2016 NHL Entry Draft - 12 picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Some good G prospects next 2 drafts. Wouldn't mind grabbing 1 of them each draft. Got Hart this year that I know of and then you got Dipietro and Skinner next year.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I think you'll see us taking forwards with our top picks in the next few years with a definite focus on good goaltending and defense in the later rounds. Especially if we happen to land Stamkos. Expect us to take 2-3 goalies in the next 2 years.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think you'll see us taking forwards with our top picks in the next few years with a definite focus on good goaltending and defense in the later rounds. Especially if we happen to land Stamkos. Expect us to take 2-3 goalies in the next 2 years.

Who plays defense? lol.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Some good G prospects next 2 drafts. Wouldn't mind grabbing 1 of them each draft. Got Hart this year that I know of and then you got Dipietro and Skinner next year.

I hope we take 3-4 goalies in the next two drafts. We have 12 picks this draft, and will probably end up with 10+ next year as well. Gotta start making it a priority.

Best case scenario, we end up like Washington where they produced Varlamov, Neuvirth, and Holtby over three drafts, which isnt a bad problem to have. If we only draft two, and neither of them work out, then 5 years from now we're still in the same situation as today.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
4th OA isn't looking that bad anymore. Dubois could be better then puljujarvi IMO.

4th OA should be pretty solid. Id be happy with Dubois or Chychrun at this point.

They look more solidly in the Marner/W. Nylander/Rielly tier vs the L. Schenn/Kadri tier of top 10 picks. They look like they have fairly legitimate shots of becoming top line players, even though theyre not quite borderline slam dunk picks like Matthews.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Are you guys not keeping tabs on Pierre-Luc Dubois?

How can you seriously pick Chychrun over Dubois?

It's evident you haven't seen what he's done this season.

I definitely haven't been. :laugh:

I'd pick Chychrun, but really know nothing about Dubois. Didn't know he had rocketed up the charts.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
My dream scenario if we don't pick 1st.

Leafs get the 4th pick. Talk to other teams, and find out 4-6 will be Dubois, K-Chuck and Willie Jr if they trade for #7.

Team at 7 really values 1 of them much higher (Dubois?), so we trade from 4 to 7 and get an additional 2nd and a 3rd.

Draft Chych.

Use Pitts pick (16) plus the assets gained from the trade down to move up and draft Serg.

Leave draft with both Chych and Serg without using any picks we originally had.

Leafs take Hart early second round.

Leafs add two top pairing pottential D men, both with size, and the best G in the draft all within the first 35 picks, and still having 10ish picks remaining.

-----
This would be my dream, prospect depth on the back end becomes amazing, we get a real top end G prospect, and we still have an extra second + all the other picks to look for more diamonds.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Are you guys not keeping tabs on Pierre-Luc Dubois?

How can you seriously pick Chychrun over Dubois?

It's evident you haven't seen what he's done this season.

It is just as evident that you have seen very little of Chychrun. Think about what it costs to get a legitimate 1D in a trade. Oh wait....you can't trade for one, because no team will part with one. Chychrun has a complete sound game much like Ekblad. He puts in the time to get better (see Futurewatch article), and he has tremendous poise. D take longer to develop, and to have a guy who can step into the NHL either right away or the year after is huge.
I like Dubois, but we have skilled wingers (You can say he is a sure fire Centre all you want, but is primarily listed as a LW and banking on him being a C in the NHL is not a chance I would take). He is big and very talented, but IMO not 4th overall good ATM.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Think about what it costs to get a legitimate 1D in a trade. Oh wait....you can't trade for one, because no team will part with one.
Sometimes: see Pronger, Stevens, Bourque, and Phaneuf (a ****** one but he was #1 for Calgary and TO). Teams will part with future ones. Chychrun is less of a legitimate 1D than Seth Jones, and somehow Jones was traded. McDonagh, Streit, Byfuglien, Johnson were all traded. Then there are borderline ones like campbell, JayBo.

Anyway, drafting for need, especially with goalies and d-men is risky.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Forwards peak so much earlier, people can get an idea of what that player will look like pretty soon. Defense takes a while to get used to at the NHL level, with such a steep development curve, Leafs should start loading up now in hopes of landing a top pairing guy who can some day play with Rielly.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs have to stop building from the Wingers IN and need to focus on higher priority positions of #1D and #1C.

Leafs need to draft the top C or top D as projected by Mark Hunter with this pick.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
All things considered, Chychrun still sounds more appealing than Dubois. But I'll admit I haven't seen either play.

I'm in the same boat, but reading through this thread, there are legitimate arguments for picking either guy at 4. We'll just have to leave it in the hands of our scouting department and management to figure it out.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I'm in the same boat, but reading through this thread, there are legitimate arguments for picking either guy at 4. We'll just have to leave it in the hands of our scouting department and management to figure it out.

That's exactly how I feel. When Hunter goes up to the podium to pick #4, I will think "I hope he picks Chychrun." But if he picks Dubois, I'll think "I trust him, good choice."

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Dmen drafted in first 6 picks since 2008 and their current positions on their teams

Doughty (1)
Bogosian (2-4)
Schenn (6)

Hedman (1)
OEL (1)

Gudbranson (4)

Larsson (4)

Murray (2) * Still developing
Reinhart (5/6) *still developing
Rielly (1) *Still developing
Lindholm (2-4) * still developing

Jones (1/2)

Ekblad (1)

Hannifin (4) * Still developing

Its a pretty safe gamble to select the highly touted Chychrun at #4

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK
Just spitballing here.
Let's say we end up 16th with the Pitts pick, 31 with our 2nd rounder, and 59th with Washington.

And say Columbus/Arizona/Vancouver has #7
Do you think a package of #16 #31 #59 would be enough to pry away the #7 pick to pick one of Nylander/Tkachuk?

All hypothetical.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Chychrun will continue to fall as the year goes on. He was ranked #2 going into this year, and I wouldnt be surprised come draft time he falls to 8th or later.

There should be concerns from a player that has continued to drop in the rankings. I mean look at a guy like Gormley, was suppose to go top 5 but he fell for a reason.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Chychrun will continue to fall as the year goes on. He was ranked #2 going into this year, and I wouldnt be surprised come draft time he falls to 8th or later.

There should be concerns from a player that has continued to drop in the rankings. I mean look at a guy like Gormley, was suppose to go top 5 but he fell for a reason.

Fowler fell from 4 to 12.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Who plays defense? lol.

this is becoming a very evident issue. We have Reilly and Gardiner. Maybe Zaitsev will make top four? I don't know, watching Soshy play
gives me some hope for a mature KHL import at the top of the league.
And that's it. I have not been blown away by Carrick like some people and the rest all look like 5/6 if we are lucky.
Dermott, Nielson and crew are years away.
Chychrun looking good for me if we pick 4th.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I am not sure if very high picks are required to find D. Seeing that Rielly is looking more like a #1D, Gardiner as a good #3 ( never mind our prospects), we probably also have a chance of acquiring a defender with our 2017 pick as well.

2017 though, and then another 2-5 years of maturing to find out what we have.

I'm really happy with the defense we do have, but worried about the holes we have as well.

There is nothing scary about taking a defenseman high. Pietrangelo, Ekblad, Doughty, Rielly, OEL, Lindholm etc etc

Some underwhelmed like Schenn, Bogosian etc but you can point to forward disappointments too. Guys like Subban, Weber and Keith were found in the 2nd round but so was ROR, Stastny etc. Gems can be found everywhere with good drafting and development.

this is becoming a very evident issue. We have Reilly and Gardiner. Maybe Zaitsev will make top four? I don't know, watching Soshy play
gives me some hope for a mature KHL import at the top of the league.
And that's it. I have not been blown away by Carrick like some people and the rest all look like 5/6 if we are lucky.
Dermott, Nielson and crew are years away.
Chychrun looking good for me if we pick 4th.

I hope Zaitsev becomes a top 4 for us. Personally (if) he gets signed I am expecting a 3rd pairing guy who gets PP minutes to start. I could see his role growing as the year goes on if he gets comfortable.

I share the sentiment on Dermott, Nielsen etc being years away. Harrington, Percy, Loov, and Carrick along with lesser lights like Corrado and Marincin are all bottom pairing or 7th defenseman types. Not that it isn't important but you need a good defense to win a championship.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
You can always trade for a need if one aspect of your organization is deep. The Leafs will have lots of forward skill to trade for a dman if need be, ala the Johansen/Jones trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00