World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
From what I have heard, they are changing nothing.

Mtv3 has a headline with changes will be made, if they are taking Laine of the 1st and that's it I'll lose my faith to this management :laugh:

Watched the USA-Canada game, our division will be more focused on speed&skill where as those 2 will bring up the physicality to their division.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Mtv3 has a headline with changes will be made, if they are taking Laine of the 1st and that's it I'll lose my faith to this management :laugh:

Watched the USA-Canada game, our division will be more focused on speed&skill where as those 2 will bring up the physicality to their division.
Oh?

I thought that only Aho getting a chance and Rask being on the goal were going to be the only possible changes no matter what.

Anyway, Marjamäki seems to agree with me somewhat as he said that Laine wasn't all that bad and there were many good things as well.

Then again, Marjamäki seems to be the most positive coach ever. After last night's match his comment was something like "I asked the guys what they thought about the game. They brought up many of the same things we had jotted down with the coaching staff. Smart guys."

How do you make there being obvious problems sound so positive?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Oh?

I thought that only Aho getting a chance and Rask being on the goal were going to be the only changes no matter what.

I have no idea about Laine, I just meant that hopefully those changes didn't mean that.

So they are making changes, any idea where Aho would be tested?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I have no idea about Laine, I just meant that hopefully those changes didn't mean that.

So they are making changes, any idea where Aho would be tested?

Well what do I know but as Teräväinen was pretty much Finland's worst forward and they had initially considered Teräväinen as the 13th forward my money would be on that.

I'd be really disappointed with Laine as the 13th forward after the first game is mediocre, they should be expecting that...

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
They brought Laine in for a reason. That reason is he is the scratch-off ticket for the big cash prize. Possibly our only one. In order to see if there's a jackpot you need to scratch that thing.

So you can be sure Laine is going to get his chances to show his stuff even if he seemed to struggle in these pre-tourney games.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
What are the Erik Haula expectations? Decent i.q with wheels is what I know, coming off a decent 2nd half season for Minnesota.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
What are the Ville Pokka expectations?

He will play on the 3rd pairing without any special team time. Around 12 minutes a game. Looked decent in the first game, could provide some offense from the back end. Hopefully he gets to play in NHL this year.

What are the Erik Haula expectations? Decent i.q with wheels is what I know, coming off a decent 2nd half season for Minnesota.

Limited icetime on the 4th line with some time on the PK. Looked good on the first game, caused some problems with his speed and provided energy.

ruhroh*

Registered Goober
Aug 1, 2016
ur place

I wouldn't describe his iq decent. Seems like a pretty dumb player on and off the ice. His speed and forecheck are impressive tho and that's probably what they expect of him.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I wouldn't describe his iq decent. Seems like a pretty dumb player on and off the ice. His speed and forecheck are impressive tho and that's probably what they expect of him.

Wild fans seem to give him credit for making the Niederreyter - Haula - Pominville line work offensively, and his good PK is obviously based on good defensive awareness more than just forecheck and raw speed. So I'm not really sure where your "pretty dumb on ice" might be coming from. "Decent" describes his IQ just fine.

Edit: Granted, on the same line with Komarov, with a pest role, he's not going to look like Einstein either. :)

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yep, they changed nothing regarding the lines. Just trying Rask this game.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Wild fans seem to give him credit for making the Niederreyter - Haula - Pominville line work offensively, and his good PK is obviously based on good defensive awareness more than just forecheck and raw speed. So I'm not really sure where your "pretty dumb on ice" might be coming from. "Decent" describes his IQ just fine.

Edit: Granted, on the same line with Komarov, with a pest role, he's not going to look like Einstein either. :)

Komarov is a very smart player.

ruhroh*

Registered Goober
Aug 1, 2016
ur place

Komarov is a very smart player, he takes very few penalties and draws plenty while being a great and frequent hitter, positionally sound and provides nice scoring from the bottom six.
He has puck skills and sees the ice very well.
Haula is more like Pihlstrom, another Finn with speed to burn but not much else.

MJJ

Oct 6, 2014
Haula is more like Pihlstrom, another Finn with speed to burn but not much else.

You can't even mention Haula's and Pihlström's actual hockey skills (so called "hands") in the same sentence. Both of those players get breakaway chances with their speed, but Haula can actually score on those opportunities. Don't know about their hockey-IQ so much, but I would guess Haula wins that too.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Komarov is a very smart player, he takes very few penalties and draws plenty while being a great and frequent hitter, positionally sound and provides nice scoring from the bottom six.
He has puck skills and sees the ice very well.

Haula has got ten times the skills of Pihlstrom.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Haula has got ten times the skills of Pihlstrom.

They are not even close to same kind of player. Only thing that is similar is their speed but even their skating style is completely different from each other. Strange comparison.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
They are not even close to same kind of player. Only thing that is similar is their speed but even their skating style is completely different from each other. Strange comparison.

Well he also called Haula dumb on and off the ice. That's pretty much 180 degrees off target.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
-3rd line has to be broken, I haven't seen them do anything in these last 2 games.
-Jokinen off the Barkov line, dragging him too much.
-Vatanen has been horrible, seems to screw every play possible.
-Korpi is a waste of a roster spot

So much work to do, still going with the 3 games and home guess.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Didn't check the statistics but Barkov gets wasted on the bench and Marjamäki runs the unit as it's our third line. Getting the usual "meidän kiekko" -wipe out of it all. Hopefully they roll the lines like having actual top and bottom sixes once the real games begin and this being just an experiment, but I still fear I might be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad