Speculation: 2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Are the Finns this draft really as good as hyped? Draft years of Armia, Laine and Puljujarvi:

Player|Team|GP|G| A |P
Joel Armia|Assat|48|18|11|29
Jesse Puljujarvi|Karpat|50|13|15|28
Patrik Laine|Tappara|46|17|16|33

Armia went 16th overall...

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If we are 6th the chances of either PLD or Chych still being there are pretty good. The teams ahead of us are not going to just line up and take all the picks as we project. ISS for example has Nylander 4th, TK 6th and Chych at 7. We would have a choice between TK and Chych. OTOH maybe Oil are 3rd and take Chych. We probably get to choose between PLD and TK at 6th.

That's what's great about the draft, you just never know what will happen.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
In the "you never know" category, the Hawks pick could really be anywhere from 30 to somewhere in the mid to low 20's. He's likely gone by then (Mckeens does have him at 23), but if not, I'd love to hear others thoughts on German Rubtsov. I really like what I read about him. Not sure how 26 points in 28 games in the MHL compares to the CHL or NCAA, but it does sound like he is very good in his own end as well.

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-nhl-draft-tyson-jost-dante-fabbro-german-rubtsov/

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Anyone else going to head to Grand forks to check out the U18 tournament. I plan on attending the Canada game on the 16th.

As far as the draft. I'm warming up to selecting Chych if we draft outside the top 3 and PLB isn't available. I have liked what I have seen and he would help anchor the top 4 long term.

Chych Buff
Morrissey Trouba

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Anyone else going to head to Grand forks to check out the U18 tournament. I plan on attending the Canada game on the 16th.

As far as the draft. I'm warming up to selecting Chych if we draft outside the top 3 and PLB isn't available. I have liked what I have seen and he would help anchor the top 4 long term.

Chych Buff
Morrissey Trouba

That would be fun to actually observe some of the Canadian talent play live heading into the draft.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In the "you never know" category, the Hawks pick could really be anywhere from 30 to somewhere in the mid to low 20's. He's likely gone by then (Mckeens does have him at 23), but if not, I'd love to hear others thoughts on German Rubtsov. I really like what I read about him. Not sure how 26 points in 28 games in the MHL compares to the CHL or NCAA, but it does sound like he is very good in his own end as well.

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-nhl-draft-tyson-jost-dante-fabbro-german-rubtsov/

I doubt he lasts until the Jets' second pick, but I would love nabbing him at that point.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I doubt he lasts until the Jets' second pick, but I would love nabbing him at that point.

For sure not if the Hawks go far, but I guess it's possible if they are in the low 20's. I don't know a lot about him, but he would seem like a great guy to get in that range, especially if the Jets took a guy like Chychrun with their 1st pick.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Are the Finns this draft really as good as hyped? Draft years of Armia, Laine and Puljujarvi:

Player|Team|GP|G| A |P
Joel Armia|Assat|48|18|11|29
Jesse Puljujarvi|Karpat|50|13|15|28
Patrik Laine|Tappara|46|17|16|33

Armia went 16th overall...

Interesting indeed. Followed his 29 pt season up with a 18 + 20 = 38 pt season in his draft year. He has the same size as the other two Finns but not sure how much he has grown since the draft. I know he was a highly regarded draft pick but crazy to see the difference between his draft pick # and the projected #s for Laine/Pulju

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Interesting indeed. Followed his 29 pt season up with a 18 + 20 = 38 pt season in his draft year. He has the same size as the other two Finns but not sure how much he has grown since the draft. I know he was a highly regarded draft pick but crazy to see the difference between his draft pick # and the projected #s for Laine/Pulju

Maybe just maybe things can go beyond just the numbers

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Chych Buff
Morrissey Trouba

Enstrom - Myers for our 3rd pair. :handclap: A little expensive for a 3rd pair but if they are 3rd we have a strong D. :)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Absolutely, but they are being boosted a lot by the WJC. 7 game sample size. I don't claim to know the answer but I think it is an interesting question. And it isn't about how Armia has developed since his draft it is about his 16th OA place compared to 2 & 3 ratings for this year's 2 Finns.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/U18-roster-unveiled-for-2016-Worlds-pre-competition-camp

Canada will play a pair of pre-tournament games in Winnipeg, facing the Czech Republic on April 10 (9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT) before taking on Sweden on April 12 (9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT). Tickets are $10 and available for purchase at the MTS Iceplex on game day.

Roster here

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Team-Canada/Men/Under-18/2015-16/World-Championship/Camp-Roster

Ok this is cool. Any idea how we can find out who Sweden has on their roster? I would be curious to know if Carl Grundstrom will be playing in this game?

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com

I don't think he makes pick 20, if so it won't be much later. My best guess would be 14th to 18th.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I don't think he makes pick 20, if so it won't be much later. My best guess would be 14th to 18th.

Thanks for stopping by Mark, I appreciate it. I liked your comments on him that's for sure. Seems like a possible good centre prospect in the second half of the 1st round.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Ofcourse but what is the difference? The guys esp Armia and Pulj have virtually identical stats and virtually identical size. What are the Finns from this year's so much better at to be touted as "franchise players" who are a lock for 2-3 whereas Armia went 16th overall in his draft (and wasn't even a faller).

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
According to draft value trade chart, picks 26 + 35 gets you to pick 9 or 10. Hashtag just saying.

Edit: Jets always pick 9th anyways. So maybe they can pull a Boston and pick 9th and 10th? LOL...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I know that's the case, but what are the intangibles that Laine & Pulju bring that pushes them right up there to the top.

Compete level, physicality, defense, will to improve, skill, skating.

Laine has 5+2=7 points in 9 playoff games this year, just scored 2 huge goals today again to get the team tied from 0-2, he also scored the series winner on last round and Pulju scored the OT winner to make it 2-2 series and has 3+1 in 6 games, they also aren't sheltered at all, going against the best and that makes them more wanted than Armia, ability to step up.

Laines work from todays game,

And from game 3,

Against Liigas elite team.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
According to draft value trade chart, picks 26 + 35 gets you to pick 9 or 10. Hashtag just saying.

Edit: Jets always pick 9th anyways. So maybe they can pull a Boston and pick 9th and 10th? LOL...

I really doubt that 26 and 35 would get you 9 or 10, despite the value chart. This year it might be even more difficult to move up if there is a drop-off after the top 15 or 20 as some analysts seem to think.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Compete level, physicality, defense, will to improve, skill, skating.

Laine has 5+2=7 points in 9 playoff games this year, just scored 2 huge goals today again to get the team tied from 0-2, he also scored the series winner on last round and Pulju scored the OT winner to make it 2-2 series and has 3+1 in 6 games, they also aren't sheltered at all, going against the best and that makes them more wanted than Armia, ability to step up.

Against Liigas elite team.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next-ones-joel-armia/

Dug up some scouting reports on Armia from 2011. Pros were his size, skating and his goal-scoring touch. Biggest cons were his defensive game & consistency. Expected to go somewhere near mid-first, that's exactly where he was picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad