2016 NHL Entry Draft - 12 picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Sitting VIP at the Spits/Fronts this afternoon. Hoping to see Brownie keep his offensive surge going, and a big game outta Serga.

Regsauceleafs

Jun 13, 2015
A guy flying under the radar for me is Adam mascherin of the Kitchener Rangers! He's 5'09 but 200lbs, he has 34 goals, 42 assists for 76 points in 57 games. He would be a big target with our 2nd round pick. Watched him a lot and has a great shot, he's a hidden gem for me

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
A guy flying under the radar for me is Adam mascherin of the Kitchener Rangers! He's 5'09 but 200lbs, he has 34 goals, 42 assists for 76 points in 57 games. He would be a big target with our 2nd round pick. Watched him a lot and has a great shot, he's a hidden gem for me

Really like what I saw of him, the two games I was in the building for. Works hard, too.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
If we end up with 4th and EDM ends up with 2nd or 3rd, do you think we end up with one of the Finns?
I can't see them picking another forward. If they keep the pick you have to think they would go with Chychrun, or would they draft a Finn and trade others?

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
1. Auston Matthews (C)
16. Clayton Keller (W)
31. Vitali Abramov (W)
58. Jonathan Dahlen (C)
73. Cam Dineen (D)
91. Filip Gustavsson (G)

He won't last that far. With the season he is having, he will be a 1st rounder for sure !! We might have to use the Pit's pick on him because he won't get past Detroit or Ottawa

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If we end up with 4th and EDM ends up with 2nd or 3rd, do you think we end up with one of the Finns?
I can't see them picking another forward. If they keep the pick you have to think they would go with Chychrun, or would they draft a Finn and trade others?

I can see Edmonton trading their pick. End up with 1 of the 3 D prospects from the draft plus another D in the trade.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
He won't last that far. With the season he is having, he will be a 1st rounder for sure !! We might have to use the Pit's pick on him because he won't get past Detroit or Ottawa

I'd spend our second rounder on him and grab a goalie with the next one. No chance I use the Pens pick on him though. There are much better players available where the pick will fall.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Interesting period on SN for the draft eligible Spitfires! A bit of good and a bit of bad...

Sergachev took a hit with the puck in his own end that led to a Frontenacs goal. Didn't show a ton of emotion to get back up and battle and eventually knocked a loose puck in the slot weakly to the blue line and the D-man Desroches put it through a screen into the net. The good was he showed good poise with the puck throughout the rest of the period and we saw his big shot on display a few times, one almost leading to a rebound goal. I'm a big Sergachev fan but I've seen better periods out of him.

Stanley was the most impressive Spitfire draft eligible in the first, saw his poise and skating on display, and some physical play with a big hit in the neutral zone. Loved seeing him lead the rush in the mid-first too. He's come a long way this season.

Brown was the least noticeable to me in the first, but I think he had a good period. Saw his puck protection and cycling skills on display and his line hemmed Kingston in for a while. You can see he keeps his head up and is looking for passing lanes while protecting the puck so that's a positive. Like his game as I think it will translate to the next level pretty well.

Good first period overall! Go Fronts

Last edited:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Brown with 1G, 1A so far. He'd been better this period.

Sergachev gets the assist on Lemieux's tally.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Brown was the least noticeable to me in the first, but I think he had a good period. Saw his puck protection and cycling skills on display and his line hemmed Kingston in for a while. You can see he keeps his head up and is looking for passing lanes while protecting the puck so that's a positive. Like his game as I think it will translate to the next level pretty well.
still wonder if it's a good idea taking a 6'6 forward in the 1st round. There's a reason pro forwards aren't giants.

looks like he can stick handle a bit when he's got space but a lot of the NHL is playing in traffic and I could see him struggling with the stuff that takes lightning quick stick-work. And that is a lot of stuff.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Chychrun at 4.

OR

Trade down a few spots from 4, take Nylander or Dubois around 7. Use the gained assets towards trading up from the Pens 1st, and take one of Sergachyov or Juolevi.

I'm definitely hoping to come out of the 1st round with a stud defender or two...Fabbro and McAvoy have my eye if we stand pat with the Pens 1st.

Our potential top 6 in about 5 years:

Rielly - Zaitsev
Chychrun - Fabbro
Dermott - Neilson

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
One things for sure, whoever we pick, I'm going to love no matter what because that's how much I trust Hunte.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I think there used to be a rule if you played four years of junior
You could play in the AHL even though you may be only nineteen

Wonder why they changed it. I thought it was great for kids who had nothing left to prove I. Junior but couldn't make it yet in the NHL

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
2. Patrik Laine (RW)
18. German Rubtsov (W)
31. Carter Hart (G)
58. Ryan Lindgren (D)
73. Riley Stilman (D)

My board right now!

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
In the case that the Leafs are picking 4th overall, I would be ok with Chychrun, if Leafs management project him becoming a #1 defensemen in the future. Same thing for Dubois, if they feel he's going to develop into a 1st line center, I would be ok with that as well.

When you're potentially picking as high as 4th overall, you need to make sure whoever you're picking is going to be a #1 center, a #1 defensemen, or a #1 winger. If whoever they plan on selecting doesn't meet the criteria of being a 1st line center or winger, or a #1 defensemen, they shouldn't be considered at our pick, with the countless number of prospects in the draft.

This also holds true if you have a 1st round pick or 2nd round pick, Leafs management should be asking themselves if whether the guy they are planning on selecting will likely end up being a #1 center, a #1 defensemen, or a #1 winger.

Last edited:

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Just watched Sergachev on TV today. Love his poise! He always appears super calm, but then gets aggressive and physical seemingly out of nowhere. Good puck skills and high hockey IQ to boot.

Man, the Leafs need that Pens pick and to move up to the 11 or 12 range where they may be able to snag this guy. He fits a specific D need for this team.

Matthews and Sergachev
or
Dubois and Sergachev

A man can dream.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Draft dubois and do whatever it takes to get sergachev including trading bozak and other picks to get him

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I am just saying I would be more than happy throwing him in to sweeten the pot to get that deal done

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
After thinking about it some more I'd easily take Chychrun here, he has elite tools and plays a smart game and has flashed high end offence. He may not be Ekblad or Doughty, but I think he's atleast in the Pietriangelo tier of OHL defenders. There is a chance he end up like Bogosian, but I think thats his floor.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I wish people would understand that Edmonton won't take a D if they are top 3. No matter how good a D is, there's still some development needed. They don't have the time for that. They need PROVEN guys. Guys like Drai and McDavid and Nurse will be coming off ELC deals and need extensions and they won't have the cap space or the time to develop guys in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad