it is, I think, as with most of these lineups, that we'll see Foligno at RW, and I'd play him with Wennberg and Panarin, although I kind of like the idea of Anderson there, too.

Anyway, I think the three questions are:
1) Who plays with Dubi and Cam? Neither Jenner nor Foligno has been a great match there, although Jenner did see a lot of time there last season if memory serves.
2) What do you get from Dubois, and at which position? I agree with those who like him at center, but who knows. And which part of his game is going to prove most valuiable early? Would Anderson or Bjorkstrand look better on his wing, for example?
3) Who develops chemistry with Sedlak and Calvert? Did Sedlak center Milano season before last in Cleveland?

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I don't think Jagr's a bad locker room dude, but he's different for sure. SO I wonder. But he loves to score goals, so that could be a good thing. As it is, I think, as with most of these lineups, that we'll see Foligno at RW, and I'd play him with Wennberg and Panarin, although I kind of like the idea of Anderson there, too.

The problem with moving Foligno to RW is that it creates a hole on the LW. We have Calvert (should not be in a top 6 role), Panarin, and then two of Dubi/Jenner/PLD/Milano/Foligno. Two of those 5 should be playing center on any given night. On the right side, there's Bjorkstrand, Atkinson, and Anderson, plus whatever #12/13 forward we have on the 4th line. Using this, we end up with something like:

Panarin-Wennberg-Foligno
XXX-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Jenner-PLD-Bjorkstrand
Calvert-Sedlak-Anderson

If Milano earns a spot, continues to do the smart back checking from the Calder Cup playoffs two years back rather than floating/making stupid cutesy plays, then sure, that could work. I might not hate the speed of Milano and Cam making up for Dubi. I'm also not opposed to a 1 year deal for Jagr to try with Panem and Wennberg.

DSL said:
3) Who develops chemistry with Sedlak and Calvert? Did Sedlak center Milano season before last in Cleveland?
The end of the year, Hannikainen-Sedlak-Bjorkstrand was a line, I believe, and then Milano was on the 4th line with Ryan Craig and Vogelhuber. I know Sedlak and Bjork were playing together, but I'm not 100% sure on the LW.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The end of the year, Hannikainen-Sedlak-Bjorkstrand was a line, I believe, and then Milano was on the 4th line with Ryan Craig and Vogelhuber. I know Sedlak and Bjork were playing together, but I'm not 100% sure on the LW.

Thanks, 827. I was trying to recall, but my memory fades after about...

what were we talking about?

Anyway color me intrigued. I am not real big an Hannikainen, but I don't know as I'd be opposed to Calvert-PLD-Anderson as a line. That'd be your bottom six, call whichever one you like 3 and 4.

That puts Jenner with Dubi and Cam and Foligno with Wennberg and Panarin.

Yes, all of that slots in better with one added top 6-type piece, But I think I can be good with that.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Thanks, 827. I was trying to recall, but my memory fades after about...

what were we talking about?

Anyway color me intrigued. I am not real big an Hannikainen, but I don't know as I'd be opposed to Calvert-PLD-Anderson as a line. That'd be your bottom six, call whichever one you like 3 and 4.

That puts Jenner with Dubi and Cam and Foligno with Wennberg and Panarin.

Yes, all of that slots in better with one added top 6-type piece, But I think I can be good with that.

Imo putting Bjorkstrand on the 4th is like putting Atkinson on the 4th when he was trying to break onto the roster. He's either in a top 6 role or in Cleveland.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Imo putting Bjorkstrand on the 4th is like putting Atkinson on the 4th when he was trying to break onto the roster. He's either in a top 6 role or in Cleveland.

I think it goes back to what he needs to develop. Imo that's adapting to the speed of the NHL. Can't do that in Cleveland. If it isn't working then he can go back to Cleveland.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
First 5 minutes of game 1
Panarin - Wennberg - Atkinson (fast, explosive line)
PLD/Abramov - Sedlak - Bjorkstrand (fast, young line)
Jenner - Dubinsky - Folingo (very tough 3rd line to play against)
Calvert - Motte - Anderson (tough line with lots of grit)

Werenski - Jones
Murray - Savard
Nutivaara - Carlsson

Bobrovsky

Second 5 minutes of game 1
Jenner-PLD-Anderson

Werenski-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara

Bob

2nd period 1st game
Panarin-Foligno-Atkinson
Anderson-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Dubois-Dubinsky-Milano
Jenner-Sedlak-Calvert

Continue... Remember that Torts is the coach.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I disagree with Privet, Crede, and 827 about putting Anderson on a 4th line. Are you saying that we made a specific deal with Las Vegas to keep a 4th liner and you don't expect him to top the 17 goals he had?? Plus you are going to give him a bridge contract?

I just disagree with slotting Anderson on the 4th line. He needs more of an opportunity (TOI)

Spin and PDangles9 has Jenner on the 2nd line. Again, I disagree. This team should have more goal scoring talent to push Jenner down from the 2nd line. If injuries occur, okay. But not as a matter of course for me.

I'm hoping that Cam (in a contract year) comes close to his 37 goals again, and one of the following; Bjorkstrand, PLD, or Sedlak, make a big splash this year. I personally think Abramov needs another year, but that is what Traverse City and Training Camp are for. Lost in this for me is Milano. Sonny Milano needs to establish himself soon or possibly get lost in the shuffle.

I think by April of 2018, we will be surprised what the CBJ have in Gabe Carlsson.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Then call PLD's line the 4th. And give Bjork 2nd unit PP time.

I'm totally just spitballing this stuff.

I think it goes back to what he needs to develop. Imo that's adapting to the speed of the NHL. Can't do that in Cleveland. If it isn't working then he can go back to Cleveland.

Maybe its my homer shades but I really think Bjorkstrand is gonna break out this season. He seems like an extremely determined player. This was jarmos first draft and he really preached character as a big factor in making decisions and I think Bjorkstrand is a perfect example of that. He knows they expect big things from him, but I don't think it's a case of needing to adjust to the NHL. I think it's just him thinking too much, he's a fast, smart player and he had no problem adjusting to the AHL. But when you start putting too much pressure on yourself and grip your stick a little too tight you make mistakes. I really think(hope) he's gonna come into camp and blow the doors off.

I know it's from when he was in jrs but that's some pretty high praise about the kid.

If Torts really is going to let Panarin do his thing and gives him comparable offensive zone starts, I think it's imperative to have one of Atkinson or Bjorkstrand on the other side. Having a scoring threat opposite of Panarin gives him more space to operate.

Panarin - Wennberg - Atkinson

Foligno - PLD - Bjorkstrand

Jenner - Dubinsky - Anderson

Calvert - Sedlak - Hannikainen

Werenski - Jones
Johnson - Savard
Nutivaara - Murray

First two lines get your offensive starts when they can and the bottom two get the defensive. Jenner and Foligno could be swapped and then Atkinson and Anderson I think are easily exchangable. Atkinson is actually an extremely solid defensive player and I think he would help drive play up ice being out there for defensive starts.

The only player I don't feel solid about is Hannikainen, while Milano needs to break through, I don't see him on 4th line duty. Although I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->