Pre-Game Talk: 2016 Canucks Development Camp

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I love how Stukel doesn't score as much as JV, or skate as fast, or play the physical game like JV, or have the shot JV has...but from one prospect scrimmage game, some posters are claiming Stukel is the better player.

TBF he did outscore Virtanen in their 18yo seasons (draft eligible+ 1).

JA

I love how Stukel doesn't score as much as JV, or skate as fast, or play the physical game like JV, or have the shot JV has...but from one prospect scrimmage game, some posters are claiming Stukel is the better player.

HF logic at its best.
It would be absurd to say that Stukel is a better prospect than Virtanen. Only one person has said this, and I am certain that nobody else here agrees with him.

It would not be unreasonable, however, to suggest that Stukel would have been drafted higher if this had been his first draft-eligible season. Considering the loss of his entire 2013-14 season, his development is a year behind and so his 2015-16 season represents what his first draft-eligible season might have been; this was only his sophomore season in the WHL, and he took a huge step forward from his rookie campaign. I feel that this most recent season with the Calgary Hitmen would have earned him a place somewhere in the first three rounds of the draft if he was a year younger, or even six months younger.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
It would be absurd to say that Stukel is a better prospect than Virtanen. Only one person has said this, and I am certain that nobody else here agrees with him.

It would not be unreasonable, however, to suggest that Stukel would have been drafted higher if this had been his first draft-eligible season. Considering the loss of his entire 2013-14 season, his development is a year behind and so his 2015-16 season represents what his first draft-eligible season might have been; this was only his sophomore season in the WHL, and he took a huge step forward from his rookie campaign. I feel that this most recent season with the Calgary Hitmen would have earned him a place somewhere in the first three rounds of the draft if he was a year younger, or even six months younger.

I agree. I think it's a great draft pick, I just don't agree with that poster slamming JV and claiming Stukel is the far superior player. I for one am happy to have both players.

Last edited:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
It's good that JV is being severely underrated now. My god the kid is only 20 this year and actually put up some points in the NHL last year. I think he will surprise many people.

I think in this day and age where were able to discuss players more on the internet we have begin to really underrate older players, overrate young players and become really impatient with our prospects. Not performing at 19 year old??? BUST. In reality players start hitting their stride at 23+.

For the people claiming that Stuckel is anywhere close to Virtanen and comparing it based on points. Let me just say this, in 2008 I did that with many of our prospects (ie Dan Gendur and his PPG). What happened? None of those players made it to the big league. Before you get too excited with our late round picks, just as a reference I was excited as well back in 2008, and most of them bust out. So while you're still here, better to invest more time on your first round picks anything pass the third round is a great bonus.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Every year there's a kid or two that folks get hyped up about due to prospect camp or the tourney. It's the way it goes.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
No I meant the
Skutel >Virtanen thing

JV is overrated and a bad pick at 6. Hes still ok and hopefully improves and makes the team and makes me eat my words. Right now Stukel looks pretty good so I THINK it would be good if hes better. I thought was funny people complained about Ronning not being picked above Stukel. Clear now? :shakehead

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
JV is overrated and a bad pick at 6. Hes still ok and hopefully improves and makes the team and makes me eat my words. Right now Stukel looks pretty good so I THINK it would be good if hes better. I thought was funny people complained about Ronning not being picked above Stukel. Clear now? :shakehead

...not really

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Looks good at a summer development camp eh? I'm assuming you think Ronning wouldn't look equally good or better at a glorified game of shinny?

It's way too soon to say anything about any of these guys looking "good" or "better than so and so". Look at it this way, if they DON'T look good at this camp then they aren't even long shot NHL prospects. Looking "good" is the minimum expectation, not any sort of great indication of a steal.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Mostly true. But occasionally some young kid does really impress and ends up as an NHL player.

Of course, but these events will be problematic if you take conclusions from them without putting it in context.

Hutton was one who panned out, but people were silly to be sleeping on him beforehand. It's not like he suddenly got good at dev camp one summer.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
I haven't read much about him. He had a fantastic year (all things considered) and I'm pretty excited for him.

Watched Olson a lot this past year. Steady kid who skates well and makes good reads at both ends of the ice. Needs to be physically stronger but that will come with time. Linden did mention him in his latest prospects interview. They may have something with this pick but time will tell.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Watched Olson a lot this past year. Steady kid who skates well and makes good reads at both ends of the ice. Needs to be physically stronger but that will come with time. Linden did mention him in his latest prospects interview. They may have something with this pick but time will tell.

He has good height, lets hope he can get around the 200lb mark. He had a couple good fights this year too.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Haha, whatever

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Both Olson and Brisebois with very late birthdays in their draft years...basically drafted as 17-year olds.....you have to be impressed with the strides they've made since being drafted....if that upward development continues into the pro's, who knows what the ceiling is?..so hard to project d-men though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad