World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Test out Aho in the exhibition game against USA and see how he does on the small ice. If he stands out and plays much better than TT/Korpedo, give him a shot against NA U23 and see how it goes.

Also, for those of you who nit pick against Laine saying he didn't score against Rus and Can, remember that the so called future best player in the world didn't score against Finland and Canada in round robin, and managed to get only 1 assist against USA in the semi, same as Laine in the semi against RUS.

Laine didn't score in the gold medal game but he sure was close a few times. He certainly had a lot more scoring chances than most players other than Granny + Aho.

Not Aho. Nor Granlund.

Total in the 2 games vs Canada, scoring chances attempted and generated, with double points for high quality chances:

Laine:

Aho:

Granlund:

And bonus:

Jokinen:

Closest to Laine:

Barkov:

It's cool and all if you can score a goal or two in a game. However, for consistent results, generating a lot of scoring chances is far more important. One is treading at an extremely shallow level if they only look at points. Maybe one should try actually analyzing the games.

Admittably, Granlund did generate only 2 scoring chance points less than Laine in the grand finals. However, he was worthless vs Canada in the groups while Laine generated or attempted 7 chances there(3 high quality). Yes, you will say that Laine was 0+0 and Granlund had an assist. However, that was his only generated chance. In the long run, do you pick the guy who will generate or attempt 7(+3) scoring chances in a match, or the guy who will generate or attempt only 1(+1, goals or assists are always high quality chances)?

These stats are also one of the reasons why I criticized Jokinen alot and still am rather doubtful. If you play with scoring chance-generation machines like Laine and Barkov, how do you generate nothing? It's a shame that they seem to now be lumped together.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Not Aho. Nor Granlund.

Total in the 2 games vs Canada, scoring chances attempted and generated, with double points for high quality chances:

Laine:

Aho:

Granlund:

And bonus:

Jokinen:

Closest to Laine:

Barkov:

It's cool and all if you can score a goal or two in a game. However, for consistent results, generating a lot of scoring chances is far more important. One is treading at an extremely shallow level if they only look at points. Maybe one should try actually analyzing the games.

Admittably, Granlund did generate only 1 point less than Laine in the grand finals. However, he was worthless vs Canada in the groups while Laine generated or attempted 7 chances there(3 high quality).

These stats are also one of the reasons why I criticized Jokinen alot and still am rather doubtful. If you play with scoring chance-generation machines like Laine and Barkov, how do you generate nothing? It's a shame that they seem to now be lumped together.

This is the telling stat.

You need chances to increase your chances.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
This is the telling stat.

You need chances to increase your chances.

Laine is going to be just fine in this upcoming tournament.

I can't wait to see him on the PP point with Vatanen. Not even Henrik the King Lundqvist will be able to stop his cannons :)

:popcorn:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I can't wait to see him on the PP point with Vatanen. Not even Henrik the King Lundqvist will be able to stop his cannons :)

He's big, he's strong as an ox with a good hockey I.Q, and a bullet for a shot.

You set that guy up all game.

Booster*

Jan 10, 2016
If Jokinen is out however, Aho takes that spot and we have this neat line consisting of Laine-Barkov-Aho

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Selanne says that NHL regullar season will feel easier after World Cup, because there is better teams and higher tempo in World Cup.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
This is approximately how it went down:

— Pate left wing, Jussi right.

Jokisen-Jussi-kapteeni-e1430300076214.jpg

— but coach, you know how much I make in a...

_X4B0033__19814Sampo.jpg

— Laine...left wing....Jokinen... right wing

jussi+jokinen.jpg

32667962-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I am almost sure Marjamäki will let Aho play in 1-2 of the prep games. No reason not to try him in prep games. My guess is that Aho will play in the second Sweden game.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I am almost sure Marjamäki will let Aho play in 1-2 of the prep games. No reason not to try him in prep games. My guess is that Aho will play in the second Sweden game.

I agree and it wouldn't surprise me a whole lot if he ended up playing on the third line in the end but I don't see him moving higher than that.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

I do hope he gets some playing time. Really want to see what he has. If nothing else he is very entertaining.

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
It doesn't really matter, as long as Barkov, Laine and Vatanen play with the puck most of the time. Komarov and Jokinen should just be in front of the net.

Last time Barkov was infront of the net and Jokinen was (trying to be) playmaker

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I only watched the game long enough to confim it was meidän peli they were playing but how about Rinne? He has quite the advantage in that his former goaltending coach is the goaltending coach in this team too.

Rask was the best goaltender in the latest Olympic tournament so it is bit of a shame if that has been forgotten already.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Unbelievable. I'm compiling a Laine highlight video and I now saw 3 clips with Laine's good plays ending with Vatanen shooting straight at a blocking player or making a terrible pass when Laine is open.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Laine-Barkov- x
Granlund-Koivu- Donskoi
x- x- x
Komarov- Haula- x

Need to find the right fits for those x spots, but don't expect to see anything really.

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
Laine-Barkov- x
Granlund-Koivu- Donskoi
x- x- x
Komarov- Haula- x

Need to find the right fits for those x spots, but don't expect to see anything really.

I still would like to see the lines I originally proposed.

Laine-Barkov-Jokinen
Granlund-Koivu-Donskoi
Haula-Lehterä-Teräväinen
Aho-Filppula-Komarov

Filppula plays a purely shutdown role, which I'm confident he can pull off. He wasted opportunities and simply can't shoot the puck. Haula brings speed and scoring touch to the 3rd line. Korpikoski can hit, that's about it. Aho can bring smarts and even great defensive play to the 4th line. The 4th line actually looks like a solid scoring line like that.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Agreed. Korpikoski is terrible, there is a reason we bought him at the end of the year. He's a possession black hole.

Should've picked Salomaki in to the team instead imo. A good roleplayer for that 4th line with Komarov and Haula.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Should've picked Salomaki in to the team instead imo. A good roleplayer for that 4th line with Komarov and Haula.

Agreed. Salomaki would have been a great pick.

Hopefully Aho gets in next game, love his hockey IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad