2016 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Why is everyone talking about Toronto giving up their 3rd this year, can't they wait til next draft? Have they already decided?

Where are the exact draft positions for the wings this year?

Yeah i just assume from the sound of things, That Toronto was giving us their 2017 3rd round pick. I saw it on capfriendly but some of the other sites don't show the pick for 2017 so i'm a bit confused on if we will get the 2016 or 2017 3rd rounder.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Why is everyone talking about Toronto giving up their 3rd this year, can't they wait til next draft? Have they already decided?

Where are the exact draft positions for the wings this year?

I don't think they've officially announced if it will be this or next year. The wings positions are:
Toronto's pick will be 61 if we get it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It seems like this draft is Dmen deep. I like what i am reading about Girard. If Kenny does trade back, hopefully it is to pick more Dmen in the later rounds.

Some people think Girard is the best PPQB in the entire draft. His highlights are downright filthy. Some of the passes he makes, and his vision on the PP seem like they are really high end.

Just a tiny bit scared he goes the Adam Almqvist route...

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Craig Button has Detroit taking Jake Bean at 16th in his latest ranking.

The high-risk, high-reward pick isn't a favorite of mine, though. He plays a lot like Keith Yandle, from what I've read : great offensively but only so-so defensively.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300

The high-risk, high-reward pick isn't a favorite of mine, though. He plays a lot like Keith Yandle, from what I've read : great offensively but only so-so defensively.

Personally I'd take Fabbro over Bean.

That said, if his mock draft were to hold up, Winnipeg come out HUGE winners getting Laine AND Rubstov in the first.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Bean is one of the last ones I would pick

Fabbro and mcavoy (spelt it wrong I bet) I would take instead

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Not really all that interested in Jake Bean.

If either fall to Detroit at #16 i would much rather have either McAvoy or Fabbro instead.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pretty torn on Bean. Kind of feels like he could be another Kindl/Smith, but if our scouts like him I would have to hope for the best.

Would be very happy with any of McAvoy/Fabbro/Kunin/Rubtsov

That's assuming one of the big 3 D men don't fall, or any of Jost/Brown/McLeod don't fall.

Lots of good options for us, IMO

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Remember that old story about how Vancouver only took Edler because they found out Detroit wanted him?

So... which defender does Nashville want?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Encouraging comments on Girard and Mete, who may be 2nd RD options

23. Samuel Girard, D, Shawinigan (QMJHL)
DOB: 5/12/98 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 162
GP: 46 | G: 17 | A: 16

One of the most dangerous draft-eligible offensive defensemen the QMJHL has seen in decades, Girard was great the past two seasons. He's an elite skater and one of the most elusive small-space skaters I've seen in a few years. Although he isn't going to dangle on end-to-end rushes every game, he has the ability to make high-level offensive plays. I don't love his shot, but he's very good at creating for his teammates and opening up the ice. Girard's main knock is his size, as he comes in at a sturdy 5-foot-9. He won't win a ton of battles, but he's competitive, doesn't tend to cross the line with penalties and can win a least a handful of puck battles.

42. Victor Mete, D, London (OHL)
DOB: 6/7/98 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 174
GP: 68 | G: 8 | A: 30

Mete was a favorite of mine this season. On a team full of superstar prospects in London, he found a way to consistently stand out. Mete is one of the best skaters in this draft class. He can explode up the ice and lead a rush as well as anybody in the CHL, and he is quite agile. His puck skills aren't high-end, but he can make some plays in open ice, and he moves the puck around well. He's a small defender, but he is actually quite solid defensively and was often relied on by London in key defensive situations. Although he isn't perfect in that area, mainly due to his size, his skating and quality hockey IQ allow him to make some stops. He'll need to bulk up a ton, but he has significant pro upside.

Good to see both these guys have plus skating abilities, since they are small defenseman.

Also really liked these comments on Dineen:

41. Cam Dineen, D, North Bay (OHL)
DOB: 6/19/98 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 183
GP: 68 | G: 13 | A: 46

A Toms River, New Jersey, native, Dineen was one of the biggest surprises of the season, as he came out of relative nowhere (he was considered only a decent prospect in the summer) to be one of the top-scoring defensemen in the CHL. Dineen has good raw offensive qualities; he brings above-average mobility and hands to the table. However, the biggest reason for his success is his hockey sense. Dineen is one of the smartest players in the draft. He takes the extra second to make a play and evades pressure as well as anyone. His timing on his passes is always spot-on, and he knows when and when not to jump up into the attack. In fact, his hockey sense has allowed him to be a not only competent but also useful defensive defenseman, in spite of his size. He isn't an overly flashy player, but he has shown this season that he can be a very effective two-way defenseman. Teams that can overlook his size might land a gem.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Good to see both these guys have plus skating abilities, since they are small defenseman.

Yeah...I'm a big fan of Dineen. He's definitely one of the guys I'd be very happy with in the second. I like the Mete and Girard as well but Dineen really feels like one of those guys we'll look back and wonder why he wasn't a first rounder.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I might be in the minority, but I don't really get the attraction of Mete. I am not opposed to taking an undersized defensemen, but they sure as **** better have elite skill. So yes to Girard, no to Mete.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I might be in the minority, but I don't really get the attraction of Mete. I am not opposed to taking an undersized defensemen, but they sure as **** better have elite skill. So yes to Girard, no to Mete.
Based on their names alone I can tell Mete is likely going to bust and Girard has a great chance of becoming a star.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Well, how many other d men in this draft are as skilled as Girard?

Kind of unfair comparison. Believe the draw to Mete would be good skill, elite skating, and very good hockey sense.

Risky pick though.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
whats the difference between Mete and Saarajarvi really? Villi has a better shot, Mete is faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad