2017-18 AHL Affiliate: San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
You'd have to think Eakins would be a serious contender for the Ducks job if RC is fired in the off-season, his AHL record is outstanding and has coached all of the young players that are on the Ducks (and likely a couple more will crack the NHL roster next season). Given the coaching landscape doesn't appear flush with lots of options for next season, I'd imagine it would be a no brainer type of move for Anaheim (assuming they are fine finding a new HC for San Diego) to bring in Eakins.

It would not be surprising to me if Eakins was coaching the Ducks next season regardless of how this one goes.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
RE: the Eakins discussion -- I still think it'd be a fairly ballsy move to name him the next HC in Anaheim. Sure, he knows the organization and is familiar with the youngsters, but I worry about his ability to transition to the NHL level.

From everything I've ever seen/read on Eakins, I've been left with an impression that he coaches with an über-demanding, authoritarian style that can even make him look arrogant/standoffish at times. This style works well on the youngsters who respect that and buy into that ideology, but a part of the reason why things went south in Edmonton was because the NHL roster completely tuned him out -- they never gave him that respect, nor did they buy into his ideology.

If they want Eakins brought up to the NHL, I believe he'd start as an assistant and then work his way up from there. That way, he'd be able to get familiar with the NHLers and thus work around that problem that he had before. And also, as the Ducks most likely try to get younger within the next few years, he could voice his opinions on some of the youngsters and their possible "fit" in the NHL roster.

Reactions: Elf
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
RE: the Eakins discussion -- I still think it'd be a fairly ballsy move to name him the next HC in Anaheim. Sure, he knows the organization and is familiar with the youngsters, but I worry about his ability to transition to the NHL level.

From everything I've ever seen/read on Eakins, I've been left with an impression that he coaches with an über-demanding, authoritarian style that can even make him look arrogant/standoffish at times. This style works well on the youngsters who respect that and buy into that ideology, but a part of the reason why things went south in Edmonton was because the NHL roster completely tuned him out -- they never gave him that respect, nor did they buy into his ideology.

If they want Eakins brought up to the NHL, I believe he'd start as an assistant and then work his way up from there. That way, he'd be able to get familiar with the NHLers and thus work around that problem that he had before. And also, as the Ducks most likely try to get younger within the next few years, he could voice his opinions on some of the youngsters and their possible "fit" in the NHL roster.

He's already been an assistant (and obviously a head coach), he probably doesn't need to do that again. He could if he wants but I sense his main focus is being a head coach, no matter which league.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'm gonna throw up if we make Eakins our next head coach. Apparently all the players hated him in Edmonton, not what I want here.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Edmonton has had a lot of coaches during their down years, and Eakins is considered by far the worst. That's not a good sign no matter how you guys want to spin it.
Considered by whom? The idiots who post on the Oilers board? Oilers management? Ralph Kreuger was a good coach for them - gone. Tom Renney, also good - gone. Eakins - gone. Craig MacTavish, terrible - gone now, but they kept him forever. Generally speaking, good people don't last there. McClellan is a good coach and I betcha they get rid of him after this year.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Considered by whom? The idiots who post on the Oilers board? Oilers management? Ralph Kreuger was a good coach for them - gone. Tom Renney, also good - gone. Eakins - gone. Craig MacTavish, terrible - gone now, but they kept him forever. Generally speaking, good people don't last there. McClellan is a good coach and I betcha they get rid of him after this year.
The players? The Oilers completely tuned out Eakins not long after he was hired. He tried to change a lot of players games (Yak, RNH) into styles that didn't work to their ability. I want no part of that with our young players. Let someone else waste their time with him.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Follow up on the injury to the Bako captain, Ryan Hamilton. He had surgery last night to repair two broken bones in his right leg. No word on how long he's out... it looked ugly.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The players? The Oilers completely tuned out Eakins not long after he was hired. He tried to change a lot of players games (Yak, RNH) into styles that didn't work to their ability. I want no part of that with our young players. Let someone else waste their time with him.
Yeah, cause they knew better how to get good results. Oh wait, they were miserable failures for years even with all their talent. But they still knew better. Yeah.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Eakins was working with a terrible roster but he had just as much of a hand in Edmonton's troubles as the players did.

I'm game for letting him work his way back up -- he's still young and he's had some good success with San Diego -- but throwing him back into the HC role is a big gamble and IMO is more foolish than our rehiring of Carlyle was.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Is that your only argument? Bad team thinks he's bad so that means he's actually good? What?
No. Try paying attention. A terrible team with terrible ownership and management managed to keep drafting top talent year after year. They gave the the future stars big fat contracts before said future stars ever achieved anything. Then the future stars whined about the coach and you decided to hang your hat on the reputation of said future stars who still haven't accomplished shit in their careers, even with McJesus.

So what I'm telling you is, stop confusing a bunch of 20 year old over paid prima donnas as experts on the quality of NHL coaches.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Eakins was working with a terrible roster but he had just as much of a hand in Edmonton's troubles as the players did.

I'm game for letting him work his way back up -- he's still young and he's had some good success with San Diego -- but throwing him back into the HC role is a big gamble and IMO is more foolish than our rehiring of Carlyle was.
By no means do I think Eakins is a savior. But I think the shit show that was and still is EDM had a lot more people responsible for it than just Eakins.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
By no means do I think Eakins is a savior. But I think the **** show that was and still is EDM had a lot more people responsible for it than just Eakins.
Eakins wasn't the only person responsible -- not what I'm saying -- but he was one of them.

All I'm saying is that we should check the guy out in an assistant role before throwing a HC job at him. I don't care how bad Carlyle is. His presence doesn't entitle us to get sloppy looking for a replacement, even if this is only pure speculation.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
No. Try paying attention. A terrible team with terrible ownership and management managed to keep drafting top talent year after year. They gave the the future stars big fat contracts before said future stars ever achieved anything. Then the future stars whined about the coach and you decided to hang your hat on the reputation of said future stars who still haven't accomplished **** in their careers, even with McJesus.

So what I'm telling you is, stop confusing a bunch of 20 year old over paid prima donnas as experts on the quality of NHL coaches.
McDavid and Draisaitl weren't even on the team when Eakins was coach.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Eakins wasn't the only person responsible -- not what I'm saying -- but he was one of them.

All I'm saying is that we should check the guy out in an assistant role before throwing a HC job at him. I don't care how bad Carlyle is. His presence doesn't entitle us to get sloppy looking for a replacement, even if this is only pure speculation.
Yeah, I know. I just wanted to separate my other comments from sounding like I'm 100% endorsing him.

Reactions: Elf

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
McDavid and Draisaitl weren't even on the team when Eakins was coach.

I didn't say they were. You said Eakins is terrible because a bunch of 20 year olds who where expected to turn the franchise around started whining while they played some of the most selfish hockey on the planet under him. And that's your sole stated reason why Eakins is just awful.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I didn't say they were. You said Eakins is terrible because a bunch of 20 year olds who where expected to turn the franchise around started whining while they played some of the most selfish hockey on the planet under him. And that's your sole stated reason why Eakins is just awful.
Care to explain where you're getting this from, and why you're assuming its the players' faults and not his? Eakins has proven he has trouble meshing with players. Eakins has not proven he is a NHL quality head coach. Seems pretty obvious to me why we shouldn't hire him.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Care to explain where you're getting this from, and why you're assuming its the players' faults and not his? Eakins has proven he has trouble meshing with players. Eakins has not proven he is a NHL quality head coach. Seems pretty obvious to me why we shouldn't hire him.
Look, your welcome to your opinion. I'm only taking issue that Eakins is a terrible coach because a bunch of young, underachieving whiners said he was. I'm merely pointing out that in a debate on what went wrong in EDM under Eakins, the people you are siding with (young, immature, overpaid, and selfish players with zero record of success in the NHL) have zero credibility in being able to evaluate what a good NHL coach is. It's not like they have been in the league long enough to know what a well oiled (pardon the pun) team is like. It's not like they have big league experience to call on in evaluating the coach. I'm sure Eakins was at least partially responsible for the lack of success. OTOH, you act like he was 100% responsible because some young, wet behind the ears inexperienced players said so.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Look, your welcome to your opinion. I'm only taking issue that Eakins is a terrible coach because a bunch of young, underachieving whiners said he was. I'm merely pointing out that in a debate on what went wrong in EDM under Eakins, the people you are siding with (young, immature, overpaid, and selfish players with zero record of success in the NHL) have zero credibility in being able to evaluate what a good NHL coach is. It's not like they have been in the league long enough to know what a well oiled (pardon the pun) team is like. It's not like they have big league experience to call on in evaluating the coach. I'm sure Eakins was at least partially responsible for the lack of success. OTOH, you act like he was 100% responsible because some young, wet behind the ears inexperienced players said so.
Still not sure where you're getting this from. Not sure where you're getting the "selfish hockey" thing from either, if anything thats another knack on Eakins because it's the coach's job to not allow "selfish hockey". I was mostly referring to incidents such as the RNH water bottle thing as to how he wasn't well received by players.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Still not sure where you're getting this from. Not sure where you're getting the "selfish hockey" thing from either, if anything thats another knack on Eakins because it's the coach's job to not allow "selfish hockey". I was mostly referring to incidents such as the RNH water bottle thing as to how he wasn't well received by players.
You don't think those guys were mostly playing selfish? Schultz was called out for it especially by people on this board because of his snubbing the Ducks. But if you read any of the threads at the time Hall, Eberle, RNH, and just about everybody on that team was a one man show on many occasions. They were treated like royalty by the media and management from the minute they all got there. And it went straight to their heads. Yes, they were selfish and didn't remotely play like a team. As Booger pointed out, they had other good coaches who were fired along the way as well, while the hero worship of the #1 picks went on.

Feel free to hate Eakins all you want, I'm not here to stop you, just to point out the fallacy of your logic.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You don't think those guys were mostly playing selfish? Schultz was called out for it especially by people on this board because of his snubbing the Ducks. But if you read any of the threads at the time Hall, Eberle, RNH, and just about everybody on that team was a one man show on many occasions. They were treated like royalty by the media and management from the minute they all got there. And it went straight to their heads. Yes, they were selfish and didn't remotely play like a team. As Booger pointed out, they had other good coaches who were fired along the way as well, while the hero worship of the #1 picks went on.

Feel free to hate Eakins all you want, I'm not here to stop you, just to point out the fallacy of your logic.
And yet, somehow, Eakins did the worst of all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad