2017-18 AHL Affiliate: San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Yeah, he just got a contract with the Iowa Wild for the rest of 17-18.
That's a little funny, as he was not dressed against them when the Gulls played them on Tuesday night. Best of luck to him with them for the rest of the season -- they looked, as I said, small but fast, and some of the grit he can bring may serve them in good stead.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Gulls sweep the back-to-back, result 4-1. Highlights here.

6-game win streak, 2nd place in the division! :handclap:

Reactions: HansH

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Gulls sweep the back-to-back, result 4-1. Highlights here.

6-game win streak, 2nd place in the division! :handclap:
Add to this, over .600 for the first time in a while, and effectively four points (with no games in hand) behind division-leading Tucson. That said, the division is still quite competitive, and a short skid could easily send them skidding back out of playoff position.

It's been interesting seeing different rookies getting time on the top line the last few games -- Fiore on Tuesday, Sideroff on Sunday. Not sure what the story is with Tropp - I hope he's not out too long.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Gulls host Condors tonight. Petersson called up, Holzer not here in time. Lines:

Kerdiles - Kosilla - Sideroff
Roy - Carrick - Fiore
Nattinen - Fehr - Boll
Liambas - Hults - Sabourin

Schultz / Welinski
Thompson / Oleksy
Megna / Larsson

Boyle

So, Cooper is either DEEP in the doghouse (to have Schultz draw in over him), or suffering an unreported injury, is my thought. Also, Tropp was listed as projecting to draw in on the first line, but didn't come out for warmups, with Sideroff taking that position.

Last edited:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Liambas kicked out of the game 3 minutes in, apparently for a headshot. I also saw this video of him destroying Marcus Sorenson over the weekend. Couldn't tell if there was head contact from this angle:

Also, here is Sabourin fighting from tonight's game:

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Gulls lead 3-0 at the first break. In the first 8 and a half minutes:

Fehr takes a pass that splits the D and goes 5-hole for a goal in the first two minutes.

Sabourin gets into a fight in which the Condors player never seemed to realize what was going on.

Liambas gets a major and a game for "head contact". On the ensuing major PK, Carrick scores a shortie off a spin-a-rama.

The Condors get called with a minute remaining in their PP. In the shortened Gulls PP that followed some 4v4, Hults scores a PP goal on the sixth Gulls shot of the game, reaching behind the goalie to tap in a loose puck.

Later, the Condors' captain had to be stretchered off the ice screaming in pain with a clear leg injury up near his bench off an unfortunate crumple from a Sideroff hit. From his reaction, I wouldn't be surprised if his season was over.

Reactions: Johnny Caravella

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Opak will have the summary and score links, but the 6-0 final kind of speaks for itself, with Boyle standing in against 37 shots to register the bagel.

With Tucson's loss to the Barracuda tonight, the Gulls lie two points out of first, with equal number of games played. A reminder - the Gulls and Roadrunners finish the season with three straight head to head tilts against each other.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I'm happy about Boyle. Liked the signing a lot. Maybe he can push for a backup spot.

@HansH overall how is the Gulls entertainment factor? I wonder if Eakins may be able to handle a NHL team. His record in the minors is quite good (it was before his time with the Oilers).

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I'm happy about Boyle. Liked the signing a lot. Maybe he can push for a backup spot.

@HansH overall how is the Gulls entertainment factor? I wonder if Eakins may be able to handle a NHL team. His record in the minors is quite good (it was before his time with the Oilers).

People actually do forget he was one of the hottest coaching prospects in quite some time, probably in my tenure as a fan, and with this latest successes and the fact that his failure was with the Oilers, I'm certain he has another shot coming soon.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I always thought he was very unlucky in Edmonton. Look how they struggle with much more talent.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
You'd have to think Eakins would be a serious contender for the Ducks job if RC is fired in the off-season, his AHL record is outstanding and has coached all of the young players that are on the Ducks (and likely a couple more will crack the NHL roster next season). Given the coaching landscape doesn't appear flush with lots of options for next season, I'd imagine it would be a no brainer type of move for Anaheim (assuming they are fine finding a new HC for San Diego) to bring in Eakins.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I think Eakins could be a good choice. What would anybody think of Trotz if he were available this summer?
Would be interesting an interesting choice that's for sure, but would have to think he'd be pretty highly sought after around the league if he hit the market. And surely Washington wouldn't be seriously considering firing him? Lost to the Cup Champs each of the last 2 seasons and lost to the previous season's Stanley Cup finalist in 2015. Would be mad to fire him I'd say.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Would be interesting an interesting choice that's for sure, but would have to think he'd be pretty highly sought after around the league if he hit the market. And surely Washington wouldn't be seriously considering firing him? Lost to the Cup Champs each of the last 2 seasons and lost to the previous season's Stanley Cup finalist in 2015. Would be mad to fire him I'd say.
I thought many were saying he was on the hot seat? Hasn't he developed the BB syndrome? Great regular season coach, can't win the playoffs?

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Opak will have the summary and score links, but the 6-0 final kind of speaks for itself, with Boyle standing in against 37 shots to register the bagel.

With Tucson's loss to the Barracuda tonight, the Gulls lie two points out of first, with equal number of games played. A reminder - the Gulls and Roadrunners finish the season with three straight head to head tilts against each other.

Statistics here, highlights here.

Reactions: HansH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad