2016 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I really hope we draft Rubstov.

Yeah I'm definitely a fan. He's got tremendous upside and is already so complete. I'd definitely prefer a d- man but if we go forward I'd like Rubstov. He's got #2 center behind Larkin written all over him.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Anyone know the Wings plans? I thought there was plenty of talk the Wings were high on Larkin by this time this year. Think I remember someone saying the Wings liked Jake Bean...or am I making that up?

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
I really hope we draft Rubstov.

Definitely like him too. Shades of Datsyuk.

Saw this from a month ago on Twitter:

German Rubtsov will fly to Detroit on 15-th of May to prepare for the #NHLDraft combine, hopes to be selected in the 1-st round.

Last edited:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Anyone know the Wings plans? I thought there was plenty of talk the Wings were high on Larkin by this time this year. Think I remember someone saying the Wings liked Jake Bean...or am I making that up?

There definitely was not talk about Larkin as the organization did everything they could to hide their interest in him. I think you are thinking about Svechnikov. St. James predicted Svechnikov to the Wings last year.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Definitely like him too. Shades of Datsyuk.

Saw this from a month ago on Twitter:

German Rubtsov will fly to Detroit on 15-th of May to prepare for the #NHLDraft combine, hopes to be selected in the 1-st round.
He has wings written all over him

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I wonder if the Wings have more appeal to Russians lately with Datsyuk, Svechnikov (and now with his brother living in Michigan as well), Marchenko, and potentially Radulov. A big question with Rubtsov would be: how willing is he to buy into the kind of thing the Wings are going to ask of him? (Play in GR, potentially for a couple of years, etc.)I guess you might not find that out until the combine.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I remember Khan predicted Larkin to Detroit the year before.

You could be right, but I think that is more conjecture and speculation on the part of people like Khan and HSJ than anything. I highly doubt that the brass is that explicit with the media.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
You could be right, but I think that is more conjecture and speculation on the part of people like Khan and HSJ than anything. I highly doubt that the brass is that explicit with the media.

I remember someone from management recently said they tried to show as little interest as possible in Larkin. I'm not even sure if the team interviewed him

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I wonder if the Wings have more appeal to Russians lately with Datsyuk, Svechnikov (and now with his brother living in Michigan as well), Marchenko, and potentially Radulov. A big question with Rubtsov would be: how willing is he to buy into the kind of thing the Wings are going to ask of him? (Play in GR, potentially for a couple of years, etc.)I guess you might not find that out until the combine.

He ain't playing in the ahl. Let alone a couple years

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I see some Joe Pavelski in Kunin... would not be mad if we pick him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I see rubtsov going in the early 20s in mocks... Trade back for an additional second?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think there is a big difference between drafting a Russian already playing in NA, and drafting a Russian playing in Russia.

I'm not really sold the Wings are comfortable drafting a Russian playing in Russia in the early rounds. It has been a very long time since we have seen that.

Edit: I think I said something similar about Svech last year, and we drafted him, so who knows lol

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I remember Khan predicted Larkin to Detroit the year before.

I don't follow draft standings that closely and such and only hear the big names around the Wings spot. In the Larkin draft, I totally expected him to be the selection. There was an article before the draft profiling him and his ties to Michigan and the Wings and so on.

If it was a secret, it wasn't a very good one if I picked up on it and I'm barely paying attention.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure Khan and HSJ were just going on who nhl.com had going to us in a mock draft.

I don't think that was any kind of tip. If I remember right. They don't put in a whole lot of work into that stuff, typically.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Defensive heavy draft

RD 1 : Mcavoy/Fabbro/Bean
RD 2: Green/Dineen/Clague
RD 4: Sambrook/Luce/Greenway
RD 5: Sissons/Quenneville/Priskie

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I see rubtsov going in the early 20s in mocks... Trade back for an additional second?

Yeah the more I look at things the less I want us to use 16 on him. If we use 16 it should be Fabbro, McAvoy or Bean. Rubstov should be available around 20 so we could probably move down about 4 picks and get a mid-second.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
What can people say about Rubtsov that differentiates him from Burmistrov?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah the more I look at things the less I want us to use 16 on him. If we use 16 it should be Fabbro, McAvoy or Bean. Rubstov should be available around 20 so we could probably move down about 4 picks and get a mid-second.

If we draft Rubstsov over McAvoy I will be pissed off.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have a hard time getting upset when you take the BPA. I think that would be the case here. Would like to get McAvoy, but I would rather have the ultra talented Russian if he is still on the board.

1) I think McAvoy is the BPA
2) We'll never have defenseman if we don't draft them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad