2017-18 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I want a pick in 2018, preferably 11th overall if possible however I think the best thing for us would be for Ottawa continue sucking and then outright tank next season. Not intentionally, but I think they'll be quite bad next year.
Yeah, but this is a winger/D heavy draft. Next year is more centers. Are we still in the market for a franchise center now? Or any kind of top six center? I'd rather just take a shot at getting a Wahlstrom/Bouchard or the like combo out of this draft, it lines up so perfectly with what we need, and will develop faster to boot.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, but this is a winger/D heavy draft. Next year is more centers. Are we still in the market for a franchise center now? Or any kind of top six center? I'd rather just take a shot at getting a Wahlstrom/Bouchard or the like combo out of this draft, it lines up so perfectly with what we need, and will develop faster to boot.
If you have the option of selecting a player in the top-3 of the 2019 draft or a player in the 11-31 range in the 2018 draft, you go for the better prospect. Not that we'll have a choice based on where Ottawa will finish, but for argument's sake let's say Ottawa's pick lands at 1st overall in 2019. At that point, you select BPA and figure things out from there. If it's a centre, who cares? It just means that players like Compher, Jost, and Kerfoot can be played on the wing and gives our team even more depth.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Mikhail Sergachev is 2nd in defensemen for goals with 8, and is tied for 4th in rookie scoring with 23 points while only playing 15 minutes per night.

It's obviously way too early to decide who won the trade, but man that could look ugly in a couple of years trading a potential #1 defensemen away for Jonathan Drouin

Reactions: Foppberg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
NHL is probably cringe-worthy when it comes to certain things, but I gotta give them a lot of credit to the Centennial Classic. It was (no pun intended), a classy act they put on from the beginning with the old players to announcing the two modern teams, thus turning a page so to speak. Then having Bryan Adams as the intermission entertainment was also quite classy. Sadly though, it seems like the Sens fans considered this game just another game with majority of the spectators leaving before the final whistle (maybe the temperature played a part though).

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't mind owners that feel the team has to bear it's costs. It's ok to treat it as any other business. Might not be what the fans want, but it's still legitimate.

The problem with Melnyk is more that he runs his mouth and gets in the way of the GM. He has to realize how sensitive it is to a smaller Canadian market to even insinuate that it might not keep it's team in the long run. Nothing good can come out of it.

I don't even think spending or not spending is the main problem for them at the moment. It's how they spent. They added Phaneuf and Ryan and now has to pay them for ages. They added Brassard while they could probably have locked up Zibanejad for less money in the long run.

With Alfredsson and Karlsson they seem to love their top players when playing at a discount and then when the players wants theirs, the tone changes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't mind owners that feel the team has to bear it's costs. It's ok to treat it as any other business. Might not be what the fans want, but it's still legitimate.

The problem with Melnyk is more that he runs his mouth and gets in the way of the GM. He has to realize how sensitive it is to a smaller Canadian market to even insinuate that it might not keep it's team in the long run. Nothing good can come out of it.

I don't even think spending or not spending is the main problem for them at the moment. It's how they spent. They added Phaneuf and Ryan and now has to pay them for ages. They added Brassard while they could probably have locked up Zibanejad for less money in the long run.

With Alfredsson and Karlsson they seem to love their top players when playing at a discount and then when the players wants theirs, the tone changes.

They also treated Spezza like dog shit, and subsequently traded him for penuts too. Remember all of the Stastny and Spezza rumors?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They also lost patience with Zibanejad. Brassard’s good but they took an older, cheaper player because they just decided, like Turris, he just wasn’t worth it.

Boy, when I'm frustrated with Colorado. All I need to do is look at what Ottawa fans have had to deal with lol. Them having EK does not bother me either, because they didn't win the lottery to get him like Edmonton did with McDavid. That probably shouldn't matter but it does.

God help me if the Sens move to Seattle without being sold to a different owner. All those years hoping for an NHL team, only to have to wait for the owner to croak before I can stand following the team.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Holy moly... Bourne: If goal scoring stays up, teams risk overpaying UFAs...

For anyone that has access to The Athletic, that's a pretty interesting article about league scoring. I think I've seen a couple people mention wondering whats going on.

Here is a hilarious teaser

The point is, with everyone's point totals going up, there may be some GMs thinking they're signing Jeff Skinner, when really it's Joe Colbourne in disguise.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs don't have a lot of risk at the moment. Rantanen might be overpaid in the future, but he also might grow into a $6M/year long term deal. Other than that it's only Kerfoot who might be punching above his weight points wise. If Zadorov keeps growing Avs will have to pay him, but that's pretty much the point of a bridge deal to start with so it's a known risk.

Avs are in a good spot. Loads of cap space and not a lot of ways to spend it poorly unless they go for UFAs and since they got so burned on Iginla and Beachemin, they'll probably be conservative.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Avs don't have a lot of risk at the moment. Rantanen might be overpaid in the future, but he also might grow into a $6M/year long term deal. Other than that it's only Kerfoot who might be punching above his weight points wise. If Zadorov keeps growing Avs will have to pay him, but that's pretty much the point of a bridge deal to start with so it's a known risk.

Avs are in a good spot. Loads of cap space and not a lot of ways to spend it poorly unless they go for UFAs and since they got so burned on Iginla and Beachemin, they'll probably be conservative.

I wasn't really meaning that as a comment about the Avs. There is a legit chance the GMs around the league go a little loony toons between the cap increase, and inflated scorng around the league.

I do hope Iginla scared Sakic into having some sense there lol.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Mikhail Sergachev is 2nd in defensemen for goals with 8, and is tied for 4th in rookie scoring with 23 points while only playing 15 minutes per night.

It's obviously way too early to decide who won the trade, but man that could look ugly in a couple of years trading a potential #1 defensemen away for Jonathan Drouin

Im not going to wait a few years to decide. Tampa won that trade from the moment it happened.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What? You can get into a senators game for like 20$ a game. We had an AHL franchise here that sold out every night for 4 years and tickets started at $35. Mind you our stadium could only hold 7000 people but we also have a city population of 100,000 compared to Ottawa's near million.

Melnyk is an absolutely clown. He should be hated by the fans. But when a team can't even sell tickets to a third round playoff game that's completely on the fans. An I'm well aware of where the stadium is located and all that jazz but the simple fact is that Ottawa isn't a hockey city. It's an arts city. That doesn't mean there isn't hockey fans. They have many die hards. But most of the population couldn't care less about the hockey team. Any other Canadian city with an arena placed a little inconveniently out of the way would still make it work. It's hockey.

Ottawa is definitely not a hockey town I mentioned it just last week in the other thread. Still way to expensive unless, you're buying it off someone yeah, I've been to games for 30ish$.

It's not just the tickets that are expensive too.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
When the arena is in an inconvenient spot for the majority of the population, it's going to affect attendance. Most current arena projects are focused on being downtown.

These days it's so easy to watch games live from your home, so it can't be a big hassle to go see the game live. Sitting in your car or on public transportation for 40+ minutes just to get there is going to turn a lot of people off. When there is stuff to do in the area around the arena before and after the games, it helps sell tickets.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Curious, you wouldn't consider the uncertain future and arbitration process with Barrie as not a risk?

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Probably because many seem to think that Barrie is going to be traded before that ever happens. I'm not sold that we won't find a way to sign him like a lot of people, but it is rare for anyone who goes to arbitration signing with the same team no?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Rants at 6m will almost certainly be worth it once he figures it out, and I don't believe he's going to continue to struggle. By the end of his ELC that should be a fair price for him IMO.

I think the biggest contract to come out of this bump in overall scoring will be Kucherov. He's going to get superstar money after this deal is over.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Curious, you wouldn't consider the uncertain future and arbitration process with Barrie as not a risk?

It's not a risk in that Avs can't afford to re-sign him. If they want to, they can even overpay him and be fine.

It's a risk in that he might prefer to test free agency, but that was always going to be the case. This isn't something Avs can do much about except be proactive and get a feel for if he wants to re-sign or not. The sooner the better so you are not forced to trade him from a position of weakness, should you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad