2016 NHL Entry Draft - 12 picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
So a greater chance they will pick in the top 3 than 4th.

I'm not sure there is a huge difference between 3-4 anyway.

Final rankings are going to be interesting, the WJC hype will have cooled.

That's a good point. It's human tendency to categorize everything into neat groups. The two Finns are similar in size, age and accomplishments, not to mention nationality. I can see why everyone would want to group those two together. Are Laine and Puljujarvi both deserving of being grouped with Matthews to make a Big 3? Maybe, maybe not. Whatever the answer, I can't help but wonder if the WJC had a hand in grouping those two together.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
The Leafs could just as easily pick a guy like Kunin with their Pittsburgh pick, have him play in the NCAA for the 4 years and then worry about fitting him into the 50 contract limit. I'm not sure if Keller and Bellows are following the NCAA route but if the goal is to stockpile as many assets for the inevitable homerun, staggering when they're on the team could be an effective strategy/alternative to packaging up latter round picks to move up the draft. I also look forward to the Leafs dropping the dead weight prospects... hopefully it won't be another Grabner situation and instead we pick up a guy who can contribute.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Thanks Duthie, for telling us something we knew since the beginning of the season.

Honestly when this smiling goof comes on tv I can't even watch, or I put him on mute until he defers to Mackenzie or someone else.

Such an annoying tool

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Age and Primary Points in the CHL

Name/Age/Primary Points
Labanc 19.8 94
Garland 19.5 93
Marner 18.4 85
Dvorak 19.6 82
Hunt 19.8 82
Hawryluk 19.7 82
Perron 19.4 81
Amadio 19.3 80
Brooks 19.4 80
D'Aoust 19.5 78
Mangiapane 19.4 78
Dubois 17.2 75

All of the players ahead of Dubois in primary points except for one (Marner) are more than two years older than Dubois.
probably should look at a per game basis considering top guys miss time for NHL training camp and WJC. Going by per game he's behind Strome by a bit per game, and about the same level as Debrincat, Konecny, Meier and Beauvillier. Still impressive.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Matthews > Puljujarvi > Laine > me smashing my TV during Lottery

Then with PIT pick hoping for Logan Stanley. 6'7" D man is a beast, loved what I've seen from him in Windsor this year.

I'm an OHL heavy viewer so with all due respect to players outside that league, two OHL'ers that I've noticed that are ranked way too low are Jordan Kyrou (Sarnia) & Tye Felhaber (Saginaw). Get them in the mid-rounds!

Also Evan Cormier would be a keeper worth targeting. I have trouble projecting where goaltenders will go though so tough to say if he's worth the pick it would take.

DevinH2004

Nov 29, 2009
Matthews > Puljujarvi > Laine > me smashing my TV during Lottery

Then with PIT pick hoping for Logan Stanley. 6'7" D man is a beast, loved what I've seen from him in Windsor this year.

I'm an OHL heavy viewer so with all due respect to players outside that league, two OHL'ers that I've noticed that are ranked way too low are Jordan Kyrou (Sarnia) & Tye Felhaber (Saginaw). Get them in the mid-rounds!

Also Evan Cormier would be a keeper worth targeting. I have trouble projecting where goaltenders will go though so tough to say if he's worth the pick it would take.

I really enjoy Kyrou's game as well. To be honest I think one of the reasons he's overlooked is because Sarnia as a whole has had some odd scoring troubles this year. If he's on an offensive powerhouse of a team, getting more points, I think he jumps up the rankings.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
He does prefer and plays the right side and he has a rocket from the point so having him on his off side makes sense by the way Chychrun is the answer to me and almost hope we get put in this position because he is really something

Chychrun plays the LEFT side almost exclusively. Occasionally he will switch with his defence partner Jeff King ( a right handed shot ) during the PP ( when Chychrun isn't playing forward on the PP) but that's the extent of it.

Now that his shoulder looks like its fully healed he has been playing a lot better for the Sting. Nice to see him get awarded defenceman of the month in the O for February. (That should shut up some of the naysayers but there are a lot of them that think they know more than the guys at the league.)

If the Leafs end up with the 4th pick I'd like to see them draft Chychrun ( IMO he could go as high as 3 depending on where Edmonton drafts). Having said that, I've seen Mark Hunter at the RBC watching Sting games and he seems to get quite animated waving his hands when Chychrun makes a questionable decision on the ice. Not sure if he's a big fan or not.

My guess would be that if the Leafs pick at 4 and Tkachuk is available ( and he's Still rated at 4 ) that's the guy the Leafs would go with. I believe this based on the fact that 1)Hunter has an intimate knowledge of the player, and 2) he has already picked him in the past,AND 3) he has shown how well he can play with Mitch Marner. If Tkachuk falls to 6 or lower I could see the Hunter possibly going with someone else.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Chychrun plays the LEFT side almost exclusively. Occasionally he will switch with his defence partner Jeff King ( a right handed shot ) during the PP ( when Chychrun isn't playing forward on the PP) but that's the extent of it.

Now that his shoulder looks like its fully healed he has been playing a lot better for the Sting. Nice to see him get awarded defenceman of the month in the O for February. (That should shut up some of the naysayers but there are a lot of them that think they know more than the guys at the league.)

If the Leafs end up with the 4th pick I'd like to see them draft Chychrun ( IMO he could go as high as 3 depending on where Edmonton drafts). Having said that, I've seen Mark Hunter at the RBC watching Sting games and he seems to get quite animated waving his hands when Chychrun makes a questionable decision on the ice. Not sure if he's a big fan or not.

My guess would be that if the Leafs pick at 4 and Tkachuk is available ( and he's Still rated at 4 ) that's the guy the Leafs would go with. I believe this based on the fact that 1)Hunter has an intimate knowledge of the player, and 2) he has already picked him in the past,AND 3) he has shown how well he can play with Mitch Marner. If Tkachuk falls to 6 or lower I could see the Hunter possibly going with someone else.

Meh it's more Dvo and Marner play exceptionally well together and Tkachuk is good enough to keep up. I'd cry if we picked him 4th

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This thread is well over 1000 posts, aren't there sirens going off somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00