Speculation: 2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
This gives odds to the nearest tenth

1kTg0V6.jpg

Crazy how where you finish may be least likely where you end up. Almost 50/50 chance for number one to be 4. Yowza.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
In other words...

It is more likely that they will fall to 6th than it is that they will draft in the top 3.

And a 59.4% chance they draft in the top 5.

The numbers are right there--why are we always trying to re-contextualize them [mod]?

Last edited by a moderator:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
And a 59.4% chance they draft in the top 5.

The numbers are right there--why are we always trying to re-contextualize them [mod]?

Its the first time I saw that grid, didn't quite know percentage of dropping was that high. Dropping down to 6 may be a blessing in disguise, as then maybe we draft Chych who I think will be a beauty :yo: But I know we will be picking 2 and drafting Laine :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
The Czech team was (and probably still is, I assume) in Winnipeg. They were on the plane from Minneapolis to Winnipeg with a contractor from my work. Perhaps they're practicing/ playing exhibitions here in Winnipeg?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fortunately for Matt, he's only half-Tkachuk. He's also half-Ostir. And by all accounts, Chantal and her family are fantastic people.

"The sins of the father shall be visited upon the sons, even unto the 7th generation."

I know it is unfair but I really disliked Keith. My gut reaction is to extend that to Matthew. If we take him I will grit my teeth and try to like him but I would rather we take someone else.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You make some good points. I think Hall is probably the second best player on their team though... could fetch an excellent D man (which they sorely need). I still think Chia keeps Hall.

Depends whether he tries to make a strategic trade or two or to blow it up. I wonder how the lottery might affect that decision? Winning or losing could push him either way depending on how he chooses to view it.

I think the Oilers are in for big change.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Depends whether he tries to make a strategic trade or two or to blow it up. I wonder how the lottery might affect that decision? Winning or losing could push him either way depending on how he chooses to view it.

I think the Oilers are in for big change.

Should be an exciting draft.

Hopefully that big change is them not winning the draft lotto :sarcasm:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think I want this guy if he's still around with our late first/early second

simcity

Apr 8, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
This gives odds to the nearest tenth

1kTg0V6.jpg

This chart doesn't seem accurate to me. As an example the odds for the worst team are 20% for the #1 pick, but only 17.5% for #2 and 15% for number 3. The math doesn't add up. If the worst team doesn't get drawn as the #1 pick, it's odds to be drawn for the #2 pick should be higher, not lower, as a lower percentage team is now out of the pool. The top team would be no lower than a 20% chance for the 1st, 2nd or 3rd picks. The math throughout is similarly flawed.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This chart doesn't seem accurate to me. As an example the odds for the worst team are 20% for the #1 pick, but only 17.5% for #2 and 15% for number 3. The math doesn't add up. If the worst team doesn't get drawn as the #1 pick, it's odds to be drawn for the #2 pick should be higher, not lower, as a lower percentage team is now out of the pool. The top team would be no lower than a 20% chance for the 1st, 2nd or 3rd picks. The math throughout is similarly flawed.

The top 3 picks are in the lottery with probabilities pre-determined. The cumulative probabilities for the 2nd pick from lower teams are higher than for the 1st pick.

simcity

Apr 8, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
The top 3 picks are in the lottery with probabilities pre-determined. The cumulative probabilities for the 2nd pick from lower teams are higher than for the 1st pick.

That doesn't explain it. If you have a 20/100 chance at pick #1 and lets say the team with the worst odds (1%) got pulled as the number 1 pick. The odds for the 2nd draw at pick #2 would be 20/99 which would be 20.2%. The odds could be as high as 20/86.5 if the team with the 2nd best odds (13.5%) jumped ahead; 23.12% for the 2nd draw. However, mathematically in no scenario would their odds be less than 20% for any given draw. You can go to nhllotterysimulator.com and it shows the odds after ever selection is made and it is not possible for the top team to have lower than a 20% chance at any draw. The same mistake is made throughout which means the chart is not accurate.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That doesn't explain it. If you have a 20/100 chance at pick #1 and lets say the team with the worst odds (1%) got pulled as the number 1 pick. The odds for the 2nd draw at pick #2 would be 20/99 which would be 20.2%. The odds could be as high as 20/86.5 if the team with the 2nd best odds (13.5%) jumped ahead; 23.12% for the 2nd draw. However, mathematically in no scenario would their odds be less than 20% for any given draw. You can go to nhllotterysimulator.com and it shows the odds after ever selection is made and it is not possible for the top team to have lower than a 20% chance at any draw. The same mistake is made throughout which means the chart is not accurate.

You're forgetting that they have a 1 in 5 chance of winning the first lottery and have 0% chance of winning the other two if they do. This is overall probability for each seed.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

These probabilities are based on the cumulative probabilities before the lottery. If the #1 seed doesn't win the first pick the probability then jumps up for the next pick because one possibility has been removed. So the probability of a 2nd pick was lower before the draw because the #1 seed still had a chance at the #1 pick, and so on. These probabilities just show what the distribution of results would be if you ran the simulator a huge number of times. It doesn't give contingent probabilities based on a single simulation. So, for example, if you ran the simulator a million times, the #1 seed would win the #1 pick about 20% of times, and the #2 pick about 17.5% of times, etc.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
These probabilities are based on the cumulative probabilities before the lottery. If the #1 seed doesn't win the first pick the probability then jumps up for the next pick because one possibility has been removed. So the probability of a 2nd pick was lower before the draw because the #1 seed still had a chance at the #1 pick, and so on. These probabilities just show what the distribution of results would be if you ran the simulator a huge number of times. It doesn't give contingent probabilities based on a single simulation. So, for example, if you ran the simulator a million times, the #1 seed would win the #1 pick about 20% of times, and the #2 pick about 17.5% of times, etc.

The odds in that table look like the input to the similation, not the output.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Probably doesn't help the Euro prospects in the draft. What does this mean for Rubtsov, Abramov and the other draft eligible prospects on that team? Maybe opportunity ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad