2016 NHL Entry Draft - 12 picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
You don't think (if the Oilers drafted #2,3) they wouldn't swap with Winnipeg for Trouba and draft Chychrun? Winnipeg gets Laine?

No I don't think so - they will keep on making same mistake again and again

I am not sure how different things are Chiarelli but remember he has made some blunders in his tenure with Bruins. He was lucky with Kessel trade as no one knew that the Leafs will finish 2nd last that year (it was unexpected)

If they win 4th that's another story

Last edited:

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
TOR 1st - F Auston Matthews (F Patrik Laine)
PIT 1st - F Clayton Keller (D Charlie McAvoy)
TOR 2nd - F Jonathan Dahlen (F Vitali Abramov)
WAS 2nd - D Cam Dineen (D Samuel Girard)
TOR 3rd - F Taylor Raddish (F Adam Mascherin)
NJD 3rd - F Cameron Morrison (D Victor Mete)
TOR 4th - F Yegor Korshkov (F Jesper Bratt)
COL 4th - G Mikhail Berdin (G Jack LaFontaine)
TOR 5th - D Adam Fox (G Veini Vehvilainen)
TOR 6th - F Brayden Burke (D Lukas Karlsson)
STL 6th - F Henrik Borgstrom (F Mikhail Maltsev)
TOR 7th - F Cliff Pu (F Ty Ronning)

Last edited:

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Interesting period on SN for the draft eligible Spitfires! A bit of good and a bit of bad...

Sergachev took a hit with the puck in his own end that led to a Frontenacs goal. Didn't show a ton of emotion to get back up and battle and eventually knocked a loose puck in the slot weakly to the blue line and the D-man Desroches put it through a screen into the net. The good was he showed good poise with the puck throughout the rest of the period and we saw his big shot on display a few times, one almost leading to a rebound goal. I'm a big Sergachev fan but I've seen better periods out of him.

Stanley was the most impressive Spitfire draft eligible in the first, saw his poise and skating on display, and some physical play with a big hit in the neutral zone. Loved seeing him lead the rush in the mid-first too. He's come a long way this season.

Brown was the least noticeable to me in the first, but I think he had a good period. Saw his puck protection and cycling skills on display and his line hemmed Kingston in for a while. You can see he keeps his head up and is looking for passing lanes while protecting the puck so that's a positive. Like his game as I think it will translate to the next level pretty well.

Good first period overall! Go Fronts

Our 6th round pick from 2015. Desroches

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Are you guys not keeping tabs on Pierre-Luc Dubois?

How can you seriously pick Chychrun over Dubois?

It's evident you haven't seen what he's done this season.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Last I remember (around January), it was the Big 3 of Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi. I haven't followed since.

Can anyone explain why or how Dubois has just come out of nowhere to be a candidate for #4? Has he done something incredible in the last month or two, or is it a case of finally getting noticed?

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Last I remember (around January), it was the Big 3 of Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi. I haven't followed since.

Can anyone explain why or how Dubois has just come out of nowhere to be a candidate for #4? Has he done something incredible in the last month or two, or is it a case of finally getting noticed?

Dubois has consistently been rated between 5 and 10.

The level of maturity in his game and his offensive production since November has been off the charts.

His showing at the Top Prospects game also helps his cause.

He came into the season as a winger and has now converted into a centre.

The guy can be a Dylan Larkin/Sean Monahan for a lucky team.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Picking the inferior prospect will set us back.

We didn't suck the whole season to come out of this with a 2nd pairing defenceman.

Inferior in your opinion though. Aside from smarts, the number one thing to look for in a defenseman is his skating. Chychrun has both alongside many other traits. Plus he's NHL ready. The question mark with him is assessing whether or not there's lingering issues with his shoulder and I would think that Hunter would be in the know.

That shouldn't take away from Dubois any bit.

Also would like to know what the attitude is around kunin, and bellows. Taking the NCAA route can help the Leafs flirt with the 50-contract limit.

Last edited:

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
At first I was skeptical about Dubois because I don't pay much attention to the qmjhl, but after watching him I realized how do you not take this guy at 4. IMO you don't ever draft dmen that high, the talent is evident there with forwards like dubois. Save our 2nd first rounder for Dman if a top tier one is still available. it's just my opinion you take the overall better skater, passer, shooter, etc. just like last year when they took Marner over hanifin. Too much red flags around chychrun for me

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
At first I was skeptical about Dubois because I don't pay much attention to the qmjhl, but after watching him I realized how do you not take this guy at 4. IMO you don't ever draft dmen that high, the talent is evident there with forwards like dubois. Save our 2nd first rounder for Dman if a top tier one is still available. it's just my opinion you take the overall better skater, passer, shooter, etc. just like last year when they took Marner over hanifin. Too much red flags around chychrun for me

This.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Are you guys not keeping tabs on Pierre-Luc Dubois?

How can you seriously pick Chychrun over Dubois?

It's evident you haven't seen what he's done this season.

Because Chychrun is the better talent in the eyes of most?

He has become so underrated. I have been tracking Chychrun and watching him live all year, he plays a game very resemblant of a Pietrangelo/Suter type, and this organization needs that player much more than a Dubois type. Wouldn't be mad if we took him, but seeing as though there are question marks of whether he can be a center at the NHL level and my personal ranking of Chychrun as the third best player in the draft makes me believe he is the better option at 4.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
I have been tracking Chychrun and watching him live all year, he plays a game very resemblant of a Pietrangelo/Suter type, and this organization needs that player much more than a Dubois type.
Chychrun is an *insert two established NHL 1Ds.*
Dubois is a 17-year-old junior player.
QED

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Dubois is easily the 4th best prospect in this draft if not 3rd

His upside is enormous, 2 way forward who has a great shot release and playmaking ability, add to that not afraid to use his size, very good skater + very responsible defensively. He doesn't even turn 18 until draft day.

Marner - Dubois would be incredible to watch as one pair and then Nylander with a JVR-Kapanen

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If nothing else we're going to have some nice options. Would probably go with either Dubois or Chychrun. Get another top notch forward to add to the mix or a really skilled D. Certainly could use a few more of those too.

Well sadly until Hunter puts his list on the internet, we're kind of left debating from other sources of information....

That kind of answer is the "no duh" of responses to this topic. He's the one making the choice on who to pick. But since he's not hanging out on this board, that's not an option to discuss from. Might as well shut down a message board at that point. "Who should we pick up on July 1st?" "Whoever the management group likes." Well, that's stimulating discussion material.

Where did I say people shouldn't discuss?

I just said it's comical to read how many people in here have passionate opinions on something they are most likely fairly ignorant about.

But maybe I'm out of line, maybe some people are criss crossing the globe watching these guys play to form their opinions.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
TOR 1st - F Auston Matthews (F Patrik Laine)
PIT 1st - F Clayton Keller (D Charlie McAvoy)
TOR 2nd - F Jonathan Dahlen (F Vitali Abramov)
WAS 2nd - D Cam Dineen (D Samuel Girard)
TOR 3rd - F Taylor Raddish (F Adam Mascherin)
NJD 3rd - F Cameron Morrison (D Victor Mete)
TOR 4th - F Yegor Korshkov (F Jesper Bratt)
COL 4th - G Mikhail Berdin (G Jack LaFontaine)
TOR 5th - D Adam Fox (G Veini Vehvilainen)
TOR 6th - F Brayden Burke (D Lukas Karlsson)
STL 6th - F Henrik Borgstrom (F Mikhail Maltsev)
TOR 7th - F Cliff Pu (F Ty Ronning)

Clayton Keller will be a treat to watch in Windsor next year. I like Logan Brown at the Pens' pick, but if Keller was on the board, I would take him first.

Keller has Marner-like skills. I'm not saying he's a top 5 pick, but you're talking about a kid with mega-elite vision and passing ability.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
4th OA isn't looking that bad anymore. Dubois could be better then puljujarvi IMO.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
when your looking at a forward prospects skills, you consider his stick handling and puck work, his dekes and dangles, can he get by players with the puck through all 3 zones, his passing and vision, his shot, and his skating, its smoothness and speed.....then u give them a number from 1 to 5, ranging from below avg-average-good-great-elite

where do u people see elite dynamic skills from dubois? i see very good skills all around which is great...hes a good skater but hes not gonna explode down a rink like puljujarvi...he doesnt consistently dance the puck through 3 zones with elite puck skills and speed, doesnt dangle and deke by ppl like marner/matthews/strome...his passing is very good but not elite...he can shoot the puck but hes not some laine like sniper...wtf, u look for elite skills like matthews, eichel, marner even strome when ur this high, like i saw elite skills from strome whom is about dubois size, u cant say u see the same skillset from dubois...u dont look for very good-great skills this high

hes being rated in the 5-12 range, averaging out around the 7-8th pick for a reason...am i missing something, do u see elite stuff from dubois cus i dont

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
still wonder if it's a good idea taking a 6'6 forward in the 1st round. There's a reason pro forwards aren't giants.

looks like he can stick handle a bit when he's got space but a lot of the NHL is playing in traffic and I could see him struggling with the stuff that takes lightning quick stick-work. And that is a lot of stuff.

Bjugstad, Boyle, Jimmy Hayes and Nik Antropov (former Toronto picks).

Not sure every great NHL player can stickhandle in a phone booth.

(there's also this Sundin guy)

Last edited:

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
TOR 1st Auston Matthews C
PITT 1st Dante Fabbro RHD
TOR 2nd Nathan Bastian C
WASH 2nd Jakob Cederholm D
TOR 3rd Evan Fitzpatrick G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad