World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Jokinen is awful with Barkov and Laine. I don't think he made a single good play today. Bench TT and put Aho in.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Well he also called Haula dumb on and off the ice. That's pretty much 180 degrees off target.

Haula is a very smart player. That guy clearly knows nothing about him. You don't become a shutdown C in the NHL without being clever. Haula is very sneaky and combines that with his speed and a great stick. Watch him get 45+ as he switches from an extremely conservative cooach who hated him to a players coach like Boudreau.

PlusMinusZero

Sep 19, 2014
Sastamala
Change the lines to this:

Granlund-Barkov-Jokinen(Lets be real,Marjamäki will keep Juice in 1st no matter what)
Laine-Koivu-Donskoi
Filppula-Lehterä-Komarov
Aho-Haula-Teräväinen
Korpedo

If those dont work then just swap it back,but I would rather play our 2 best forward so far in same line.And Donskoi is good playmaker so Laine would still get scoring chances.And right now Korpedo is useless so put Aho in.4th line would be soft but there would atleast be speed if these were the lines.

Last edited:

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Laine will need to make some adjustments to his game for the smaller ice.

He also needs to play more tenacious.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Granlund-Barkov-Donskoi
Filppula-Koivu-Jokinen
Laine-Lehterä-Komarov
Aho-Haula-Teräväinen

Bench Vatanen against USA and replace with Lepistö.

Realistically at least try this:

Laine-Barkov-Donskoi
Granlund-Koivu-Jokinen
Lehterä-Filppula-Komarov
Aho-Haula-Korpedo

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Got done getting puck action statistics. 5v5 only.

Good moves - bad moves = difference.

dump1 = from own end to mid, dump2 = from mid to opponent's end

Top 3 %s:

Komarov 85.7%, Filppula 80.4%, Donskoi 78.6%

Bottom 3 %s:

Jokinen 58.6%, Granlund 59.3%, Laine 62.5%

Here are the full stats for the forward lines:

First line:

Laine:

contested puck

5-3=2

received pass

9-2=7

pass

10-4=6

dangle

0-2=-2

shot

0-3=-3

dump1

0-0=0

dump2

1-1=0

total

40 actions in total, 25-15=10

62.5%

Jokinen:

contested puck

3-0=3

received pass

6-3=3

pass

6-4=2

dangle

2-2=-2

shot

0-1=-1

dump1

0-0=0

dump2

0-2=-2

total

29 actions in total, 17-12=5

58.6%

Barkov:

contested puck

10-6=4

received pass

5-2=3

pass

10-2=8

dangle

0-1=-1

shot

0-2=-2

dump1

1-0=1

dump2

0-0=0

total

39 actions in total, 26-13=13

66.7%

Second line:

Granlund:

contested puck

1-5=-4

received pass

6-1=5

pass

6-1=5

dangle

0-2=-2

shot

2-1=1

dump1

0-1=-1

dump2

1-0=1

total

27 actions in total, 16-11=5

59.3%

Koivu:

contested puck

8-3=5

received pass

12-2=10

pass

7-6=1

dangle

0-0=0

shot

2-0=2

dump1

0-3=-3

dump2

0-0=0

total

43 actions in total, 29-14=15

67.4%

Donskoi:

contested puck

11-2=9

received pass

8-2=6

pass

12-2=10

dangle

1-3=-2

shot

1-0=1

dump1

0-0=0

dump2

0-0=0

total

42 actions in total, 33-9=24

78.6%

Third line:

Teräväinen:

contested puck

5-2=3

received pass

5-2=3

pass

8-1=7

dangle

0-1=-1

shot

0-1=-1

dump1

0-1=-1

dump2

0-1=-1

total

27 actions in total, 18-9=9

66.67%

Filppula:

contested puck

12-2=10

received pass

8-3=5

pass

15-3=12

dangle

2-1=1

shot

0-0=0

dump1

0-0=0

dump2

0-0=0

total

46 actions in total, 37-9=28

80.4%

Lehterä:

contested puck

8-4=4

received pass

4-0=4

pass

4-2=2

dangle

0-0=0

shot

0-1=-1

dump1

0-0=0

dump2

0-1=-1

total

24 actions in total, 16-8=8

66.67%

Fourth line:

Korpikoski:

contested puck

2-1=1

received pass

5-1=4

pass

5-0=5

dangle

0-0=0

shot

0-1=-1

dump1

1-1=0

dump2

0-0=0

total

17 actions in total, 13-4=9

76.5%

Haula:

contested puck

3-1=2

received pass

7-1=6

pass

5-1=4

dangle

0-0=0

shot

2-1=1

dump1

0-2=-2

dump2

1-1=0

total

27 actions in total, 18-7=9

66.67%

Komarov:

contested puck

4-1=3

received pass

5-1=4

pass

8-0=8

dangle

0-0=0

shot

1-0=1

dump1

0-1=-1

dump2

0-0=0

total

21 actions in total, 18-3=15

85.7%

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Teräväinen-Barkov-Laine (Barkov needs Huberdeau&Jagr to his sides,
we don't have them,so i think those two should fill those spots)
Jokinen-Koivu-Granlund (make Granlund&Jokinen switch sides during plays to keep opposition guessing)
Filppula-Aho-Donskoi (Filppula takes the face-offs)
Komarov-Haula-Korpikoski (Haula isn't a winger,he plays best
when used as a center)

This leaves Lehterä the odd man out,which is unfortunate.

Keep the D same (i know Vatanen sucks right now,but when
the team plays better,so does Vatanen)

Rinne

1 PP unit F: Laine,Aho,Barkov,Jokinen D: Pokka
(Jokinen with Barkov&Laine 5 on 5 might not work,
but like last worlds showed,it works on PP,Pokka
is gret blue liner on PP,great passer,keeps the blue
line)

2 PP F: Granlund,Koivu,Donskoi D: Määttä,Ristolainen
(this forward trio is obvious,Määttä showed with the OT
winner he can score,so i think he should play PP,he has always
been able to pass the puck too,so i think he would fit perfectly,
its insane that Olli doesn't get PP time anymore in Pittsburgh)

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Actually, I think yesterday's match was quite promising - Sweden is a much stronger team on paper with an absolute world class defence, and we still had much of 5 on 5 play in good shape. Powerplay could be better and there is much sloppiness in our own end with high tempo pressure (not a good thing when the young guns face us), but I'm sure we shall improve in every respect.

(And am not that worried about Laine either - he looked already much more comfortable yesterday with clearly fewer mistakes and better movement.)

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
I think the 3rd line would work much better if Filppula and Lehterä switch places. Filppula is much better as a wing then Lehterä. But Marjamäki has made up his mind about Centers so it's a pipe dream.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Just a curious question.

Did Jesse Puljujärvi not make the team because of his knee surgery recovery or is his career now in decline because he was drafted by the Oilers?...lol

Jk on the Oilers drafting him part. Seriously though did Jesse decline on the tourney because of the surgery? Or was he not invited period?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Just a curious question.

Did Jesse Puljujärvi not make the team because of his knee surgery recovery or is his career now in decline because he was drafted by the Oilers?...lol

Jk on the Oilers drafting him part. Seriously though did Jesse decline on the tourney because of the surgery? Or was he not invited period?

He didn't make it to the World Hockey Championships team in the last spring, which I would think would have been an absolute prerequisite for appearing in the best-on-best team of WC. WHC is Important Business in Finland.

The reason why he didn't make that team then was possibly that he was at the time considered to be more raw than Aho and Laine, though many has been (mistakenly I think) attributing it to his minor injuries. Aho and Laine both making it was a bit of surprise really because right after the WJC's the NT coach was hinting of (only) one of them making it to the WHC team.

He might be good in WC, but alas, he got caught on the wrong NT railtrack going to the U18 instead of WHC, while Laine and Aho got to prove themselves on a men's tournament.

As for the Oilers part, in Finland we associate a smiling guy in an Oilers jersey to good several SCs hockey, so it's not that.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Just a curious question.

He just wasn't invited period :) The team already has a lot of young kids. Laine is there not because he's so much better than Pulju but because he has something that no one else can bring to the team, dat bomb. And of course he already proved himself at the World Championships.

As for Oilers, seeing our 2 wunderkinder go to Edmonton & Winnipeg, where our only 2 superstars Kurri and Selänne started.. how could we not love that :)

scud9

Jun 2, 2006
3rd line is a problem. I would put Filppula to Koivu-line, Lehterä to C (too slow as a winger), Donskoi with Teräväinen as speedy wingers (like Tarasenko and Schwartz). Laine isn't a problem. Korpikoski could be chanced for Aho.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Is this lineup the best possible for Finland, or are you missing any obvious roster players due to injuries etc?

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Is this lineup the best possible for Finland, or are you missing any obvious roster players due to injuries etc?

Well, 1-2 marginal choices, but otherwise this is pretty much it. Though we shall be considerably stronger in the coming years when our young talent matures.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
3rd line is a problem. I would put Filppula to Koivu-line, Lehterä to C (too slow as a winger), Donskoi with Teräväinen as speedy wingers (like Tarasenko and Schwartz). Laine isn't a problem. Korpikoski could be chanced for Aho.

Both the first and the 3rd line could be fixed by having Filppula as 1st line RW and Jokinen as 3rd line LW. Lehterä would then probably be the center but if Marjamäki feels he's too slow Teräväinen could do that as well.

Thoughts?

As for Laine, he hasn't played well but I'd like to see him actually be the worst player on his line before crucifying him.

As for the stats I posted earlier, did anyone find them useful or did they just end up being wall of text spam? I could post the ones for the defensemen too.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
He didn't make it to the World Hockey Championships team in the last spring, which I would think would have been an absolute prerequisite for appearing in the best-on-best team of WC. WHC is Important Business in Finland.

The reason why he didn't make that team then was possibly that he was at the time considered to be more raw than Aho and Laine, though many has been (mistakenly I think) attributing it to his minor injuries. Aho and Laine both making it was a bit of surprise really because right after the WJC's the NT coach was hinting of (only) one of them making it to the WHC team.

He might be good in WC, but alas, he got caught on the wrong NT railtrack going to the U18 instead of WHC, while Laine and Aho got to prove themselves on a men's tournament.

As for the Oilers part, in Finland we associate a smiling guy in an Oilers jersey to good several SCs hockey, so it's not that.

Had he not been injured, he would have been able to take part in the tests at the NHL Combine. It was obvious he was injured and thus wasn't in discussion for the Worlds.

gobbluth

Jan 31, 2015
I really don't understand the Jokinen bashing..?! People don't see how much work he does defensively. He does the most work on that line to keep it alive. The problem is that Jokinen needs to do almost double the work defensively than normally because of Laine who is always at the wrong place or just surfing. You guys should thank the lord that JJ is on ur team. Although I do agree that offensively barkov-jokinen doesn't work. But barkov-laine doesn't work in any situation. So I hope they switch Laine to someone else on that line. He is just dragging them down.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Laine is a deterrent, just by being on the ice.
Even when he gets a bad pass on the PP, the whole Swedish box turned to minimize his shot and pressurise him. Someone else is now free, that someone must step up, get open and hopefully Laine sees him, the booming shot, evolving into a sharp assist.
Being off the practice Games is good, hopefully he doesnt get looked at too closely and gets room to rifle in a few goals for us this tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad