Confirmed with Link: Chicago Wolves AHL Affiliate

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The NHL pushed us to get this done as much as Chicago was pushed. I have no idea what we gave up but I’d assume to get control we gave up some things we didn’t want to. I feel both leagues pretty much forced the two to make a deal, with consequences for both teams if it didn’t happen.

I don’t view this as they came crawling to us. I view this as the two leagues grabbed their respective side by the ear and threw us in a room, locked it and wouldn’t let us out until it was done.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
While it's fun to thump our chests about getting control over hockey operation decisions and believe Chicago came crawling back, one of the reasons Carolina went with Chicago in the first place was financial, in that the Wolves were going to take more of the financial burden than what the Canes had previously with Charlotte.

This decision to part ways had an impact on our own prospects and while it wasn't a huge deal for 1 season, it would have been had it persisted. I would be surprised if Dundon and co. didn't give up some of that financial gain they previously had to get that control so I suspect both sides had to give up something. We needed an affiliate as much as they needed an NHL team.
You are almost certainly correct.

Which also means that Dundon has concluded that spending more for control is an area where spending does eventually impact on ice performance.

In that way, Dundon did learn something this year. And he got a deal Chicago never made with Vancouver, or St. Louis, or Vegas.

It’s a deal neither side would have made at any point in the last 3 years.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I don’t give a flying fornication who f’d around and found out what from who, or who won the battle of stubborn jackasses. We have a team, and we have prospects coming in to play on it, and we have the operational control to make sure our kids play.

This hurt us, and it bothers me a guy like Rees got left behind in the storm it created but it’s over and we move on. We’ll see how guys like Blake, Nadeau and Morrow do as top six/top four players against men soon enough. Let’s get some more Euros over here. Heimosalmi, Tieksola, Gunler, Pashin….hell let’s offer Boychuk and Bowman spots.
We kinda need to make a prospect thread to figure out who all will be in NA next season.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I thought he was 20/soon to be 20

I'm excited for him though big fast goalie.
He’ll be 20 in November with very limited VHL experience there. We need to find a KHL team that will let him play in the VHL exclusively next year with a spot chance at khl duty at the end of the season. Keeping his support system around him. Maybe when he is 21 see if we can get him a KHL season under his belt and reevaluate.

We could wait one season and follow the bring him over young at 21. Askarov came over at 20 but was more highly regarded.

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I think the biggest casualty of this AHL season for us was the handling of Rees. Kid was knocking on the door of an NHL call up. He got kind of tossed around, scored 0 goals this season, and ended getting traded. Gotta wonder how his season would have gone without the Wolves drama.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
I’m going to let everyone else in this thread be the bigger person and I’ll be the salty ex.

I want the Wolves to tell us how beautiful and smart we are.

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think the biggest casualty of this AHL season for us was the handling of Rees. Kid was knocking on the door of an NHL call up. He got kind of tossed around, scored 0 goals this season, and ended getting traded. Gotta wonder how his season would have gone without the Wolves drama.
I don't agree. Rees was a guy that hopefully might be a Brock McGinn type player. So if it was 2018 situation maybe he's have a shot. Today? we are sitting guys like KK and Lemieux and Comtois. Could Rees beat out those guys? maybe but it's not a given.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
So, in lieu of owning a franchise, we are likely going to have to pony up a bit more for player costs than we did when we first signed on with Chicago in order to get more control. We get more control, they probably pocket more money, hopefully we provide a winning and developmental environment. Seems fair.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I don't agree. Rees was a guy that hopefully might be a Brock McGinn type player. So if it was 2018 situation maybe he's have a shot. Today? we are sitting guys like KK and Lemieux and Comtois. Could Rees beat out those guys? maybe but it's not a given.

What was the biggest individual casualty then in development if not Rees? I’m not disagreeing with your view on Rees tho. I think he was knocking, but not sure if anyone was going to answer that door tho.

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What was the biggest individual casualty then in development if not Rees? I’m not disagreeing with your view on Rees tho. I think he was knocking, but not sure if anyone was going to answer that door tho.
That's fine. I just don't think he was knocking at the door as much as you do, particularly for a team as deep as Carolina is.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
That's fine. I just don't think he was knocking at the door as much as you do, particularly for a team as deep as Carolina is.
I’m just joking around with that question I asked you. But in hindsight the development loss of Rees was very painless, if that’s the worst we did I think we got out of the shituation pretty okay.

This coming season would have a lot worse consequences. We likely never lock down all of Nadeau, Blake, and Morrow without an affiliate.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Well, control means coaching.....who are we bringing in as coach. Would Tim Gleason consider taking those reins? Not saying it is a good idea, I'm just curious as the coach will have to run Carolina's system (or very close to it).

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad