World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I still would like to see the lines I originally proposed.

Laine-Barkov-Jokinen
Granlund-Koivu-Donskoi
Haula-Lehterä-Teräväinen
Aho-Filppula-Komarov

Filppula plays a purely shutdown role, which I'm confident he can pull off. He wasted opportunities and simply can't shoot the puck. Haula brings speed and scoring touch to the 3rd line. Korpikoski can hit, that's about it. Aho can bring smarts and even great defensive play to the 4th line. The 4th line actually looks like a solid scoring line like that.

Jokinen is killing me on the 1st line, he was the worst one of the 3 and he's too slow for that line. Barkov shouldn't be carrying 2 wingers.

Should've picked Salomaki in to the team instead imo. A good roleplayer for that 4th line with Komarov and Haula.

It would be one helluva 4th line :laugh:
You wouldn't see a boring shift with
Salomaki-Haula-Komarov.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
I really don't want Salomäki on the team, he's too penalty-prone and it's the last thing we need going against the best teams in the world as there isn't much offensive input expected.

I also think Aho will get a shot, I guess in exchange for TT. I get that as they are similar player types, but I don't think TT was the worst of the third line. Lehterä got absolutely nothing done. I actually thought TT had the best offensive input of that line.

Jokinen-Barkov-Laine really should work better than it does considering past experience...Barkov carried that line.

Laine was pretty much how I expected, still unsure in his game with some flashes. But could someone outright tell him to stop doing that one between-the-legs trick or whatever, it doesn't work at this level.

Does Donskoi play RW?

Laine-Barkov-Donskoi
Granlund-Koivu-Jokinen
Aho-Filppula-Teräväinen
Haula-Lehterä-Komarov

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
Jokinen is killing me on the 1st line, he was the worst one of the 3 and he's too slow for that line. Barkov shouldn't be carrying 2 wingers.

I agree, but I don't know who else can step into that spot. Maybe Jokinen is just losing summer rust at this point, as is everyone else. I would love to think Aho was ready for that spot but it would be a very risky move. Maybe flipping Donskoi and Jokinen around?

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I really don't want Salomäki on the team, he's too penalty-prone and it's the last thing we need going against the best teams in the world as there isn't much offensive input expected.

I also think Aho will get a shot, I guess in exchange for TT. I get that as they are similar player types, but I don't think TT was the worst of the third line. Lehterä got absolutely nothing done. I actually thought TT had the best offensive input of that line.

Jokinen-Barkov-Laine really should work better than it does considering past experience...Barkov carried that line.

Laine was pretty much how I expected, still unsure in his game with some flashes. But could someone outright tell him to stop doing that one between-the-legs trick or whatever, it doesn't work at this level.

Does Donskoi play RW?

Laine-Barkov-Donskoi
Granlund-Koivu-Jokinen
Aho-Filppula-Teräväinen
Haula-Lehterä-Komarov

it will eventually

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I agree, but I don't know who else can step into that spot. Maybe Jokinen is just losing summer rust at this point, as is everyone else. I would love to think Aho was ready for that spot but it would be a very risky move. Maybe flipping Donskoi and Jokinen around?

Donskoi would be much better.

Also look at what this play would be like if Vatanen did a fake shot into hard pass to Laine instead of shooting straight at a blocker(Something he did like 4 times):

https://streamable.com/mjqc

If you want to talk about time and space, Laine had all the space in the world.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
I think Jokinen needs to be given more time, were still in the pre-tournament games.

Vatanen was fairly rusty today.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It worked vs Strolman.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He looked like that at the Worlds too, maybe they could try Donskoi there and have Koivu-Jokinen play more defensive role.

I'm hoping Marjamaki is watching this u23 team, their speed is going to kill us.

Juiceheice

Jul 9, 2013
Overall if you look past some terrible game (Vatanen) and a fact that some players didn't even seem to realise that there's a game going on (Jokinen), Im not too worried. It's still first game after summer.

We got couple games still to get diesel going.

Skill difference was kinda showing, but as always we play good as team and that's the only way for us anyway.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I only watched the game long enough to confim it was meidän peli they were playing but how about Rinne? He has quite the advantage in that his former goaltending coach is the goaltending coach in this team too.

Rask was the best goaltender in the latest Olympic tournament so it is bit of a shame if that has been forgotten already.

Half the time it wasn't our game but their game or hopefully someone's game. Messy but there's time to get it going. I'm not even so sure what it's supposed to be. Forechecking and counter-attacks? Possession and driving the play? Dogged defense to get a breakaway? Kinda saw the full buffet table yesterday. :popcorn:

Rinne looked fine to me. Not sure either goal can be pinned on him, and I liked some of the saves. But sure hope Rask gets his look tomorrow. And one exhibition game for Koskinen so the team is confident with all of them?

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
This meidän peli nonsense needs to stop already. The game they're playing now has practically nothing left from it. Which is a good thing as it absolutely wouldn't cut it today especially in the small rink.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
This meidän peli nonsense needs to stop already. The game they're playing now has practically nothing left from it. Which is a good thing as it absolutely wouldn't cut it today especially in the small rink.

Palm-palm passes? Lag delay starts? I thought those were there and Sweden was on the sail as long as I bothered to watch. After all it was first exhibition with NHL geezers. Going forward, hopefully they won't rebel against world-class coaching in matters of small match box like the 2010 gang which still features Timonen, Selänne and Koivu as hang-around members for some reason.

If there is tightly packed formation ahead of you on the ice then I would say meidän peli is pretty much desired to break it. I cannot think of a scenario where opening up space and channels while keeping off the penalty box could be more important. Defending with the puck.

The Leading One's intake: "Hard fact is that Three Crowns led the play all those moments when the Lions couldn't/didn't realize to play puck control."

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So if Aho gets ice time tomorrow who will he replace. TT and JJ were probably the worst forwards but maybe it's better to play them to get the rust off

No way that Jokinen gets removed. If Aho rotates in, I think it would likely be TT that gets replaced.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
So if Aho gets ice time tomorrow who will he replace. TT and JJ were probably the worst forwards but maybe it's better to play them to get the rust off

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the original plan was TT plays the first game and then Aho plays the second. Third game will be whoever was better but things change.

On side note i don't really like how Teuvo is playing the game right now. He has all the tools but seems really tentative. Aho isn't big guy but there's a certain toughness with him and he already protects the puck better than Teuvo.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

The Leading One's intake: "Hard fact is that Three Crowns led the play all those moments when the Lions couldn't/didn't realize to play puck control."

So the way to dictate the play on the ice is through puck possession. A failure to do so will lead to the opposite outcome.

hqdefault.jpg

This "Leading One" fella is genius.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Not Finnish, but I love Barky.

Finland vs Team NA in the finals please!

For some reason, Jokinen and Barkov just has not meshed well. Even in Florida.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm watching the Leijonat part3, I can't understand Marjamakis vision for
Lehtera-Barkov-Jokinen line, it's way too slow, and surpsingly lot of talk for Aho being on the 4th line with Korpi and Haula, but for the 1st game atleast it ended up with Korpi-Haula-Komarov.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any news on new lines.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'm watching the Leijonat part3, I can't understand Marjamakis vision for
Lehtera-Barkov-Jokinen line, it's way too slow, and surpsingly lot of talk for Aho being on the 4th line with Korpi and Haula, but for the 1st game atleast it ended up with Korpi-Haula-Komarov.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any news on new lines.

From what I have heard, they are changing nothing.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
The fourth line was real good yesterday. Komarov talks trash talk thru 30 different languages, Haula is a speedy and gritty two way center and Korpikoski is a speedy hitter. But imagine Salomäki on that line to be switched with Korpikoski. Salomäki-Haula-Komarov. Too bad it didn't happen since Salomäki didn't make it. That would've been a nightmare to play against.

Lets hope that Vatanen will keep his head up and actually give some passes for Laine on PP. There's a reason why Laine is on the left side and Vatanen is the QB in there. I'm not sure if Vatanen has realized it yet, but I'm sure Marjamäki had a word with the powerplay unit and possibly nod'd Vatanen about it.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Lets hope that Vatanen will keep his head up and actually give some passes for Laine on PP. There's a reason why Laine is on the left side and Vatanen is the QB in there.

I was thinking that maybe a fake shot and quick pass to Laine might be a touch more promising than a desperate shot through immense traffic that seemed every time to catch the first defender... But who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad