2016 NHL Entry Draft - 12 picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Chychrun will continue to fall as the year goes on. He was ranked #2 going into this year, and I wouldnt be surprised come draft time he falls to 8th or later.

There should be concerns from a player that has continued to drop in the rankings. I mean look at a guy like Gormley, was suppose to go top 5 but he fell for a reason.

Bad feet for Gormley...not at all the same for Chychrun.

Lots of players drop and most for no good reason other than others playing well.

Chychrun is a good D man and if we get a top 3 pick it will not be an issue. If we get the 4th, I say move back a few spots and select him.

His shoulder would be my only concern...he did not make the world Jr team but coming off that injury it is no surprise.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
You can always trade for a need if one aspect of your organization is deep. The Leafs will have lots of forward skill to trade for a dman if need be, ala the Johansen/Jones trade.

No, no you can't. These trades are not that common. The Preds were deep with d-men signed and the Blue Jackets had almost given up on Johansen. Most of the time teams will hold on to their stud d or big center.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
You can always trade for a need if one aspect of your organization is deep. The Leafs will have lots of forward skill to trade for a dman if need be, ala the Johansen/Jones trade.

While you can always make a trade, I am of the belief that in trades like this, generally the team with the defenceman can command a greater return than an equivalent forward.

In the case of Johansen and Jones, it should be noted that Johnansen was significantly more proven and established in the NHL than Jones is. While some point to Jones being two years younger as an asset in this case, I do reply by saying in 2 years there is no guarantee that he is a no 2 defenceman, and Columbus traded a legit 1C in Johansen.

I think the reason for this is because its harder to fine elite level defensive prospects who dont have a major risk.

My only fear is this: lets say we draft a forward and its the Finns or a forward at 4. Logic would say we can use Marner or Kapanen as trade bait for D. However, teams are going to ask for Nylander. Especially if we dont draft Matthews, which isnt very likely, Nylander is a non-starter because he is a Center

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dmen drafted in first 6 picks since 2008 and their current positions on their teams

Doughty (1)
Bogosian (2-4)
Schenn (6)

Hedman (1)
OEL (1)

Gudbranson (4)

Larsson (4)

Murray (2) * Still developing
Reinhart (5/6) *still developing
Rielly (1) *Still developing
Lindholm (2-4) * still developing

Jones (1/2)

Ekblad (1)

Hannifin (4) * Still developing

Its a pretty safe gamble to select the highly touted Chychrun at #4

Gudbranson has been good for Florida this year, you could put him as a 3-4 guy, he's on that 2nd pairing because both he and Ekblad are righties :)

Bad feet for Gormley...not at all the same for Chychrun.

Lots of players drop and most for no good reason other than others playing well.

Chychrun is a good D man and if we get a top 3 pick it will not be an issue. If we get the 4th, I say move back a few spots and select him.

His shoulder would be my only concern...he did not make the world Jr team but coming off that injury it is no surprise.

Shouldn't hasn't been an issue all year for him.

I know people will also point out the offense for him, it's not really an issue.

Sarnia doesn't produce that much offense. Before Kocecny arrived, only Zacha was barely above a point per game. Hard to rack up points if the team can't score.

I also use this example, right now Rielly plays for the Leafs and makes a lead pass up to Boyes, Spaling, Greening etc, and he likely doesn't get a point because odds are that forward isn't going to convert on the chance.

Put Rielly on Washington and he has 50-60 points because of the fire power he has around him.

I think Chychrun can be a 35-55 point top pairing guy who can be effective offensively and defensively for a team

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hard to trade wingers for defenseman. We don't have a surplus of #1-2 centres to convert in a deal.

It's easy to take Matthews and then focus on a defenseman after the fact but if we pick #2 and get Laine, we're now building around team around high quality wingers again with not much on defense and only Nylander at centre.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Gudbranson has been good for Florida this year, you could put him as a 3-4 guy, he's on that 2nd pairing because both he and Ekblad are righties :)

Shouldn't hasn't been an issue all year for him.

I know people will also point out the offense for him, it's not really an issue.

Sarnia doesn't produce that much offense. Before Kocecny arrived, only Zacha was barely above a point per game. Hard to rack up points if the team can't score.

I also use this example, right now Rielly plays for the Leafs and makes a lead pass up to Boyes, Spaling, Greening etc, and he likely doesn't get a point because odds are that forward isn't going to convert on the chance.

Put Rielly on Washington and he has 50-60 points because of the fire power he has around him.

I think Chychrun can be a 35-55 point top pairing guy who can be effective offensively and defensively for a team

I agree that Sarnia focus is not offense and he is second in scoring on that team and producing well. His coach calls him a great leader and if anyone would know what a great leader is it is Hatcher!

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Still better odds than anyone else. And our "floor", at 4th OA, is still very good.

That's true.

30th place team: 52% chance at 1-3, 48% chance at 4+, 0% chance at 5+

29th place team: 39% chance at 1-3, 61% chance at 4+, 26% chance at 5+

28th place team: 34% chance at 1-3, 66% chance at 4+, 52% chance at 5+

The last place team still has a pretty good chance at drafting 4th overall, but it is the only team with a 50% shot at 1-3 as well. The system still gives you an incentive to finish in last.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010

They're 7th in the O in goals for. He's played with Konecny for half the season, and Konecny is at 1.67 with Sarnia.

He's not exactly playing with the Guelph Storm.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Chychrun will continue to fall as the year goes on. He was ranked #2 going into this year, and I wouldnt be surprised come draft time he falls to 8th or later.

There should be concerns from a player that has continued to drop in the rankings. I mean look at a guy like Gormley, was suppose to go top 5 but he fell for a reason.

You wouldn't be surprised if he fell further, however he has been elite in the 2nd half of the season and was just named OHL dman of the month. Gormley is nothing like Chychrun.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Leafs have to stop building from the Wingers IN and need to focus on higher priority positions of #1D and #1C.

Leafs need to draft the top C or top D as projected by Mark Hunter with this pick.

Easier said than done. It can be dangerous to draft by need. Defencemen seem to be a bit more difficult to predict than forwards probably due to fact it takes them a bit longer to develop. We have also seen a ton of really good defenceman who did not go top 5 in the draft (Keith, Karlsson, Weber, Subban etc) so it's possible to find that franchise Dman with a later pick.

Ideally I'm sure everyone would love to see us draft Matthews, but I would be very hesitant to take someone like Chychrun in the top 3 ahead of one of the Finns. Its not like this the last year we will have top 5 pick.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Just spitballing here.
Let's say we end up 16th with the Pitts pick, 31 with our 2nd rounder, and 59th with Washington.

And say Columbus/Arizona/Vancouver has #7
Do you think a package of #16 #31 #59 would be enough to pry away the #7 pick to pick one of Nylander/Tkachuk?

All hypothetical.

assuming we get a top 3 pick to start I would make a move back up to grab Sergachyov/Juolevi. Hell I'd jump back up to take Dubois too.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
when your looking at a forward prospects skills, you consider his stick handling and puck work, his dekes and dangles, can he get by players with the puck through all 3 zones, his passing and vision, his shot, and his skating, its smoothness and speed.....then u give them a number from 1 to 5, ranging from below avg-average-good-great-elite

where do u people see elite dynamic skills from dubois? i see very good skills all around which is great...hes a good skater but hes not gonna explode down a rink like puljujarvi...he doesnt consistently dance the puck through 3 zones with elite puck skills and speed, doesnt dangle and deke by ppl like marner/matthews/strome...his passing is very good but not elite...he can shoot the puck but hes not some laine like sniper...wtf, u look for elite skills like matthews, eichel, marner even strome when ur this high, like i saw elite skills from strome whom is about dubois size, u cant say u see the same skillset from dubois...u dont look for very good-great skills this high

hes being rated in the 5-12 range, averaging out around the 7-8th pick for a reason...am i missing something, do u see elite stuff from dubois cus i dont

Not disagreeing that the Finns have more offensive flair, but sometimes being quietly affective and efficient is just as valueable as having that offensive flair. Players like Toews and Bergeron are definitely not as flashy as some other players in the NHL, but extremely valueable to winning games.

Certainly going to be interesting to see who we target at this draft.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
People can tweet all the sobering thoughts they want, going to the bottom is still the best chance a team has for high picks. Yeah the new system punishes the teams for finishing at the bottom to a degree, but it doesn't make a better option available for them to take.

I'll take 50% of a shot at top 3 and a guarantee of 4th overall over the other options.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They're 7th in the O in goals for. He's played with Konecny for half the season, and Konecny is at 1.67 with Sarnia.

He's not exactly playing with the Guelph Storm.

Scoring by committee though, again, before Kocecny arrived, only Zacha was above a point per game. That's not an offensive power house.

Lion15

Apr 18, 2015
Kawartha Lakes
Drafting 4th could be a blessing in disguise b/c Hunter and Co. would likely want the #1D in the draft. It's up for debate between Chychrun and Juolevi , either of which I would be completely happy with.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
this is becoming a very evident issue. We have Reilly and Gardiner. Maybe Zaitsev will make top four? I don't know, watching Soshy play
gives me some hope for a mature KHL import at the top of the league.
And that's it. I have not been blown away by Carrick like some people and the rest all look like 5/6 if we are lucky.
Dermott, Nielson and crew are years away.
Chychrun looking good for me if we pick 4th.

I think Travis Dermott will surprise people. Was very impressed by what I saw of him last year in the pre-season. He plays a very pro style game. I could see him spending one year with the Marlies and making the jump to the NHL the following season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think Travis Dermott will surprise people. Was very impressed by what I saw of him last year in the pre-season. He plays a very pro style game. I could see him spending one year with the Marlies and making the jump to the NHL the following season.

Yeah but that's pre-season and he's doing well in the OHL...but don't wanna put too many eggs in so few baskets. We really need to get more defense prospects.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
So far, Andrew Nielsen looks fantastic for a Draft+1 D.

Agree that the Leafs need more quality prospects on the back-end for sure though.

D usually get picked early, and go in bunches at the draft. Might cause a very good forward to drop because of that, and by the time the Leafs 2nd first rounder comes around, it'll be interesting to see the quality of forward prospect available vs quality of D.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
assuming we get a top 3 pick to start I would make a move back up to grab Sergachyov/Juolevi. Hell I'd jump back up to take Dubois too.

I would not come out of the top 3. Would prefer to package pitts pick with prospects or 2nd or whatever is needed to get into top 10 area for sergachev or 'settle' for mcavoy with the Pitts pick.

In It 2 Winnik

TankArmy4Puljujarvi
Dec 28, 2013
Toronto
If we land 4, I think we need to take Chychrun. Then package PIT 1st, WSH 2nd, + for #11sh and take a goal scorer in Gauthier and Hart with our pick in the 2nd. Obviously I prefer Mathews / Laine but this wouldn't be too bad of a scenario.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Age and Primary Points in the CHL

Name/Age/Primary Points
Labanc 19.8 94
Garland 19.5 93
Marner 18.4 85
Dvorak 19.6 82
Hunt 19.8 82
Hawryluk 19.7 82
Perron 19.4 81
Amadio 19.3 80
Brooks 19.4 80
D'Aoust 19.5 78
Mangiapane 19.4 78
Dubois 17.2 75

All of the players ahead of Dubois in primary points except for one (Marner) are more than two years older than Dubois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany