Speculation: 2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Analyzing options for #22 is more complicated. What I've done is "fixed" the top-15 (based on McKenzie's rankings), and listed a group of players ranked below that, any of which might be in range at #22. I've put a very uneducated opinion next to each of them. Would be keen to see what others think....

Top 15 (TSN): Matthews, Laine, Pulju, Tkachuk, PLD, Nylander, Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun, Keller, Jost, Bean, Brown, McAvoy, McLeod.

Target Group (no specific order): Yes (Y), No (N), Maybe (M)

Fabbro - Y
Jones - M
Bellows - Y
Kunin - Y
Tufte - Y
Stanley - M
Rubtsov - Y
Asplund - M
Dahlen - M
Thompson - M
Gauthier - Y
Benson - M
Abramov - N
Girard - M
Steel - N
Clague - M
Dineen - M
Laberge - N
Hajek - M
Bastian - N
DeBrincat - N
Krys - N
Grundstrom - M

There are a lot of interesting players in this list, but I've only listed 6 as "Y".

What do you think about this list? Feel free to add other prospects that you think should be in the list.

McAvoy/Fabbro/Bean are naturals if they slip this far - we need a D & these all look promising. If they don't pick a C with their first choice, Rubtsov, Thompson or perhaps Kunin are options. I have little interest in Bellows, Tuft or Gauthier at this point.

Or... here's where they are very liable to go for a flyer on a lower ranked prospect that they are particularly keen on. No guesses on who that could be.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Brown is interesting: huge kid, good top end speed (but needs to work on acceleration - typical problem with big guys that Wheeler seems to have figured out), very good vision (head on a swivel), uses the body, mostly north-south type player, etc. Not a whole bunch of creativity 1 on 1, but seems to handle the puck pretty well otherwise.

Intriguing player. You have some inside notes you can share on him garret, either here or on one of your sites?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
In the absence of any sarcasm-indicating face-things, I'm going to take your post a face value. I love a good conspiracy theory as much as anybody, but really, now. Seriously.
All the evidence I need that the draft is NOT rigged is the Edmonton Oilers. Can you (or anyone else) seriously propose that the NHL WANTED the Oilers to keep winning it? C'mon.

C'mon man do you really think the NHL is going to allow the #1 overall pick to just walk into Winnipeg!:laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jost seems like his size would be in the Bryan Little range - Keller more like Petan, I suppose.

Jost is listed at 6', 195. I don't see size as an issue with him at all. Unless Crosby suffers from lack of size at 5'11, 200. Jost probably plays at about 200 if he is already 195. Just not an issue at all. If we fall to 8 or 9 he becomes a realistic option.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've heard some good things about Fabbro and seen him fall to around 15 or lower in some mock drafts on here, I wonder if we'd be able to move up from 22 to 15 and what we might be able to deal to make that happen.

We currently have these for draft picks in 2016:
Two first rounders at 6th OA and 22nd OA Pre-lottery, one 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th.

If we add our 36th OA from the 2nd round we don't draft again until the 4th round. At our stage of development I believe we have a lot of quantity and need the quality. So, I'd probably be all for the 22nd OA + 36th OA to move up to 15th if a guy like Fabbro was available. We could also potentially trade any one of our middling prospects or a depth forward like Burmistrov if it'd get the job done.

NJD sit 11th pre lottery. That low that is where they most likely end up. They are sadly in need of Fs as illustrated by he who shall not be named playing on their 1st line. They are a perfect example of a team needing quantity over quality (to a point, I'm sure they don't want junk). Assuming they don't move up in the lottery they could be interested in a 2 for 1 deal. It could be either 22 or 36 + a young player or both 22 & 36 or some other combination of assets.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really like Jost, and could see him as a good TNSE selection. He seems to ooze character and leadership, along with a very high end skill set.

If the Jets are in the #6-8 range and the top 5 go as expected (Matthews, Laine, Pulju, Tkachuk, PLD), then I think the Jets' selection will revolve around the following 6 (3 forwards, 3 D).

Chychrun - The big question is whether the Jets' scouts love him or not. If they are in the "love him" camp, he seems the logical pick. Scouts seem to either love him, or are lukewarm. Is he the next Trouba, or do they worry he's the next Bogo?

Juolevi / Sergachyev - If the Jets are really sold on one of these two, then I could see them going for it, unless they like a forward better.

Nylander / Jost / Brown - These three forwards might appeal to the Jets for different reasons. Nylander has a top-drawer skillset, and when he fills out he could be a dynamic top-6 winger. Is he Filip Forsberg, or is he too inconsistent to be a big-time scorer? As mentioned above, Jost might just be a new Bryan Little with a strong leadership character. Seems like a TNSE type. Brown might be the Scheifele type of "reach". If they see him as being able to enhance some areas, particularly skating / quickness, maybe they think he could be a real "home run" type of player.

If I were to take a wild guess, if the Jets have #6-8 (and neither Tkachuk or PLD drop to their pick), they'll go for either Chychrun or Jost. Chychrun if they are in the "pro" camp, and Jost if they don't like Chychrun.

Wildcard? Keller. Maybe if the Jets didn't already have Ehlers, Connor and Petan...

Good summary Whileee. I think I would add Juolevi to your last 2. To the "if they don't like Chychrun" option. Anywhere from 6-9 at least 1 of those 3 is pretty certain to be still available.

I can't see the Jets going for Keller with the similar players we already have. Bellows has a bit of that same vibe but a little bigger and a little less scoring. He might be a good one at 22.

I think in the unlikely event one of my 3 is not available then a higher ranked player has fallen to us again.

Edit: Looking at who we will be able to get, I'm really not too worried about the Lottery. The worst we can pick is 9 and the worst player we can be stuck with if we lose the lottery is 1 of Juolevi, Chychrun, Jost. It is either 1 of them or even better. :) All good.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Brown is interesting: huge kid, good top end speed (but needs to work on acceleration - typical problem with big guys that Wheeler seems to have figured out), very good vision (head on a swivel), uses the body, mostly north-south type player, etc. Not a whole bunch of creativity 1 on 1, but seems to handle the puck pretty well otherwise.

Intriguing player. You have some inside notes you can share on him garret, either here or on one of your sites?

I've read that he has a very good shot.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I'm swinging by to say they just might.

Would be very happy if the Jets "reached" for Logan Brown at 6 or 7. As long as PLD is gone already that is.

Finding it hard this year to get as excited as I was for Ehlers, Petan, etc. But really like Brown and PLD.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I like Bellows........ but I think he will be gone by 22. History wise...... I could see Minny taking him with their pick 15/16

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Seems that if you are picking in the #7-8 range and you're not sold on one of the top LHDs, the likely options are the trio of centers - Jost, Brown and Keller. Makes sense that for the Jets it's either an LHD that they like or their favourite of these Cs. That works for me.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
[mod]

Played the draft simulater 1 Phoenix 2 Wpg 3 Sens, that would be awesome T.O and Coilers out of top 3. Only tried once. Here's hoping.

Last edited by a moderator:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
no logic behind it. gut says that Matthews will not be the best player in this draft.
I think Laine will be.
Matthews will probably be top 5.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
no logic behind it. gut says that Matthews will not be the best player in this draft.
I think Laine will be.
Matthews will probably be top 5.
Unless Laine is Ovi or P Kane - the #1 centre will likely be a better asset IMO

Kessel and Wheeler are the #2 and 3 RWs in the league and they don't carry teams anywhere - few wingers do.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
Unless Laine is Ovi or P Kane - the #1 centre will likely be a better asset IMO

Kessel and Wheeler are the #2 and 3 RWs in the league and they don't carry teams anywhere - few wingers do.

Would you trade Dubois if we got him as a pick for Julison and Habs 1st and draft Jost or Brown

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad