Speculation: 2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup, no way they don't take Matthews. I like to think that RNH, Hall and Eberle could land a decent dman. I think Chairelli blows it up in summer, interesting to see which D's he targets.

Most likely. Move Draisaitl to wing. Move RNH and Hall for RHD. Yak for ???.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
odds of leafs trade up/down to get brother of nylander? they have sooooo many picks this year and next.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Sentimental pick? Tkachuk signed the offer sheet that served as a death-blow to the Jets in Winnipeg.

Also, while I don't think True North wants to be as closely associated with the WHA/NHL team as they are, I think there are old Jets that TNSE likes. I would be surprised to learn that Tkachuk is one of them.
From what I’ve heard of Keith Tkachuk off-ice antics in his time with the Jets 1.0 I would tend to agree.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Maybe it's because I haven't watched enough of Nylander this season, but I think I'd be quite disappointed if the Jets selected him over any if the top 3 defensemen.

And that's not a knock on Nylander's skill level, probably more on team need.

Oh, and then we'd have to endure a barrage of Nylander to Toronto proposals.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Chych is gonna be a great pick. I know I know D's are hard to predict, but if he's anywhere between Ekblad and Bogo than that's a pretty good pick up for EDM, I think they nab him at 2-3. Potential to be a franchise dman or be a second pair consistent dman, thats also someone the Jets could use, I know some expect more drafting that high but if we take him 5 or 6 Id be very happy.
Enstrom Buff
Chych Trouba
Morrissey Myers

That looks pretty good in a year or two.

Edit: So best case scenario if we don't get top three is EDM picking 3rd if we want one of the big fwrds:
1- TOR AM
2- CLB Laine
3- EDM Chych
4-5 Jets and whoever (Pulju or PLD)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As much as the pundits have talked about a top three being set in stone, it isn't set in stone. If the Oilers are picking anywhere 3-5 I don't see how they don't take Chychrun. Maybe even over Laine as well.

For that matter, the more info that pops up with PLD, I find myself wondering if Laine is good enough to take over him. Again. We could use either, but getting a two way center should trump almost everything else.

Very small differences between some of these players. I guess our scouts are going to have to earn their money.

100% true there is no way its set in stone. If it unfolds that way I won't be surprised but can anyone here say with certainty that the NHL teams picking at #3 will take Pulijujarvi ahead of PLD, Chychrun, or Tkachuk (or perhaps someone else)? It is far from a given.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Fortunately for Matt, he's only half-Tkachuk. He's also half-Ostir. And by all accounts, Chantal and her family are fantastic people.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I just can't wait until the main lists get released.

I've got lots of data pulled and projections made up, but other then the top 30 or so there's pretty much no details on rankings for these guys (IE: guys to watch for our 4-7th round picks).

At the back end of the first there's definitely a couple dmen and forwards i'm very interested in (tage thompson is probably #1 on that list provided he ends up being ranked that late due to his extremely favorable comps [thoughi believe theya re 2A heavy] and him being a US/NCAA guy [something the jets seem to have a good eye/hard on for])

but other guys i'm interested in that i haven't seen ranked really anywhere:

Frederic Allard D man, 5'11" 50% success

Charlie McAvoy D man, 6'0" 48% success

Vitali Abramov: winger, 5'9" 40% success

Nathan Bastian C/RW 6'4" 37%

William Bitten: 5'10" 33%

Tim Gettinger: 6'6" winger 30%

Hudson Elynuik 6'5" winger 29%

I'm sure i can find mroe but i just don't want to waste too much time if these guys end up being ranked in the 1st/2nd rounds

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Fortunately for Matt, he's only half-Tkachuk. He's also half-Ostir. And by all accounts, Chantal and her family are fantastic people.

Yea that is what I have heard as well.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I just can't wait until the main lists get released.

I've got lots of data pulled and projections made up, but other then the top 30 or so there's pretty much no details on rankings for these guys (IE: guys to watch for our 4-7th round picks).

At the back end of the first there's definitely a couple dmen and forwards i'm very interested in (tage thompson is probably #1 on that list provided he ends up being ranked that late due to his extremely favorable comps [thoughi believe theya re 2A heavy] and him being a US/NCAA guy [something the jets seem to have a good eye/hard on for])

but other guys i'm interested in that i haven't seen ranked really anywhere:

Frederic Allard D man, 5'11" 50% success

Charlie McAvoy D man, 6'0" 48% success

Vitali Abramov: winger, 5'9" 40% success

Nathan Bastian C/RW 6'4" 37%

William Bitten: 5'10" 33%

Tim Gettinger: 6'6" winger 30%

Hudson Elynuik 6'5" winger 29%

I'm sure i can find mroe but i just don't want to waste too much time if these guys end up being ranked in the 1st/2nd rounds

MCavoy is ranked in the last 10-12 picks of the first round on many sites. He seems to be the most well known name on your list and I would be thrilled if Jets nabbed him late. I don't mind Bastian and Thompson. So many on here watch the dub and I seem to be the only one talking about the Dub guys in this draft that have fallen in rankings. Benson is one of the better skaters in this draft and was hampered by injury, Howden is a character guy, has had a great year and is really playing well in the playoffs, Steel has fallen and seems to hover around our 2nd round pick but I still like him. Joe Hallenback or anyone else who watched a lot of dub, you wanna comment on any of these guys? I really think Benson or Howden would be very good picks with our late first or early second.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Personally, I don't seem the moving Hall. Probably RNH + Eberle + Yak will be on the move.

Eberle and Hall are both more debatable than RNH and Yak. If you look at what they have on D they need a top pair RHD and a 3rd pair RHD (or 2nd, depending who you ask). RNH can get you the 2/3 + but not the 1. Yak doesn't figure in value pieces. If they want a top pair D they will have to trade their pick or Hall IMO. Of course they couls also trade McD but that isn't happening or Drai. I think if Chiarelli has to choose between keeping Hall or Draisaitl he should pick Draisaitl. So if he wants a first pairing D it is going to cost him Hall. At least that's how it looks to me.

There must be tremendous temptation to go with Hall- McD - Eberle and a second line with xxx - Matthews - Draisaitl but that kind of lineup hasn't been working for them. If they don't get AM maybe their second line is Laine - Draisaitl - xxx.

I also think that if he wants to shake up the room and change the culture or whatever you want to call it Hall has to go. I'm not pointing any fingers at Hall but it isn't enough of a change otherwise. I think it is time for them to give up on loading up their top 6 with 1st OA picks and try to build a better structured team. For me that starts with moving Hall.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maybe it's because I haven't watched enough of Nylander this season, but I think I'd be quite disappointed if the Jets selected him over any if the top 3 defensemen.

And that's not a knock on Nylander's skill level, probably more on team need.

Oh, and then we'd have to endure a barrage of Nylander to Toronto proposals.

That alone should be enough to justify passing on him. Even worse would be the Nylander to Winnipeg for Scheifele and Ehlers proposals.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
MCavoy is ranked in the last 10-12 picks of the first round on many sites. He seems to be the most well known name on your list and I would be thrilled if Jets nabbed him late. I don't mind Bastian and Thompson. So many on here watch the dub and I seem to be the only one talking about the Dub guys in this draft that have fallen in rankings. Benson is one of the better skaters in this draft and was hampered by injury, Howden is a character guy, has had a great year and is really playing well in the playoffs, Steel has fallen and seems to hover around our 2nd round pick but I still like him. Joe Hallenback or anyone else who watched a lot of dub, you wanna comment on any of these guys? I really think Benson or Howden would be very good picks with our late first or early second.

All three of these guys would be good value after our second round pick(or maybe one there depending on if we fall back as far as 7-8 but I still hope there's be slightly higher guys)

Getting any of them after the second round d would be a coup

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Eberle and Hall are both more debatable than RNH and Yak. If you look at what they have on D they need a top pair RHD and a 3rd pair RHD (or 2nd, depending who you ask). RNH can get you the 2/3 + but not the 1. Yak doesn't figure in value pieces. If they want a top pair D they will have to trade their pick or Hall IMO. Of course they couls also trade McD but that isn't happening or Drai. I think if Chiarelli has to choose between keeping Hall or Draisaitl he should pick Draisaitl. So if he wants a first pairing D it is going to cost him Hall. At least that's how it looks to me.

There must be tremendous temptation to go with Hall- McD - Eberle and a second line with xxx - Matthews - Draisaitl but that kind of lineup hasn't been working for them. If they don't get AM maybe their second line is Laine - Draisaitl - xxx.

I also think that if he wants to shake up the room and change the culture or whatever you want to call it Hall has to go. I'm not pointing any fingers at Hall but it isn't enough of a change otherwise. I think it is time for them to give up on loading up their top 6 with 1st OA picks and try to build a better structured team. For me that starts with moving Hall.

You make some good points. I think Hall is probably the second best player on their team though... could fetch an excellent D man (which they sorely need). I still think Chia keeps Hall.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If the Jets finish 4th from last, what are the odds that they fall to 5th in the draft lotto?

This gives odds to the nearest tenth

1kTg0V6.jpg

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If the Jets finish 4th from last, what are the odds that they fall to 5th in the draft lotto?

I would be mildly surprised if 5th pick didn't give TNSE a shot at one of my top 4.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Chychrun could be at the tourney in GFK now. Sarnia was eliminated tonight.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
In other words...

It is more likely that they will fall to 6th than it is that they will draft in the top 3.

That is correct but it is a 60-40 chance they finish with a top 5 spot which doesn't suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad