Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 31st Overall - Yegor Korshkov - RW - Lokomotiv Yaroslav [6-4/180]

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
why? he isn't more important than any other wing prospect we have, unless you mean purely on size which we don't have a lot I of I guess

Size and potential. He's a 31st overall pick and representative of Hunter-era scouting. We need him to pan out and be a cheap contract to replace older, more expensive wingers.

Wouldn't say he's more important but it would be nice to inject some skill+size on the wing.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
outside of size same can be said of every single winger we have though. Plus we will have more draft picks to come including 2 2nds this year (obviously a 1st too). Hunter also picked Dzierkals, Bracco and Timashov in 2015 so they are also representative of "hunter-era" scouting (in terms of wingers)

Agree that there's a ton of talent in our winger prospect ranks, but can see how having talent in a bigger package could be very useful for us. We've struggled against some big western teams this year (LA, St. Louis) and it would be nice to turn those tables a bit, having a glut of talent is the most important thing but there may be some foreseeable matchup issues if our future top 9 has 5-6 guys who are sub 6' and 185lbs

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Wouldn't say he's more important but it would be nice to inject some skill+size on the wing.

Agree that there's a ton of talent in our winger prospect ranks, but can see how having talent in a bigger package could be very useful for us. We've struggled against some big western teams this year (LA, St. Louis) and it would be nice to turn those tables a bit, having a glut of talent is the most important thing but there may be some foreseeable matchup issues if our future top 9 has 5-6 guys who are sub 6' and 185lbs

agree based on size for sure. I guess it should of said "our most important big wing prospect". Out of all our picks any of them making it at any point is huge, especially once ELC's start coming up and players want too much money but I don't think our current prospect cycle will have anything to do with that.

The first ELC's to be up in terms of big $$ will be 4 core pieces so we wont need to ship them out and replace them cheaper (Zaitsev, Nylander, Marner and Matthews) and the others to end in that time frame wont cost much at all (Hyman, brown and Sosh) so basically the players needed to replace high scoring and priced future wingers at the end of ELC haven't even been drafted yet (or are long shots like Brooks, Walker etc). Basically if Kapanen scores but isn't going to get the $$ he want after ELC then a player hopefully is there to come up

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
agree based on size for sure. I guess it should of said "our most important big wing prospect". Out of all our picks any of them making it at any point is huge, especially once ELC's start coming up and players want too much money but I don't think our current prospect cycle will have anything to do with that.

The first ELC's to be up in terms of big $$ will be 4 core pieces so we wont need to ship them out and replace them cheaper (Zaitsev, Nylander, Marner and Matthews) and the others to end in that time frame wont cost much at all (Hyman, brown and Sosh) so basically the players needed to replace high scoring and priced future wingers at the end of ELC haven't even been drafted yet (or are long shots like Brooks, Walker etc). Basically if Kapanen scores but isn't going to get the $$ he want after ELC then a player hopefully is there to come up

I'd like to see one or two of Brown/Sosh/Hyman take longer term low-money deals, especially Brown. Would be nice to have a few ancillary pieces in place to solidify the roster going forward and maybe put us in really good shape if we see some bigger cap movement in the next few years. Maybe 4-5 years for Brown at $2.5Mish

I don't think there's a prospect who's not on the roster that we can reasonably say that we're depending on either, like everyone who's left is just a lottery ticket, so their "importance" is pretty marginal to me. It would be nice if Korshkov turned out because of the size, but we can address that role in different ways if we need to

If there's any dependence on the non-roster prospects, I think it's on the group to fill x number of roster spots competently, not on individual players - just would be nice if those who turn out aren't all smurfs

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'd like to see one or two of Brown/Sosh/Hyman take longer term low-money deals, especially Brown. Would be nice to have a few ancillary pieces in place to solidify the roster going forward and maybe put us in really good shape if we see some bigger cap movement in the next few years. Maybe 4-5 years for Brown at $2.5Mish

I don't think there's a prospect who's not on the roster that we can reasonably say that we're depending on either, like everyone who's left is just a lottery ticket, so their "importance" is pretty marginal to me. It would be nice if Korshkov turned out because of the size, but we can address that role in different ways if we need to

If there's any dependence on the non-roster prospects, I think it's on the group to fill x number of roster spots competently, not on individual players - just would be nice if those who turn out aren't all smurfs

I think Hyman for 5 yrs $2.5-3 is reasonable I just think Brown is a better player and should get more but if they take it great. Im also in the boat of max contracts for Matthews, Marner and Nylander, Basically it has taken 10+ years to get a 1C now we have a franchise one pretty much blank check for Matthews @ 8 years. Then Marner and Nylander matching 8x$7ish contracts and build around them from there, I think when they start evening out Nylander and Marner will be similar players but Nylander as a C would make up any advantage Marner would have.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Can he make the jump to the NHL next year?

6'4 200ish would be a huge asset to our team, especially on the cycle game. He'll be 21 years old too.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Can he make the jump to the NHL next year?

6'4 200ish would be a huge asset to our team, especially on the cycle game. He'll be 21 years old too.

maybe, I cant wait to get a glimpse of him in camp if he is there next year. I have only seen him listed as 184 pounds (could be out of date) but at 6'4" 184 is incredibly light even 200 pounds isn't big for a kid that tall. I hope what his agent said is true and we can at least get him to the marlies next year

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
maybe, I cant wait to get a glimpse of him in camp if he is there next year. I have only seen him listed as 184 pounds (could be out of date) but at 6'4" 184 is incredibly light even 200 pounds isn't big for a kid that tall. I hope what his agent said is true and we can at least get him to the marlies next year

Eliteprospects has him listed at 187 but i'm just guessing he probably can reach 200 by next season, simply by filling out his frame. I'm sure management has him on some kind of diet plan to put on a little size.

Getting him to the Marlies as soon as possible would be a really good idea too.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think Hyman for 5 yrs $2.5-3 is reasonable I just think Brown is a better player and should get more but if they take it great. Im also in the boat of max contracts for Matthews, Marner and Nylander, Basically it has taken 10+ years to get a 1C now we have a franchise one pretty much blank check for Matthews @ 8 years. Then Marner and Nylander matching 8x$7ish contracts and build around them from there, I think when they start evening out Nylander and Marner will be similar players but Nylander as a C would make up any advantage Marner would have.

The Komarov signing is probably something of a benchmark for all of them, but Lamariello is known for how well he negotiates and I think there was plenty of reason to say that both Kadri and Rielly got less than precedent contracts might have suggested. I guess not worth banking on but I'm hopeful that we see some more discounts going forward including Zaitsev/Brown/Hyman/Sosh

I think we also need to start debuting some of these winger prospects to get to know what we have for when it comes time to start replacing guys. If we think Korshkov/Grundstrom could take the JVR role then that really opens up options for trading JVR in the summer and maybe using those returns to get a RHD

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Khl starts in Aug I think. Not sure if he will make camp unless he is opting out of his last year with the K.
I'm guessing the timeline clash could someone confirm this please?

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Looks like he's playing in the MHL at the moment; a conditioning stint before the start of the KHL playoffs (only a few games left in the season).

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
outside of size same can be said of every single winger we have though. Plus we will have more draft picks to come including 2 2nds this year (obviously a 1st too). Hunter also picked Dzierkals, Bracco and Timashov in 2015 so they are also representative of "hunter-era" scouting (in terms of wingers)

I could care less who among our prospects eventually makes an impact on the Big Team. If it happens to be, say, Bracco instead of Korshkov, so be it.

But as of this moment, not knowing what the future holds, I have bigger expectations for Korshkov than others because he was a relatively high pick at 31st overall. And as you mentioned, he's got the size. To me, being 6'4 is a big deal when you don't have many other high end prospects that big.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I could care less who among our prospects eventually makes an impact on the Big Team. If it happens to be, say, Bracco instead of Korshkov, so be it.

But as of this moment, not knowing what the future holds, I have bigger expectations for Korshkov than others because he was a relatively high pick at 31st overall. And as you mentioned, he's got the size. To me, being 6'4 is a big deal when you don't have many other high end prospects that big.

we have some prospects that aren't tall but thick this guy currently is the opposite tall and very thin (if 184 or 187 is still accurate) some people cant add weight. but I see your point I don't think the pick matters what so ever but the height is something we just don't have a lot of and would love for him to pan out

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
why? he isn't more important than any other wing prospect we have, unless you mean purely on size which we don't have a lot I of I guess

Size and potential. He's a 31st overall pick and representative of Hunter-era scouting. We need him to pan out and be a cheap contract to replace older, more expensive wingers.

You guys all kind of covered it here. But:

1. Draft position. Down the road this may not matter depending on who pans out and who doesn't, but at this stage, he's the 31st overall pick. So I put more importance/pressure to succeed over someone drafted later than him.

2. To a lesser degree, type of prospect. We are lacking in this type and if he pans out, that's very important from that aspect.

A 2nd round pick that you can basically call a late 1st is a critical pick no matter what.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If this has been asked and covered - I apologize but does anyone know exactly what his leg injury was?

there is an article 1 page back from sportsnet saying it was a broken leg, do you mean exactly which bone he broke in his leg?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yes. Is there any detail about what bone(s) broke, where? Femur, tibia, knee area?

right I thought you meant that. I don't think it has been put out there, although I slightly remember seeing femur somewhere in a tweet maybe but cant be sure.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
went back and watched the vid of the hit, contact looks femur-ish but there really isn't a good angle, you can't see what's happening with the low leg/knee when it happens

A broken femur take 4-6 months to recover. That's a huge bone and would be a serious hurdle.
Fibula is probably the best of the bad to happen. It's a non weight bearing bone so it will not be nearly as detrimental

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
A broken femur take 4-6 months to recover. That's a huge bone and would be a serious hurdle.
Fibula is probably the best of the bad to happen. It's a non weight bearing bone so it will not be nearly as detrimental

Ya I was thinking a shin bone made more sense with the narrative and healing timeline. He doesn't really grab at a particular area when he's on the ice either, the replay wasn't much help. Femur breaks usually come with major muscle atrophy and rehab time from what I've seen too

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
what was stamkos official diagnosis? wasn't he out 8 weeks or was he longer? maybe it was similar to stamkos?

Stamkos was the tibia, also lower leg but more serious as it's the weight bearing bone for the lower leg. Stammer came back in record time but he's speed was lacking when he played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad