2017-18 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

I'm sure attacking and threatening the fans on the eve of the outdoor game is going to work all kinds of wonders, Euge.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, threatening to sell off all the good players and play with a cap floor roster unless the fans buy more tickets is a lowest of the low move by an owner. Cutting off his nose to spite his fans.

Last edited:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The man is an idiot. Regardless of what he privately thinks, his public self-pity show that he's had going for quite some time is pretty odd. He's essentially blackmailing the fans to show up. There's this beauty too:

Let's keep that 1st to see if Eugene decides paying Karlsson is just too tough.

As much as we don't like Kroneke... at least we don't have Melnyk.

I think we rag on Kroenke far too much seeing stuff like this...there's little accountability in the Avs' organization, but I'll take a passive owner who doesn't care too much and writes the cheques over whatever Melnyk thinks he's doing.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Just watching them talk about the Sens/Canadiens outdoor game and the stars that are in it. Duchene not even mentioned. Ouch.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The fact that he's spewing that garbage on a day the players and their families were skating on the outdoor rink right in front of Parliament Hall (i.e. nothing but positive PR for a team getting anything but for weeks) shows you just how f***ing clueless he is.

Duchene has gotta be loving this.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Just watching them talk about the Sens/Canadiens outdoor game and the stars that are in it. Duchene not even mentioned. Ouch.

El Travo, you really think that Dutch is a star player? Or just a decent complementary piece? why would they have to comment about Dutchy and then nothing would happen. Its not like Dutchy is a star player.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kroenke's no saint, especially when it comes to the things he's done regarding the Rams. And don't even mention his name to Arsenal fans in the UK. But at least he's nowhere near as stupid as Eugene Melnyk.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
El Travo, you really think that Dutch is a star player? Or just a decent complementary piece? why would they have to comment about Dutchy and then nothing would happen. Its not like Dutchy is a star player.

You really think Ottawa gave up what they did for somebody they didn't think would be a star? The media would give less of a crap about him being in trade rumours if they thought he was just a complementary player.

He was supposed to be a star in Ottawa and has floundered.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You really think Ottawa gave up what they did for somebody they didn't think would be a star? The media would give less of a crap about him being in trade rumours if they thought he was just a complementary player.

He was supposed to be a star in Ottawa and has floundered.

I think he's being a bit facetious. We all know Ottawa wants Duchene to be the franchise center. Whether he fulfills that role remains to be seen.

On thing I'd try, even thought they might not have the depth--move Brassard to Duchene's wing, bump Pageau up to 2C. Brassard can play that position, and it'd give Dutchy the kind of wing he needs.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Sens doing poorly is good for us, next season of theirs could be even uglier, which could land us Hughes. The worse they are the better, I'm not going to act a saint and pretend I'm not eagerly awaiting to see if they totally bomb.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe, if the ticket prices weren't so dame expensive I'd go to a game.
What? You can get into a senators game for like 20$ a game. We had an AHL franchise here that sold out every night for 4 years and tickets started at $35. Mind you our stadium could only hold 7000 people but we also have a city population of 100,000 compared to Ottawa's near million.

Melnyk is an absolutely clown. He should be hated by the fans. But when a team can't even sell tickets to a third round playoff game that's completely on the fans. An I'm well aware of where the stadium is located and all that jazz but the simple fact is that Ottawa isn't a hockey city. It's an arts city. That doesn't mean there isn't hockey fans. They have many die hards. But most of the population couldn't care less about the hockey team. Any other Canadian city with an arena placed a little inconveniently out of the way would still make it work. It's hockey.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
On a side note, why is Boeser pronounced Besser instead of bo-zer?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
What? You can get into a senators game for like 20$ a game. We had an AHL franchise here that sold out every night for 4 years and tickets started at $35. Mind you our stadium could only hold 7000 people but we also have a city population of 100,000 compared to Ottawa's near million.

Melnyk is an absolutely clown. He should be hated by the fans. But when a team can't even sell tickets to a third round playoff game that's completely on the fans. An I'm well aware of where the stadium is located and all that jazz but the simple fact is that Ottawa isn't a hockey city. It's an arts city. That doesn't mean there isn't hockey fans. They have many die hards. But most of the population couldn't care less about the hockey team. Any other Canadian city with an arena placed a little inconveniently out of the way would still make it work. It's hockey.
The issue is that many of hockey fans there are either Leafs or Habs fans, every other game between Habs or Leafs and Sens is packed mostly with fans of those two rather than Sens fans.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It blows my mind that Altitude are considered the worst announcers by the majority of HF when we have Wild, Pens and Ducks being bigger homers with none of charm.

Jack Edwards is a massive homer but at least he has the grandiose nerd thing going that makes him somewhat entertaining.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Man this organization could use a Brock Boeser. That guy is going to score 30+ goals consistently for a long time.

On pace for 40 goals in his rookie year. IMO he goes top 5 in a 2015 redraft which is quite an accomplishment. I said in the other thread that I'd trade Rants for him in a heartbeat and I was serious.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Ottawa won 3-0, I'm still not sure if I want them to turn it around so we can get their pick this season, or if I want the mystery box of next season.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Ottawa won 3-0, I'm still not sure if I want them to turn it around so we can get their pick this season, or if I want the mystery box of next season.

I want this years first and foremost. It's a nice looking draft, and adds the prospect to the organization sooner than letter. 2019 is a really big mystery box. Ottawa might struggle to sign Karlsson, and if they trade him that pick could be brilliant. But Ottawa might also sign Karlsson, or just decide to keep him around anyways, in which case next season he might bounce back, Duchene will fit into the system better and be more comfortable, all bolstered by a talented youth movement of Chabot / White / maybe Brown.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I 100% hope for this season. I'll take a mid 1st in a great draft over a mystery box in a good one.

Reactions: Balthazar

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I want a pick in 2018, preferably 11th overall if possible however I think the best thing for us would be for Ottawa continue sucking and then outright tank next season. Not intentionally, but I think they'll be quite bad next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad